Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: What's your vert?

at age 19 it was officially measured @ 32 inches from a stand still. Running start vert is higher but never measured it. I am guessing about 35-36.

56 inches
    [COLOR="White"]Hell No, I'm 14 lol[/COLOR]

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Grafbag's Avatar

I'm 16, 6"1 and 145, white. Not 100% on what my standing reach is, but I'd say it's a little under 8"

I can just touch the ring off a 2 leg jump, and can grab it (1 hand) off a 1leg jump (Probs about 4-5" over the ring).

So somewhere around 24" standing, 28" running I'd say.

Gonna try get into the gym next few weeks, see if I can get those numbers up a bit, so eager to start dunking.

Saw a basketball once Slimdunkin's Avatar

30 standing, 34 running. My best dunk is a self oop off the backboard. Im 18, 6'0 and two foot jumper

36"

(5'11", 19 Years Old)

Saw a basketball once

I'm 22 and I'm 5'7 and I can touch (sometimes grab the rim on a 10 ft rim) the rim. My reach is bout 86 inches. Is that good?

Saw a basketball once

14 years old. 6'1. Standing vert - 22-24 inches. Running - 28 inches. I can run jump and grab a 10ft rim with the tip of my middle finger on a good day.

I tried dunking a golf ball...dunked it. Tennis ball? Dunk. Volleyball? Smashed that shit. Regular ball? Smashed that against the rim and busted my ass.

I've lost weight so mine improved a little since last time.

I don't know my vert. I'm 6'1 1/2 with shoes on. Starting from the FT line running up for a 2 legged power jump, I can almost get high enough to grab rim and hang. Although doing a running 1 legged jump, I can barely touch rim. I'm 23

can anyone tell me what my vert is? lol

im 14 ,5'6" with a 7' standing reach

i can touch glass on a regulation hoop

just gimme a bare estimate

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by No Name
    can anyone tell me what my vert is? lol

im 14 ,5'6" with a 7' standing reach

i can touch glass on a regulation hoop

just gimme a bare estimate
    Well, you say you have an 84'' standing reach (7 feet). I'd surmise that the backboard may be about eight inches below the rim (112'' total inches off the ground - 9'4''). Therefore, your rough max vertical would be 112 - 84 = 28 inches.

Of course, backboard being eight inches below the rim is just a rough estimate. We'd also have to account for whether you're touching glass, slapping glass, hitting the backboard pad, etc. There's also a lot of amateur backboards out there that are much lower than NBA boards. All that stuff might need to be taken into account.

In this case, I used the following picture as a reference:

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by J21
    ITT: NBA level athletes with 35"+ verticals

that said, I don't know my exact number. I'm 6'6 and I can graze the top of my head against the backboard off a running start.
    Even 30+ is pretty standard for an NBA player. It's not surprising, though, based on past threads I've discovered that ISH is filled with athletic freaks of nature with 5% body fat who can jump higher than Monta Ellis (31 inch max vert), bench press double their body weight, and someway somehow all have wing spans that would be in the 90th percentile. Props to the people who actually tell the truth, but I'm assuming that just about everyone is tacking on an extra 6 inches either on purpose or by accident.

Personally, I'm 6 feet even, average length arms, and can just barely touch the rim, so I'm guessing something like 24 inches. By the way, I'm dead average among the people I've played with at a gym NW DC that caters to both white people who moved from the burbs for work and inner city types who went because it was the only indoor court in the area that was available to the general public (well, who were willing to pay 75 dollars a month for a gym membership), all in their 20s or early 30s. A handful of people can dunk pretty comfortably, but the VAST majority - 95% or so - are also about 6 feet tall (an average height for Americans) and can touch the rim or do baby dunks which is what I'd be willing to bet is the case with ISH.

33 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Well, you say you have an 84'' standing reach (7 feet). I'd surmise that the backboard may be about eight inches below the rim (112'' total inches off the ground - 9'4''). Therefore, your rough max vertical would be 112 - 84 = 28 inches.

Of course, backboard being eight inches below the rim is just a rough estimate. We'd also have to account for whether you're touching glass, slapping glass, hitting the backboard pad, etc. There's also a lot of amateur backboards out there that are much lower than NBA boards. All that stuff might need to be taken into account.

In this case, I used the following picture as a reference:

well here is the indoor hoop

and the outdoor hoop

they are both the same dimensions as nba and i can just barely touch the the part that is perpendicular to the ground(without the pads) same on the outdoor hoop.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    Even 30+ is pretty standard for an NBA player. It's not surprising, though, based on past threads I've discovered that ISH is filled with athletic freaks of nature with 5% body fat who can jump higher than Monta Ellis (31 inch max vert), bench press double their body weight, and someway somehow all have wing spans that would be in the 90th percentile. Props to the people who actually tell the truth, but I'm assuming that just about everyone is tacking on an extra 6 inches either on purpose or by accident.

Personally, I'm 6 feet even, average length arms, and can just barely touch the rim, so I'm guessing something like 24 inches. By the way, I'm dead average among the people I've played with at a gym NW DC that caters to both white people who moved from the burbs for work and inner city types who went because it was the only indoor court in the area that was available to the general public (well, who were willing to pay 75 dollars a month for a gym membership), all in their 20s or early 30s. A handful of people can dunk pretty comfortably, but the VAST majority - 95% or so - are also about 6 feet tall (an average height for Americans) and can touch the rim or do baby dunks which is what I'd be willing to bet is the case with ISH.
    I understand your overarching point and while I stand by my numbers, it's not a stretch to believe many others are adding to them.

However, I had a very hard time believing Monta Ellis' max vertical was just 31''. I am also 6'3'' and house a maximum vertical higher than 31''. And while I acknowledge Ellis almost certainly has longer arms than me, there's no way he'd be dunking like he does with a lower max vert than me. In short, I'm not doing what he's doing.

After doing a small amount of research, it is my belief that 31'' is Monta Ellis' one-step vertical (which would eclipse my one-step vert). I could not find 2005 Draft Combine official results like I can with current combines, but this site (http://www.topendsports.com/sport/ba...sults-2005.htm) did provide a rundown with the matching number for Ellis. As Gerald Green is listed as having a 39'' one-step vert and is then listed in the form at the bottom as well (again with a 39'' inch vert) I feel it can be deduced that Ellis' number is likely his one-step, which makes a huge difference, considering he does the majority of his high flying off of speedy run-ups. His max vert likely far eclipses 31''.

It's just a small detail, but I just wanted to straighten that out. If guys in here have a max vert of 31'', it doesn't mean they'll be dunking like Monta.