Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Most Undeserved MVP selections

Kobes Brian winning in 08 was fine IMO.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeanBryant
    Kobe should have at least 3 mvps. 2006, 2007, 2008 for sure.
    07? Absolutely no case. Dirk had a 50/42/90 season and led a bunch of misfits to 67 wins.

08? Yep....although if you think Kobe deserved it in 07...then I'm sure a bunch of Paul fans would disagree. Kobe was the right choice though.

06? Could have gone to a number of different people...don't think Kobe had a better case than any of them though.

But no...absolutely not 07.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Dirk is a fcukin piece of shit.
    Why are you so angry? Who hurt you? I want to help, just open your heart to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Perkins is a fcukin piece of shit.
    Yeah, he's pretty bad.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    07? Absolutely no case. Dirk had a 50/42/90 season and led a bunch of misfits to 67 wins.
    Group of misfits? That's a real exaggeration. The Mavs had a good team around Dirk. 67 win good? I wouldn't have predicted that, and the biggest reason was Dirk's remarkable play, his best all around regular season, but lets not make them out to be a bad or average team.

06? Could have gone to a number of different people...don't think Kobe had a better case than any of them though.
    Dirk probably had the best case by the criteria many use, and probably the least arguments you could make against him. I think Kobe had a better case than Nash and Lebron, though. Kobe's win total was unusually low for an MVP, but I think it's clear his team overachieved the most, and I think it's obvious why, and obvious who was the best player out of those 3. And both Nash and Lebron also had low win totals compared to other MVPs.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Nash's 2 MVPs over Shaq / Lebron
    Iverson over Shaq
    Rose over Lebron
    this.

Shaq has been robbed multiple times. Kobe's MVP was also a joke.

I rule the local playground GoSpursGo1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    this.

Shaq has been robbed multiple times. Kobe's MVP was also a joke.
    Kobe averaged 28ppg 6rpg and 5apg that year and his team had the best record in the Western Conference not sure what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Kobe's MVP was also a joke.

MVP that year was between him and CP3. Though I would have given it to CP3, Kobe winning it was not at all a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Group of misfits? That's a real exaggeration. The Mavs had a good team around Dirk. 67 win good? I wouldn't have predicted that, and the biggest reason was Dirk's remarkable play, his best all around regular season, but lets not make them out to be a bad or average team.

Dirk probably had the best case by the criteria many use, and probably the least arguments you could make against him. I think Kobe had a better case than Nash and Lebron, though. Kobe's win total was unusually low for an MVP, but I think it's clear his team overachieved the most, and I think it's obvious why, and obvious who was the best player out of those 3. And both Nash and Lebron also had low win totals compared to other MVPs.
    Never said the mavs were bad in 07...but lets not pretend they were anything more than just a good team. And they were a bunch of misfits. But I don't care to debate how talented that team was...they were quite clearly one of the worst, if not the worst teams to ever reach a win total like that in the regular season. So when a player is the clear cut best player and leader of a team...and has a 50/40/90 season...and that team has one of the best regular seasons ever (with probably the worst roster to ever win 67...only Lebron's cavs come to mind as a team that was worse)...I think it's pretty clear who deserved MVP.

Best player does not always get MVP. I honestly wouldn't have an issue with Kobe winning it in 06, but like i said, he didn't really have a better case than a number of players. Not that if impacts MVP, but if the playoffs matter a lot...then Wade and Dirk both get a huge bump over Kobe for their postseason play.

7-time NBA All-Star

Never said the mavs were bad in 07...but lets not pretend they were anything more than just a good team. And they were a bunch of misfits. But I don't care to debate how talented that team was...they were quite clearly one of the worst, if not the worst teams to ever reach a win total like that in the regular season. So when a player is the clear cut best player and leader of a team...and has a 50/40/90 season...and that team has one of the best regular seasons ever (with probably the worst roster to ever win 67...only Lebron's cavs come to mind as a team that was worse)...I think it's pretty clear who deserved MVP.
    They had Josh Howard who made the all-star team, averaged 19 per game, was a good defender and often got the Mavs off to fast starts(a good complement to Dirk's late game scoring) Jason Terry, another scorer who averaged 17 ppg and had been a 20 ppg scorer in the past, obviously a very good shooter who could also handle the ball and was a pretty good playmaker. Jerry Stackhouse, one of the best scorers off the bench in the league and Devin Harris whose quickness made him a threat getting to the basket.

That's a lot of firepower on the perimeter, plus, all of those guys except Harris shot 3s very well and Dallas was not only a top 5 defensive team, but they outrebounded opponents by 3.8 rpg.

