Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default What does "freestyle" mean to you?

I've been listening to people freestyle lately and it's obvious that a lot of people wrote their rhymes beforehand. I guess, in a way, that's freestyle, but I always thought of freestyle as something you came up with off the top of your head.

And what is the best freestyle (off the top) that you have heard? Don't post some shit that's written or I'm gonna call it out.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #2
tpols
we already won

Default Re: What does "freestyle" mean to you?

Well all freestyling really is is making up rhymes as you go and the more you've written in your life, the more you'll be able to come up with on the spot. Some of eminems freestyles are amazing. I've also heard a bunch of snoop's songs were freestyled in the studio. He'd just smoke a j and start spitting. Thats how the shiznit was formed supposedly.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
LilBTheBasedGod

I think its anything thats not written. Like it can be "written" in your head and it can still be a freestyle.

This, this is not freestyling lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKSeyYFGRo

This, however, is freestyling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81mirQFxeqA
Old 01-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Tpols is mostly correct.

The more you write and the more you spit, the better you get at freestyling and the more you can recall.

I knew cats that used to battle in competitions all the time. They'd write freestyle rhymes for battle, and just use them accordingly.

For instance, they'd start freestyling but then incorporate some pre-written freestyle rhymes into their freestyle. That way everything sounded like it was all freestyled. And you also have your varying levels of freestylers.

Some are really good and can incorporate pre-written freestyles seamlessly, you'd think they made them up right there on the spot. Others aren't so good, and then you have some that are really bad.

I used to judge some of these competitions and it was obvious when somebody spit something pre-written. The good freestylers know how to improvise and quickly recall a pre-written freestyle.

But NO freestyle is completely freestyle, there's always a punchline that they've spit or wrote before.
andgar923 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

This reminds me of Grind Time, haven't watched their vids in a long time.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
No_Look604
Local High School Star

When I hear someone bring up what defines a real freestyle, Drake on that new york radio station comes to mind.

They announce it on the air that Drake is about to freestyle...yet in the video that surfaced on the internet, the muhfocker is holding up his iphone...reading his raps. WTF!
No_Look604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
NastaMaverick
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
a freestyle means its off topic, no specific subject rhymes.

-al
eh thats the original definition, sure.
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

There are two ways of looking at it. There is 'freestyling' in the sense that an artists recites pre-rehearsed material at random, and then there is fabricating rhymes on the spot. You can almost always tell the difference in the flow and how thought-out the bars are whether it's written or not.

Here is my example of freestyle battle. Most of the material Eyedea came up with on the spot couldn't have been prewritten and usually attacked specific traits of the person he was battling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qMbzfF31k
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
AirTupac
BBBonzoBBBall

Surgeon General is one of my favorite underground rappers.

Picture freestyle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGFnKuJdII

If your into rap, you'll definitely want to check this guys freestyles. He's one of the few who actual freestyles during battles. Last time i checked he went won a tournament which allowed him to battle at another tournament for a record contract and some cash i think.

Mortal Kombat Freestyle - http://www.youtube.com/user/SurgeonG.../4/Xv_EsKXqUiY

Last edited by AirTupac : 01-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
AirTupac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
There are two ways of looking at it. There is 'freestyling' in the sense that an artists recites pre-rehearsed material at random, and then there is fabricating rhymes on the spot. You can almost always tell the difference in the flow and how thought-out the bars are whether it's written or not.

Here is my example of freestyle battle. Most of the material Eyedea came up with on the spot couldn't have been prewritten and usually attacked specific traits of the person he was battling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_qMbzfF31k

Yea, the flow or their eyes is how you can tell, really, because you can tell when people stop to think. Even if it's just for a moment, but if you are reading it or have practiced it you just keep rhyming.

I was listening to that RZA 9 min freestyle on youtube... that's crazy. I think people who do freestyling forget what it's all about. Like they don't want to say anything that's wack or ruin their image, but if they just had confidence and had fun with it, they wouldn't have to worry about pre-writing their rhymes cuz they were scared to sound wack.

But I think it can be a freestyle if you are using prewritten stuff, but it's not as impressive to me.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 01-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

It can mean different things. Sometimes if you're just ripping the mic, it means spittin different pre-written material in a manner that doesn't sound like it's pre-written. If it's a battle rap, it's usually a combination of pre-written punchlines with some off-the-top stuff incorporated.

Personally, I've always been better at writing and memorizing than spittin true freestyles. Don't get me wrong, I can come off the top better that most people, but I've rapped with some of the best freestylers and battle rappers in the world, so I know what a real talented freestyle rapper can do.

These days, you don't find many freestylers. Guys don't even memorize their own shit because most of them are studio rappers, and don't perform their material live. Then you get guys like Drake who show up to a world famous freestyle show and read their material off a blackberry.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Stuckey
ifirtworld

my friend freestyles whenever we're baked, it's good stuff and sometimes it's funny how corny it is
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Walduś
Banned

eminem from 8 mile
Walduś is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTRFS-6eUs
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Fuhqueue
Pick and rofl offence

Off the top freestyles are always much more enjoyable to me even if they're obviously not as lyrically developed

Someone like Wordsworth improvising an actual story with characters and a plot is infinitely more impressive than some generic braggadocio mixtape spitter with dozens of multisyllabic punchlines in every verse
Fuhqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: