Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Question Pau Gasol vs. Dirk Nowitzki

Who is the better player? He has had the better career thus far? Who had the better peak? They play the same position and are similar in age (Dirk is 31, Gasol 29).

Dirk Nowitzki

2007 MVP
    4x all-NBA first team
    3x all-NBA second team
    2x all-NBA third team
    3x Top 3 in MVP voting
    7x top 10 in MVP voting
    8x all-star
    Led his team to nine straight 50+ win seasons

Pau Gasol

1x all-NBA third team
    2x all-star
    2002 Rookie of the Year
    2009 NBA champion

Stats

Dirk

Career: 23/9/3
    Peak: 27/9/3 (probably not his best season but statistically his best year)

Pau

Career: 19/9/3
    Peak: 21/10/3 (not his best season but statistically his best year)

I go with Dirk for all three. Dirk is top 40 all-time imo.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Pau Gasol vs. Dirk Nowitzki

this post is as pointless as a MJ vs. corey brewer comparison

Dirk Nowitzki's offensive game is slightly better than Pau Gasol's, but Dirk limits himself from the outside a lot. While Pau has a more consistent and efficient offensive game.

Pau Gasol is the better defender compared to Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is the better overall player, Gasol is the player I want on my team as a complimentary player to another player because he doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Give me Pau Gasol please.

Washed up streetballer ACCBaller1403's Avatar

As a first option it is clearly Dirk. More explosive offensively and much improved defensively. People forget that just last year, Pau Gasol was still considered soft, even by many Laker fans.

As a second option, I feel Dirk is slightly hurt in this comparison because we simply haven't ever seen Dirk as a second option outside of his first 2 years. If you have a Kobe/Lebron/Wade, I would say Pau/Dirk are probably around equal. If you have a legit center, give me Dirk 10/10 times.

The overrating of Gasol is getting quite out of hand. Very good player, but not top 10 in the league. I currently have Dirk at 4 based on his play this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Dirk Nowitzki's offensive game is slightly better than Pau Gasol's, but Dirk limits himself from the outside a lot. While Pau has a more consistent and efficient offensive game.

Pau Gasol is the better defender compared to Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is the better overall player, Gasol is the player I want on my team as a complimentary player to another player because he doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Give me Pau Gasol please.
    I never understood this logic about "x player is better, but I want x player on my team" when not talking about a specific team.

It's one thing if a person is asking for example... which would fit better, Dirk or Pau for the Lakers, but when we are just comparing 2 players, give me the best player 10 times out of 10. Also.... even in situational comparison, give me the better player 9 times out of 10. Give me Wade & LeBron over Wade & Dirk, or whatever. I'd always rather have the best players and adjust the role players around them if need be.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Dirk is a top 5 player this year, Gasol is top10. There is the answer: Dirk is better. Speaking of their careers, NBA-wise it's Dirk. In the FIBA compteitions it's Gasol, due to having had a better team. (Both of them play very well at international events.)

This comparison will get worse in the future, because Dirk operates as the #1 and Pau as te #2 option. Not the same roles. Defensively, Pau is better and he is a bit more efficient with the ball. Basketball IQ is high in both instances, slight edge to Gasol.

Still, overall I take Dirk. He is a top50 player of all time for sure. Let's see how he ends his career to get into more details.

International players = Da niceorz

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    I never understood this logic about "x player is better, but I want x player on my team" when not talking about a specific team.

It's one thing if a person is asking for example... which would fit better, Dirk or Pau for the Lakers, but when we are just comparing 2 players, give me the best player 10 times out of 10. Also.... even in situational comparison, give me the better player 9 times out of 10. Give me Wade & LeBron over Wade & Dirk, or whatever. I'd always rather have the best players and adjust the role players around them if need be.
    There are players better than other players, but some players I just feel will never win a championship as a main player on their team with their play-style. Allen Iverson is a good example. I don't think Dirk will ever win a championship with the way he plays as the main option on a team. Pau is never going to be a main option (even though he was for a while with the sub-par Grizzlies) and he pretty much knows his role.

In saying that Dirk is the better player, but I'd still want Pau Gasol on my team over Dirk because a seven footer who plays away from the basket like a shooting guard isn't what usually wins championships. That's how I feel.
    Last edited by Meticode; 12-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Gasol>>>insert PF...

Nowitzki have had the better career.

But if i had to pick one to start a franchise, Id choose Pau... Gasol is a better rounded player and more important, Gasol is a PF/C that plays like a PF/C with a fantastic back to the basket game, Im not a big fan of jump shooting big man.

I don't think Dirk will ever win a championship with the way he plays as the main option on a team.
    In his defense, he came close to doing it. His team was extremely close to going up 3-0 in the NBA finals. Yeah, part of the reason they lost was he underperformed but there were also some questionable call late in games, particularly Game 3. Dirk has never won a ring as the main scoring option but one can certainly envision him doing so.

I would pick Dirk over Gasol.
    Dirk can burn you from outside as well as in the post. He is always the first option. Gasol is not bad as the first option but he is even better as a second option. He fits in so well with the Lakers. Both are high IQ players.

For Roundball: I would also pick Dirk or Gasol over Amare anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    In his defense, he came close to doing it. His team was extremely close to going up 3-0 in the NBA finals. Yeah, part of the reason they lost was he underperformed but there were also some questionable call late in games, particularly Game 3. Dirk has never won a ring as the main scoring option but one can certainly envision him doing so.
    Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Okay.
    How many players today do you believe have the ability to lead their teams to a championship as the #1 (scoring) option? Dirk probably is a top 5 player right now. Only Kobe, Lebron (who performed far worse than Dirk when he got to the finals) and Wade?

For Roundball: I would also pick Dirk or Gasol over Amare anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    How many players today do you believe have the ability to lead their teams to a championship as the #1 (scoring) option? Dirk probably is a top 5 player right now. Only Kobe, Lebron (who performed far worse than Dirk when he got to the finals) and Wade?
    Not many, but he didn't win it. And I feel he never will win it as a #1.