Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool
Default Who Do You Consider The Top 5 Coaches In The League?

List and discuss your top 5 best coaches in the league???
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Tips4
High School Varsity 6th Man

Tips4 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who Do You Consider The Top 5 Coaches In The League?

1.Phil Jackson
2.Jerry Sloan
3.Greg Popovich
4.Pat Riley
5.Avery Johnson

Last edited by Tips4 : 03-14-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I think the best way to judge this is by seeing how well a coach could do without a bunch of great talent. I truly admire Avery and I believe he's going to go down as a great coach, and is doing great things with this very talented team, but I don't think he's top 5.

In general:

Phil
Riley
Sloan
Pop
Karl/JVG

To defend my last 2 choices one only has to look at some of the adversity both those coaches have gone through with their teams. When people were *****ing about firing Van Gundy last year he had every excuse in the world as to why they weren't above water, from the supporting cast, to injuries to superstars. And this year even with the lack of both superstars the Rockets are a team nobody wants to face, and that's largely due to the style he has his talent playing in.

Karl, well his record shows he's a winner with over 800 victories. And there are very few coaches that could've kept the Nuggets above water with the adversity that they've had since he's been here, but let's just go off this year: Kmart goes down, Nene isn't playing, yet the team is around .600 in winning percentage. Then Melo and JR get suspended for a long time, Miller is moved and AI is brought in with a injury depleted team without its 2 top scorers and Camby breaks a finger, and they stay afloat. When guys come back others go out, like AI having to miss a few weeks and when he returns JR goes out, yet more than likely they're going to still be in the playoffs and possibly the 6th seed. And he finally has them playing defense TOGETHER as a unit.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
1.Phil Jackson
2.Jerry Sloan
3.Greg Popovich
4.Pat Riley
5.Avery Johnson

I like choices 1 through 4, but I wouldn't put Avery there yet. Sure his record has been unbelievable since taking over as coach but his team has been stacked with so much talent and so much depth. He did a horrible job coaching in the finals, so I'll wait until this years playoffs are through until I put him up there.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #5
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Where's Mike?
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force
I like choices 1 through 4, but I wouldn't put Avery there yet. Sure his record has been unbelievable since taking over as coach but his team has been stacked with so much talent and so much depth. He did a horrible job coaching in the finals, so I'll wait until this years playoffs are through until I put him up there.

Is Phil a great coach now that he doesn't have all the talent at his side? Riley's looking pretty good with D Wade and Shaq, what happened when he was in New York?

Anyway, they're your picks, and I'm putting them on my list too... However, I think they are just good (not amazing) coaches that are good at handling the spot-light and ego's (something most coaches can't handle). Sloan hasn't had great talent for a few years (with young players and injuries galore), where the Jazz could have easily had been the worst team in the league.. and two or three years ago, everyone pretty much predicted just that, and yet he almost motivated them enough to get them to the playoffs. He didn't have a Shaq, or Jordan, or Malone... He had a defensive minded Kirelenko and some other young players.

Sloan
Popovich
Riley
Avery Johnson
Scott Skiles

and Mike D'Antoni cuz he has to be in there too... Has great talent on the team, a team strategy that's kicking butt, but come deep in the playoffs, I don't know if high offense, low defense is going to get it done.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
lakers_bball
Can barely lace up my sneakers

lakers_bball has an OK reputation so far

1. red auerbach
2. phil
3. jerry sloan
4. pat riley
5. pop
lakers_bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

1. Gregg Popovich
2. Jerry Sloan
3. Phil Jackson
4. Mike D'Antoni
5. Scott Skiles

I just love what Popovich does in SA. I wish the Raptors had a guy like him. To me it just doesn't seem like the Spurs are THAT talented. You have Duncan the superstar and two solid 2nd options but after that it "looks" really ugly and yet Pop gets so much out of his players. Everytime I watch a Spurs game they are like a machine. Everyone knows their role, everyone knows where to be and what to be doing at exactly the right times.

I also thought what he did to curb Tony Parker's chucking ways was brilliant. I don't know why more coaches don't do the same thing.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 03-14-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. Greg Popavich
2. Phil Jackson
3. Jerry Sloan
4. Mike D'Antoni (I like what he's done in Phnx.)
5. Pat Riley

I put Pop over The Zen Master because he's done it consistantly for years. Always a contender, and a genious with the bench. When it comes to rotations I think the only coach I've seen play his bench better is UK coach Tubby Smith (obviously not as of late, but back when Hayes still played and they were elite).
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

phil
pat
pop
sloan
avery
jvg
carlisle
karl
scott
skiles
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: