Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could the Pacers eventually leave Indiana?

This is bad man, if we lose the pacers I will say F#$@ the NBA. Why dont these guys take some pay cuts? Why dont they just shut the freakin lights off in conseco at night? That right there would prolly give them atleast 1/4 of the money. I hate this.................

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Default Re: Man front page pacers news sux!

I've known we've never been a very profitable franchise, and I question the bookkeeping on that "losses in 26 of 28 years" claim. But I'm legitimately afraid of losing the Pacers, very much so. Detroit autoworker unions made concessions just days ago, if your average joe is willing to make sacrifices, millionaires paid to play a game better damn well be to. This means a hard cap, MAJOR salary drops, the riddance of fully guaranteed contracts (finally), some form of renogotiantion of revenue sharing, and yes, the folding of teams who can't compete.

By the time this economic crisis ends, pro sports and I think especially the NBA are going to be drastically different, regardless of whatever lip service David Stern pays to pacify sponsors. A tax increase will NOT happen, it's career suicide for any politician that would propose it. We all love basketball and the Pacers, but if you have a problem with major banks and corporations running their companies into the ground then asking the citizens to foot the bill for the fix while they keep their jobs, how can you not with this?

PS&E has been run horribly the last few years. How long did we have Bird and Walsh with the same job title making millions? Now we have Bird AND Morway making bank, why do we need both? How many guys from the ole boys' club have cushy front office jobs like Sam Perkins making hundreds of thousands to do....what? Hang out? Now the Simons (god love em) want a sweeter deal then they already have just because the Colts were able to rob the city more efficiently?

Another thing that's sure to go is the Fever. The Fieldhouse has to hold X number of dates for their games that could go to actual profitable ventures. It'll be a shame, I really don't think they're that much of a drag on the bottom line, but they're gone in my view. Get rid of that retarded ABA agreement with St. Louis, does that thing ever expire, hasn't an agreement been tried in oh, the last 3 damn decades?

Bottom line, the NBA business model is broken. Things can only keep getting bigger and better for so long until it all falls apart (this is my view of America in a nutshell). After the Seattle fiasco, I saluted the city for not giving into the greedy will of a scumbag owner. Should the Pacers leave, I will suredly weep like a baby, but I will have much the same feelings in the long run as I do towards Seattle. I realize there's always the next city willing to give free prime real estate and $200 million + palaces to billionaires for free so they can have another status symbol in their little circle of cigar puffing, private jet riding, caviar eating, taxpayer swindling buddies, but eventually that well of cities will run dry, I hope.

In short, the NBA and the Pacers need to get their own house in order before they want ANYTHING more from this city. If they don't, **** em, I've got Purdue to root for.

Just such a shame of the timing of all this. Read the comments on the Indy Star articles, full of idiots whose only input is "team of thugs, screw em." I felt like we were finally about to turn the corner with the fanbase alienation, and now this.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by InspiredLebowski; 03-10-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Default Re: Man front page pacers news sux!

Another Star article with direct quotes from Simon about not being able to afford Conseco. It ends with something along the lines of them not knowing how to come up with the money and that "it isn't their job."

**** YOU IT ISN'T YOUR JOB. You run the franchise like it's Tyco and you think we should just hand you some money because your malls aren't turning profits anymore? God forbid you actually figure out why the team's never made money even after years of success and near sellouts with the San Antonios and Utahs of the world seem to be doing just fine. Just maybe you think it's your damn fault? Go to damn hell. I'm becoming disgusted by the public approaches of the Simons with this. Find a local buyer and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

If the only way we can keep this team is by finding $15m in new tax money a year, pack the bags for Kansas City or wherever. What happens after we prop you up and then you keep up the same practices, how long until you need more money or you start making veiled threats again? You want to make public statements? How bout a "The business model of pro sports as a whole is corrupt and bordering on insane. Complete upheaval of the NBA modus operandi needs to be accomplished." Because that's what needs to happen. This is Seattle all over again. Oh yeah, one of the heads of the CIB OVERSAW THE SONICS DEBACLE. I'm disgusted. CIB, man up, tell em find the money or start looking for buyers yesterday.

