Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Mid-Century Modern

Anyone into this type of architecture. I am fascinated by it and I remember as a kid when I was walking through certain neighborhoods, I would be mesmerized by these homes. Today's cookie-cutter homes are horrific.

Currently there are a bunch of them near my dad's house and I am looking into getting into one of these homes in the near future but it seems kind of close to him.

Palm Springs is notorious for these homes. Tribute to the greatest architecture in history.

Default Re: Mid-Century Modern

I like the interior of MCM houses much more than the outside. Especially can't stand the slopes.

But inside it feels really fresh and wide. Definitely good.

Banned

Here are some Joseph Eichler's....

The clean lines sort of reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain's home he helped design in LA (with retractable roof)

Also most any homes by Frank Lloyd Wright

There are entire communities with homes of this design in Arizona.

Bring 150-250k and you'll be a proud owner of a large mcm estate in az.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    There are entire communities with homes of this design in Arizona.

Bring 150-250k and you'll be a proud owner of a large mcm estate in az.
    That is extremely cheap.

I've seen a couple around my dad's area but sadly people can and will butcher the home when they remodel.

They start doing shit that is not era-specific to the homes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The clean lines sort of reminds me of Wilt Chamberlain's home he helped design in LA (with retractable roof)

Also most any homes by Frank Lloyd Wright
    I studied Frank Lloyd Wright and he was a genius. Ahead of his time.

One thing that I love about these homes is 50's and 60's interpretation of what the future is suppose to be. Sort of like 'The Jetsons' cartoon.

Banned

Probably by far the most famous MCM home and you guys probably will recognize it from all the movies, music videos and commercials that were filmed in it. Nobody lives there and it is used for tours now.

The Stahl House, Hollywood Hills

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Probably by far the most famous MCM home and you guys probably will recognize it from all the movies, music videos and commercials that were filmed in it. Nobody lives there and it is used for tours now.

The Stahl House, Hollywood Hills

This was in less than zero right?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Having shopped for a couch recently I can tell you that mid-century modern is the current rage in furniture. Lots of them looked like the above.

Banned

LA with the GOAT houses

Great photos.

I'm a lifelong New Englander, so these exterior designs might as well be f*cking spaceships to me. I'm an assessor in a town with about 13,000 single family residential homes and I could count on both hands and feet the number of Contemporary style (our descriptor) homes I have in sum. Stylistically, they just don't fit in our neighborhoods at all and when they go on sale the owners tend to have a hard time offloading them close to their initial asking price.

The interiors, however, are another story. The high ceilings and open floor plans like what you're seeing in these photos are almost the baseline for owners and families under the age of 55-60, unless your preference is to keep it really old-school New England (rare). I've done plenty of inspections at Colonials and Capes where new owners remodeled the interiors with these Contemporary influences in mind and they came out fantastic.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I'm a New Englander too, and I've always had a fondness for this design style. In my town there's a sequence of streets that all have California names. Hollywood, Sunnybank, Burbank, and Ferndale. And all of the streets have a couple of houses, usually at the bottom, have houses that are sort of a New England take on the Mid Century Modern, or California design, as we often call it here. They're more like Peaked New England Ranches, or split levels, with floor to ceiling windows of unique shape. I looked at a few when I was looking at houses a few years ago. I always loved them. A lot of people around here think they're really ugly.

I was close to going in the architecture direction in school. I wound up more in technical design.

Mid-century moderns are awesome, one of my favorite home design styles. I wish they werent so rare in Portland.

Been to the famous Frank Lloyd Wright homes around Pittsburgh (Falling Water and Kentuck Knob). Falling water is amazing and the details are really incredible in person. The windows are build directly into the stone so that the lanscape basically comes right through the window into the home.

I'd love to see Taliesen West someday too.