Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default Re: Bulls Trade James Johnson To Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Decent deal for the Raptors. It certainly isn't going to hurt them in the long or short run.

Miami's 1st rounder is nothing great. Unless the Raptors could have used it as an asset in a bigger deal, I'm ok with this trade.

VERY late 1st rounders (like this pick will be) are not good. It just gives a guaranteed contract to a player that likely will not be on the roster for long. An early 2nd round pick is actually better.

The Raptors had a hard-on for Johnson (heh) before the draft so this doesn't surprise me. If Johnson plays well then maybe the Raptors have a young controllable player that can give them some good minutes at SF. If he stinks then oh well, the Raptors have no long-term commitment to him. I just hope he gets the chance to play so we can see what he has. The Raptors are already bungling a situation like this with Bayless.

Players like Davis, Bayless and now Johnson should be getting as much playing time as possible. What's the point of having young unproven players if you aren't going to find out what you have in them? It's not like there is a playoff race to consider. Can this stupid franchise run by morons finally start doing something right?!?
    James Johnson is closer to being out of the league than a solid contributor. Your team just threw away that pick for nothing. And you're ok with it because it most likely would have been a guranteed contract to a scrub. But that can be countered with some productive players being drafted that late. But hey, Toronto sees something in JJ that none of us do.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Decent deal for the Raptors. It certainly isn't going to hurt them in the long or short run.

Miami's 1st rounder is nothing great. Unless the Raptors could have used it as an asset in a bigger deal, I'm ok with this trade.

VERY late 1st rounders (like this pick will be) are not good. It just gives a guaranteed contract to a player that likely will not be on the roster for long. An early 2nd round pick is actually better.

The Raptors had a hard-on for Johnson (heh) before the draft so this doesn't surprise me. If Johnson plays well then maybe the Raptors have a young controllable player that can give them some good minutes at SF. If he stinks then oh well, the Raptors have no long-term commitment to him. I just hope he gets the chance to play so we can see what he has. The Raptors are already bungling a situation like this with Bayless.

Players like Davis, Bayless and now Johnson should be getting as much playing time as possible. What's the point of having young unproven players if you aren't going to find out what you have in them? It's not like there is a playoff race to consider. Can this stupid franchise run by morons finally start doing something right?!?
    I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm praying that majority of these players get traded: Bargnani, Evans, Calderon, Barbosa, Klezia and possibly even Amir.

I know that Bargs probably isn't going anywheres.. and I can't see both Calderon and Barbosa getting traded this season.. but if I have to pick one ill take Calderon. Next year he will likely be an easier trading piece and while he is here for the rest of the year he can help develop DeMar faster then DeMar would playing next to Bayless.

Raps, Jazz, and UCONN rosonviyavong's Avatar

James Johnson was one of my favorite players in college so I like this pick up for Toronto and Miami is probably going to have a 29 or 30 pick in the draft so im all for tihs pick up

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    James Johnson is closer to being out of the league than a solid contributor. Your team just threw away that pick for nothing. And you're ok with it because it most likely would have been a guranteed contract to a scrub. But that can be countered with some productive players being drafted that late. But hey, Toronto sees something in JJ that none of us do.
    I'm not sold on Johnson either and I figured we would have traded Miami's pick for a higher pick, but the trade wasn't really that bad. The likely hood of a late 1st rounder that was picked by Toronto contributing is not very high and the fact that Johnson plays SF gives me hope that we might be willing to trade away someone like Klezia.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    James Johnson being a total scrub wouldn't hurt the Raptors in any way. Chances are they would draft an equal scrub with that late pick. I'll take a chance on someone that was regarded somewhat highly before the draft and hasn't received much playing time. The Raptors also have a gaping hole at SF and have nothing to play for this season. I just hope they are smart enough to give him minutes and see what he can do. They haven't done that with Bayless. This is a very stupid organization though.

The only other good way to use that 1st rounder would be as an added asset to a bigger deal. Somehow I don't think the Raptors are in on any big deals right now.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm praying that majority of these players get traded: Bargnani, Evans, Calderon, Barbosa, Klezia and possibly even Amir.
    I'm with you. The only players I want to see getting big minutes the rest of the way are Ed Davis, Derozan and Bayless.

Everyone else can GTFO.
    Last edited by Qwyjibo; 02-22-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Hopefully, the bulls parlay these draft picks into either afflalo, lee, or parker. Id like mayo, but to me, he's just to short and I don't like him in the role the bulls need. Id like smith too but he does bring baggage. And I wouldn't trade a single player already on the bulls for any of the guys mentioned.

What's up with rudy fernandez?

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Who is this Lee that people keep talking about in this thread? It can't be a below-average player like Courtney Lee. Geez Bulls fans, aim a little bit higher to fill that SG hole.

Learning to shoot layups Wat_Wat__'s Avatar

i think this trade speaks more to the 'raptor front office' inabilities to scout players and BC's job insecurity.

you can always find something that fits your team in the late first round. i can't remember a draft that didn't have a productive late first or second round player. I don't know what to make of James Johnson as he hasn't gotten much run, he had an ok rookie year but doesn't see the floor this year, plus he's a tweener too slow to play sf and too small to play pf. i would've preferred to have kept the pick, at best it would've been a 24th pick. you definitely can find quality there if you're looking for it.

Local High School Star

Who is this Lee that people keep talking about in this thread? It can't be a below-average player like Courtney Lee. Geez Bulls fans, aim a little bit higher to fill that SG hole.
    Good defender, great 3 pt shooter, knows his role, young.

Agreed, not sure why Lee is so attractive.

I like Lee because...
    A. He's young(although has probably reached his potential already) but he can be Rose's wingman
    B. He's a good defender
    C. He only takes the 3s he can make. Which will be a lot of open ones
    D. he's better than Bogans.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonresno
    Good defender, great 3 pt shooter, knows his role, young.

He's shooting the 3 well this year, but I mean he's nobody that's gonna make much of a difference. He is not a difference maker. He's not that efficient overall. I wouldn't call him a guy who knows his role, you saw what happened last year with the Nets.

As a Bulls fan, I wouldn't want JR Smith either, but if you had to pick one of the two, I'd definitely go JR Smith. They are the same age, but Smith has moments where he becomes unconscious and starts making plays that makes him look like a superstar. Courtney Lee? meh, rather keep what you have in a combo of Brewer/Korver...

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Someone else in this thread mentioned Marcus Thornton. I think he'd be a good "buy low" option for the Bulls. If he can get back to playing like he did in his rookie year, that's a decent starting SG.

Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

James Johnson being a total scrub wouldn't hurt the Raptors in any way. Chances are they would draft an equal scrub with that late pick. I'll take a chance on someone that was regarded somewhat highly before the draft and hasn't received much playing time. The Raptors also have a gaping hole at SF and have nothing to play for this season. I just hope they are smart enough to give him minutes and see what he can do. They haven't done that with Bayless. This is a very stupid organization though.

The only other good way to use that 1st rounder would be as an added asset to a bigger deal. Somehow I don't think the Raptors are in on any big deals right now.

I'm with you. The only players I want to see getting big minutes the rest of the way are Ed Davis, Derozan and Bayless.

Everyone else can GTFO.
    agree