Future D1 Dad

Default Re: Could the Pacers eventually leave Indiana?

i was just about to start a thread about this. here's a short article about the situation from indystar.com:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...TS04/903110367

of course there's a chance that the pacers could leave conseco fieldhouse but maybe not the indianapolis area entirely. i say move them back to the arena at the fairgrounds, where they played long ago, and charge cheap ticket prices.

Hello Ball Don't Lie, I'm not always so angry.

If they don't, **** em, I've got Purdue to root for.

Duuuuuuude.

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    i was just about to start a thread about this. here's a short article about the situation from indystar.com:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...TS04/903110367

of course there's a chance that the pacers could leave conseco fieldhouse but maybe not the indianapolis area entirely. i say move them back to the arena at the fairgrounds, where they played long ago, and charge cheap ticket prices.
    While I'd certainly support any measure that keeps the Pacers here, that doesn't solve the problem with Conseco. Then it sits empty 41 times a year, losing much of what little income they already have to pay the upkeep. Then the taxpayer and the government has no choice but to pay for it. And while playing back at the Fairgrounds or maybe Hinkle or making some tours around Mackey and Assembly Hall, the ticket price would have to be drastically reduced with the lesser "comfort factor" and maybe cancelling out any possibility of turning more of a profit. I'm worried, I can't find any solution other than a move, fold, or new ownership if the Simons are unwilling to address their business practice.

I suppose if there's any silver lining, it's that there can't be too many cities willing to accept what's looking more and more like a burden of a pro sports franchise in this climate. Of course, this climate isn't going to last forever (right?).

Quote Originally Posted by catzhernandez
    Duuuuuuude.
    What? Lesser level of play or not, at least they're self sufficient. I assume so anyway, Purdue is obviously a public school who receives MUCH public money, but it's my understanding any outlying costs that apply to most BCS conference hoops programs are covered by the income. I love pro sports, but the culture of many owners is really turning me off.
    Last edited by InspiredLebowski; 03-11-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Simon Bros need to sell. This isn't fair.

Something I just (rather ignorantly) realized about my "San Antonio and Utah doing fine" remark. Neither of them have an entire other pro sports team to support, Utah not even in the entire state. A lot easier to keep attendance and money up when there's little to no competition. Remember when the Pacers were doing pretty well (at least record wise, apparently) and the talk year after year was the Colts moving to LA? Indy can't cut it.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

I'll buy a Murphy or Ford jersey-t-shirt if you guys link me to a store. Grew up in Iowa and loved your Dale and Ant Davis/Smits/WOrkman/REg teams. won't let you leave if i can help it.

Learning to shoot layups nesgodawg's Avatar

I would hate it if the Pacers moved. It would be weird.

Seattle has your back guys!

http://biased-sports.com/save-the-pacers/

Learning to shoot layups Irk Woodsman's Avatar

I'm not afraid that the Pacers are leaving. There could be a long argument on who's going to take them in this economy, but to me it seems it would be too much of a gamble and a slap in the face to taxpayers of any state to spend that kind of money anytime in the near future. I know, ideally, bringing in a Pro sports team would boost the economy of a city without one, but in these times it seems too much of a risk. I think all of this is just getting Indy ready for another restaraunt tax increase, TPTB (in alot of areas) don't want to pass up on a chance of getting some of those superbowl dollars that'll be coming to town. The taxpayers will take care of this one.

Meeting at the Statehouse to discuss possible options for covering the CIB shortfalls and what can be done about the Conseco operating costs. Pacers CEO Jim Morris says "everything is on the table" in regards to finding an agreement.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Remember when the Pacers were doing pretty well (at least record wise, apparently) and the talk year after year was the Colts moving to LA? Indy can't cut it.
    exactly. the colts were absolutely horrible for the longest time and they talked about shipping them out every season until they started to win again. it would be a shame for the pacers to be forced to move due to financial reasons and not their winning record.

i say move the colts. i don't care for football anyway.

Bill being proposed at the statehouse today, saves Pacers $10 million annually on Conseco costs, and increases a ****load of taxes.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=10117780