Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default McInnis' chance to cut down Nets

Quote:
NETS AT BOBCATS, 7 TONIGHT
McInnis' chance to cut down Nets
Facing old friends could spur guard to talk trash
RICK BONNELL
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Jeff McInnis says he only talks trash to his friends.

So he probably won't say much of anything to New Jersey Nets coach Lawrence Frank tonight.

McInnis is happy to be out of New Jersey and happy to have a role with an NBA team that needs him. He'd also be happy to show former teammates he can still make a big shot or a big stop.

But revenge isn't on his agenda for tonight's Bobcats-Nets game.

"They did me a favor. I wanted to go,'' McInnis said, sounding ambivalent, rather than bitter. "Sure, I want to beat them. It'd be fun to talk some (trash) to my friends. But as far as Coach Frank, I don't have anything against him.''

The Nets signed McInnis two summers ago to back up Jason Kidd at point guard. His playing time slipped, and he injured his knee. His relationship with management got so sideways, the Nets paid McInnis to stay away.

Then Bobcats guard Brevin Knight tore an abdominal muscle, leaving the team with no backup to Raymond Felton. Bobcats coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff knew McInnis well, so he recently acquired the former West Charlotte High standout, in return for Bernard Robinson.

McInnis' reputation is prickly. Bickerstaff understands why, but he sees McInnis as playful and fearless.

"(Former North Carolina coach) Dean Smith said that's one thing you'll really like about him: He's willing to take big shots,'' Bickerstaff recalled of drafting McInnis for the Denver Nuggets.

"And he'll tell you about it'' when he makes them, Bickerstaff added.

That happened during the Bobcats' first season. McInnis was playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Bickerstaff kept sending Knight inside to double-team. That left McInnis open for a series of 3-pointers that won the game.

"He kept asking, `You guys going to guard me?' '' Bickerstaff said. "He warned us.''

If McInnis can make a similar big play against the Nets -- a winning shot, pass or defensive stop -- he figures to remind Kidd or Vince Carter. That's McInnis' makeup.

"I think it comes from the way I grew up -- I'm not scared of failure,'' he said. "I don't get too high when things go well or too low when they don't.''

And about that trash talk?

"You can't be the nicest guy,'' McInnis concluded, "and succeed in this league.''

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/16477185.htm
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Jerz Netz
Local High School Star

no chance
Jerz Netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Do you do this to every team before a game? Or just us because you think it will raise your team's low self esteem? Or is it because you're trying to find something to get the focus off of your PG's personal life?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Do you do this to every team before a game? Or just us because you think it will raise your team's low self esteem? Or is it because you're trying to find something to get the focus off of your PG's personal life?

Bravo.
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Jerz Netz
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh

aw we got some sore losers. its ok i forgive you. i'll leave you children alone now
Jerz Netz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz Netz
aw we got some sore losers. its ok i forgive you. i'll leave you children alone now

bye
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Quote:
Aw it looks like we've got a puss. I made that post while the game was still going on and Charlotte cutting the lead on every possession.

So yeah, after 2 losing seasons and heading for a possible third, I'm a sore loser. Good analogy knucklehead.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:

Not sore losers, just disappointed losers. You'd feel the same way if it were your team that wasn't playing up to their potential. And as far as letting us CHILDREN alone--I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother!!
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: