Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Default Re: Some advice for basketball players

I'm going to start training with the pro I met who plays in Germany. It's going to be hard cause I got to pay for the sessions myself but whatever, it's not like that money will be spent on a better purchase.

Still trying to save for a car though, my parents hate driving me to the gym and I need to go.

Side note: is there a reason why every time I try to jump higher when I shoot, I put more arc on the ball and subsequently lose range? It's pretty annoying because I can't add range. It seems like the higher I jump the more I lean back. My normal shot is pretty low, I jump around 4 inches I'm guessing. I use my arms more on my shot than my legs, because my range w/o jumping is around the same as it is jumping. Any ideas?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    I'm going to start training with the pro I met who plays in Germany. It's going to be hard cause I got to pay for the sessions myself but whatever, it's not like that money will be spent on a better purchase.

Still trying to save for a car though, my parents hate driving me to the gym and I need to go.

Side note: is there a reason why every time I try to jump higher when I shoot, I put more arc on the ball and subsequently lose range? It's pretty annoying because I can't add range. It seems like the higher I jump the more I lean back. My normal shot is pretty low, I jump around 4 inches I'm guessing. I use my arms more on my shot than my legs, because my range w/o jumping is around the same as it is jumping. Any ideas?
    alright good luck, tell us how it goes. Even though you're probably better than me, I think it's supposed to be all about your legs. I used to use 50% arms and 50% legs. Now I use 25% wrist, 5% arm, 65% legs, 5% everything else. I think you should just train to get more vertical jump, so you can naturally jump higher. I'm 5'6 and I can touch the rim of a 10,0 hoop I'm guessing(just need about 5 more inches on my vertical TO DUNK YEA and hopefully basketball training can do that).

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    alright good luck, tell us how it goes. Even though you're probably better than me, I think it's supposed to be all about your legs. I used to use 50% arms and 50% legs. Now I use 25% wrist, 5% arm, 65% legs, 5% everything else. I think you should just train to get more vertical jump, so you can naturally jump higher. I'm 5'6 and I can touch the rim of a 10,0 hoop I'm guessing(just need about 5 more inches on my vertical TO DUNK YEA and hopefully basketball training can do that).
    Damn dude you get up there. I'm 5'7" and have around a 30" max vertical but still can't even touch 9'6", it's because my standing reach is under 7'.

It's not my jumping ability that's a problem, but something else. My jump shot utilizes almost no jump and when I try and add some I end up adding more arc for some reason.

Definitely try and improve your athleticism, but remember not to over-emphasize dunking. I remember you said you were pressed for time so do what I do: instead of buying a vertical jump program, just incorporate some basic strength exercises in your workout. Squats, deadlifts at max effort and some box jumps.

Damn dude you get up there. I'm 5'7" and have around a 30" max vertical but still can't even touch 9'6", it's because my standing reach is under 7'.

It's not my jumping ability that's a problem, but something else. My jump shot utilizes almost no jump and when I try and add some I end up adding more arc for some reason.

Definitely try and improve your athleticism, but remember not to over-emphasize dunking. I remember you said you were pressed for time so do what I do: instead of buying a vertical jump program, just incorporate some basic strength exercises in your workout. Squats, deadlifts at max effort and some box jumps.
    What the hell man. When I jump straight up as hard as I can, it only seems like my vertical is 2-5 inches. When I jump with my knees to the chest
    it becomes like 45-50 inches.

Hmm, I don't know what the problem, because I'm not a pro in basketball experience. Right now though, I'm training in using more arc. I shoot 2 feet away from the basket and emphasize the basketball going up 4 feet over the rim. I'm slowly going out(at 5 feet lol. hopefully by winter will be close to 3 point line).

Yeah, I stopped going to my local gym because school started. The basketball practice involves hitting the gym every practice(2 practices a week for now, will probably increase.) It exhausts my legs(practiced yesterday and still sore like crazy, I couldn't shoot right today and had to use my arms which lead to a lot of hitting the backboard then the rim and going out).

Well the goodluck to you

What the hell man. When I jump straight up as hard as I can, it only seems like my vertical is 2-5 inches. When I jump with my knees to the chest
    it becomes like 45-50 inches.