That is a championship-caliber supporting cast. They had 3 real scoring threats around Dirk, 3 point shooting, defense and rebounding.

Best player does not always get MVP. I honestly wouldn't have an issue with Kobe winning it in 06, but like i said, he didn't really have a better case than a number of players. Not that if impacts MVP, but if the playoffs matter a lot...then Wade and Dirk both get a huge bump over Kobe for their postseason play.
    Don't even think best player is worth discussing in '06, Kobe was the best, as far as MVP. I don't see how Kobe doesn't have a better case over Nash, and especially Lebron. If you want to say Dirk because

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    They had Josh Howard who made the all-star team, averaged 19 per game, was a good defender and often got the Mavs off to fast starts(a good complement to Dirk's late game scoring) Jason Terry, another scorer who averaged 17 ppg and had been a 20 ppg scorer in the past, obviously a very good shooter who could also handle the ball and was a pretty good playmaker. Jerry Stackhouse, one of the best scorers off the bench in the league and Devin Harris whose quickness made him a threat getting to the basket.

That's a lot of firepower on the perimeter, plus, all of those guys except Harris shot 3s very well and Dallas was not only a top 5 defensive team, but they outrebounded opponents by 3.8 rpg.

That is a championship-caliber supporting cast. They had 3 real scoring threats around Dirk, 3 point shooting, defense and rebounding.

Don't even think best player is worth discussing in '06, Kobe was the best, as far as MVP. I don't see how Kobe doesn't have a better case over Nash, and especially Lebron. If you want to say Dirk because
    Definitely don't think the 07 Mavs are as good as you say, but regardless....name a worse roster to ever win 67 games. I doubt you find one.

Best player in 06? Really tough call because of the playoffs. Kobe was the best player in the regular season, but again...hard to give MVP to a player on a team that didn't have much success.

But if the playoffs matter a lot...Dirk and Wade get a huge bump over Kobe. So if you are just talking about the regular season...then I agree Kobe was the best. But sorry, the clear cut best player in the league needs to play a little better against that Suns team. Kobe just didn't do enough in that series, a 7 game series, to prove he was the clear cut best player.

7-time NBA All-Star

Definitely don't think the 07 Mavs are as good as you say, but regardless....name a worse roster to ever win 67 games. I doubt you find one.
    Excluding the star player? 2000 Lakers drop off at least as much without Shaq. They had Kobe, who was already around a top 10 player by 2000, but he missed 16 games, and that team had clear weaknesses.

5th worst 3P%
    5th lowest scoring bench (3rd worst FG% off the bench)

They often had 2 or more guys on the court who weren't offensive threats either as shooters or scorers. Horry and Harper were their 2 truly solid rolid players. Shaw was fine in a smaller role as a good defensive guard and fit Phil's fondness of big guards. Rice could have been a good role player talent wise, but wasn't really what I'd call a solid contributor since he never fit into the triangle, was a liability defensively and a one-dimensional player who had an ordinary 3 point shooting season(1.1 3PM, 36.7 3P%) To put that in perspective, Terry(2.0 3PM, 43.8 3P%), Howard(1.3 3PM, 38.5 3P%) had better 3 point seasons than the Lakers only 3 point threat, and Stackhouse(0.9 3PM, 38.3 3P%) was at least as good, while Devean George(0.9 3PM, 35.3 3P%) wasn't far off.

Surprisingly, the Mavs bench wasn't much better than the Lakers statistically(7th worst in ppg, 2nd worst in FG%) though they did have Stackhouse, who was 3rd in Sixth Man voting to provided scoring off the bench.

Dallas didn't have a 2000 Kobe, but they were more well rounded, with more scoring threats and less weaknesses. Considering Kobe missed 16 games, LA winning 67 is probably a more impressive feat.

And while they didn't win 67. Lebron's Cavs won 66 which was the most unlikely, although there was a difference in conferences.

Best player in 06? Really tough call because of the playoffs. Kobe was the best player in the regular season, but again...hard to give MVP to a player on a team that didn't have much success.

But if the playoffs matter a lot...Dirk and Wade get a huge bump over Kobe. So if you are just talking about the regular season...then I agree Kobe was the best. But sorry, the clear cut best player in the league needs to play a little better against that Suns team. Kobe just didn't do enough in that series, a 7 game series, to prove he was the clear cut best player.
    Come on, don't even angle for Dirk over Kobe in 2006. The Wade thing is incorrect, but at least there's the finals performance and you're not the first to say it. I've never heard anyone even hint Dirk vs Kobe was debatable in 2006. If you want to say for MVP, then sure, but best player? Not a chance.

Great college starter

01 Iverson. Should have been Duncan.