Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: I have to ask this question again about women in history

Didn't read through everything but, from what I've seen, not enough weight has been given to the fact that most women have babies. When a women gets pregnant and subsequently has a child, her whole life is turned upside down. Whatever career she had or interests she was pursuing normally take a back seat to childcare.

Society is only recently trying to change and make allowances for mothers to be able to comfortably resume their professional careers after giving birth.

Those of you who have children must acknowledge the incredible amount of time and energy needed to raise even just one kid. The majority of that huge outlay of time and energy has overwhelming come from women. It is an enormous factor when considering the historical accomplishments of women.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    they both used pseudonyms numnuts

on a side note, this guy did a social experiment i think a few years ago, submitted a bunch of austen's lesser known stuff to major publishers and each and every one were rejected. i've never read anything by her and don't really plan to but its kind of interesting.

and somewhat related to this asinine thread. fame in posterity is a cultural phenomenon. its the cultural elite that essentially decides whats 'good' and whats 'bad'... and thus who gains genius-status from future generations. of course its not cut and dry, some people get discovered long after their death etc, but for millennia its been men dictating which figures we should pay attention to and which figures we should ignore. that's.... kind of important in evaluating the topic of this thread, which i repeat is pretty dumb anyway.

j$ makes some neat arguments in here but regardless, they still require enormous leaps of logic based on preconceptions of the way men and women 'are'. i buy some of it to an extent just on personal bias but by the time you have to extrapolate into exactly HOW these great works are created, its pretty damn flimsy.
    Bronte used a penname because she wrote about her neighbors and didn't want them to find out.

Jane Austen's pseudonym was "A Lady" so it's not like she hid her gender, numbnuts.

Stop rewriting history to fit your artificial vision of the world.

Jane Austen's writing is dull as dirt in every sense of the word, doesn't surprise me no modern editor would want to publish tripe like that.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 07-26-2013 at 03:27 AM.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Sasha grey, bobbi starr?

rank sentamentalist

Bronte used a penname because she wrote about her neighbors and didn't want them to find out.

Jane Austen's pseudonym was "A Lady" so it's not like she hid her gender, numbnuts.

Stop rewriting history to fit your artificial vision of the world.
    its pretty funny that the only two "popularly published female novelists" you managed to come up with didn't use their own names. no artificial vision here. you're just exposing yourself like always.