Hmm, I don't know what the problem, because I'm not a pro in basketball experience. Right now though, I'm training in using more arc. I shoot 2 feet away from the basket and emphasize the basketball going up 4 feet over the rim. I'm slowly going out(at 5 feet lol. hopefully by winter will be close to 3 point line).

Yeah, I stopped going to my local gym because school started. The basketball practice involves hitting the gym every practice(2 practices a week for now, will probably increase.) It exhausts my legs(practiced yesterday and still sore like crazy, I couldn't shoot right today and had to use my arms which lead to a lot of hitting the backboard then the rim and going out).

Well the goodluck to you
    We're talking box jumps right? Where you tuck the knees and it measures the height from floor to landing spot? Because I got a little doubt when you said 45" vert.

For me, the further I go out the less arc I have to use. It makes it trickier because you have to be more precise but it gives me more power.

How did you season start already? For my school it's fall sports season and basketball doesn't start until late November/early December. 2 practices a week is great, it gives you more time to focus on individual development. The school team for me practices 5-6 times a week. The local rec center closed so I've been moving around going to every court available in town. It's pretty cool to shoot on different hoops and really see the differences.

Good luck to your season, and definitely keep us informed on how it goes!

College superstar

Don't try to jump higher on your jump shots unless it's absolutely necessary. It makes for a less consistent shot.

It looks impressive to get higher off the floor on jumpers, but it's not needed. Watch Paul Pierce or Manu. They both have no hops but get any shot they want.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Don't try to jump higher on your jump shots unless it's absolutely necessary. It makes for a less consistent shot.

It looks impressive to get higher off the floor on jumpers, but it's not needed. Watch Paul Pierce or Manu. They both have no hops but get any shot they want.
    Makes sense, but how do you get that extra range? I tried shooting some 3's today and as much legs as I used I couldn't get that kind of range. My shot efficiency drops as soon as I step past the 3 point line, the percentage drops significantly whereas right in front of it I can hit pretty consistently. Any idea how to add some range? Besides the legs?

Just got back from the Y, that was pretty cool. It was only the 2nd time I've ever been to a Y.

Did some drills involving spot up shooting and some finishing moves using pads, where someone hits me with the pad and I have to finish. Then did some cutting and screen work with some dude. He was D3 and was looking for people to train and it was great to have someone who wanted to do drills in a pickup environment. His shot was fire too.

My range wasn't too nice today though, I'll try scm5's advice tomorrow on the court.

We're talking box jumps right? Where you tuck the knees and it measures the height from floor to landing spot? Because I got a little doubt when you said 45" vert.

For me, the further I go out the less arc I have to use. It makes it trickier because you have to be more precise but it gives me more power.

How did you season start already? For my school it's fall sports season and basketball doesn't start until late November/early December. 2 practices a week is great, it gives you more time to focus on individual development. The school team for me practices 5-6 times a week. The local rec center closed so I've been moving around going to every court available in town. It's pretty cool to shoot on different hoops and really see the differences.

Good luck to your season, and definitely keep us informed on how it goes!
    Oh man, I didn't know you were talking about that. I thought you meant vertical as in how high I jump. I didn't know you were talking about the distance I jump. Maybe I got vertical testing wrong :O I thought it was your actual vertical jump from the height of your feet to the ground. I believe mine is around 30-35 if we're talking about that though.

Yeah, I'm still learning also. I believe they're are perfect angles for every situations, so I'm trying to learn them.

It's been pretty hard. A rush of freshmen have joined who only know how to shoot(1/4 of them are only good at shooting..and out of those 1/3 have handles and it gets lower and lower). The training coach pushes us too hard though. He makes us completely exhausted to the point of where we can't move at all for 30 seconds to minute.

Edit:Can you clarify for me again? Just tried testing what you said. It's between 48 inches-56 inches. I guess I was wrong again.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5

[COLOR="Sienna"]I agree, you dont need to jump higher to add range, just put some more legs into it[/COLOR]

Oh man, I didn't know you were talking about that. I thought you meant vertical as in how high I jump. I didn't know you were talking about the distance I jump. Maybe I got vertical testing wrong :O I thought it was your actual vertical jump from the height of your feet to the ground. I believe mine is around 30-35 if we're talking about that though.

Yeah, I'm still learning also. I believe they're are perfect angles for every situations, so I'm trying to learn them.

It's been pretty hard. A rush of freshmen have joined who only know how to shoot(1/4 of them are only good at shooting..and out of those 1/3 have handles and it gets lower and lower). The training coach pushes us too hard though. He makes us completely exhausted to the point of where we can't move at all for 30 seconds to minute.

Edit:Can you clarify for me again? Just tried testing what you said. It's between 48 inches-56 inches. I guess I was wrong again.
    I should clarify: when I say box jumps and "measure the height from floor to landing spot", I meant the height of the box. When testing vertical you don't measure height of feet to ground, which is a box jump. This is because like you said, you can tuck your feet in and technically add a couple inches to your jump. To get a true test, measure your standing reach, then measure your maximum reach point off any kind of jump, running or standstill (a true vertical is off a standstill). The highest point you get off that jump with your hand is the number you take, then subtract your standing reach.

How many teams does your school have? Mine has freshman, JV and varsity so rarely do freshman move up levels. I kind of prefer it that way.

Learning to shoot layups ghettoracer's Avatar

Makes sense, but how do you get that extra range? I tried shooting some 3's today and as much legs as I used I couldn't get that kind of range. My shot efficiency drops as soon as I step past the 3 point line, the percentage drops significantly whereas right in front of it I can hit pretty consistently. Any idea how to add some range? Besides the legs?
    first, practice 3's more. sounds like you're just not used to it. and when you do practice, think and try to feel the connection between your arm down to your leg. they need to be in sync for the better range. when you release at the ideal moment there should be an increase in range. lot of times when a shooter don't shoot long distance shots often enough they tend to release it slightly too late and miss the benefit of the leg power. it should be in one smooth motion.

ps, i think it should be helpful to practice right where your range threshold is and build it a one feet at a time. keep on doing it until your body/brain has a good imprint of the body mechanic needed...
    Last edited by ghettoracer; 09-11-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Worked out with the dude yesterday and his friend who did work with the Celtics, got some shots up and did some work on entry passes and cutting.

Best part was probably that I now have a plan I can follow for the next couple of weeks and see some improvements.

Also went over my desire to play in college with my parents, they kind of went with it so a great day overall.

Worked out with the dude yesterday and his friend who did work with the Celtics, got some shots up and did some work on entry passes and cutting.

Best part was probably that I now have a plan I can follow for the next couple of weeks and see some improvements.

Also went over my desire to play in college with my parents, they kind of went with it so a great day overall.
    Nice, care to tell us the workout schedule? / Yeah man! Follow your dreams.

Yeah, same for my school, Freshmen/JV/Varsity. I guess I'll just stay with the freshmen team. They need alot of help...

It also turned out that I'm 5,7(guess I grew an inch). Well, I don't know about my vertical. When I do touch the 10,0 rim, my calfs just get pulled and I fall back down, because it hurts. It only works about 3/4 of the times too. When I don't strain myself, I get about 9,0 in the air. Oh yeah, strange this is that I can touch a 10,0 rim at a 24 gym/ school gym but I can't dunk a 8,0 rim(my basketball hoop at home is stretchable between 7,0 to 10,0).

Went back to the gym today with the plan to stop leaning back while shooting. The guys I worked with said it'll help with range if I stopped leaning so I focused on shooting straight up and yeah, range improvements just like that. I started dropping major threes, without worrying about jumping high. This is very good.

Nice, care to tell us the workout schedule? / Yeah man! Follow your dreams.

Yeah, same for my school, Freshmen/JV/Varsity. I guess I'll just stay with the freshmen team. They need alot of help...

It also turned out that I'm 5,7(guess I grew an inch). Well, I don't know about my vertical. When I do touch the 10,0 rim, my calfs just get pulled and I fall back down, because it hurts. It only works about 3/4 of the times too. When I don't strain myself, I get about 9,0 in the air. Oh yeah, strange this is that I can touch a 10,0 rim at a 24 gym/ school gym but I can't dunk a 8,0 rim(my basketball hoop at home is stretchable between 7,0 to 10,0).
    Yeah I'll post the workout tomorrow, I'm about to go to bed for school tomorrow then I got driver's ed afterwards so later in the night.

I'm 5'7" but I can't get rim (yet). I can dunk on 8'6" but I've been laying low on jump training to get some strength. That's weird though, you can't dunk on 8' but you can get rim? Something must be up.