Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #46
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

o well u see a 4.1 on a 5 point scale isnt as bad as a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale and barely being in the top 25%.
Hawker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #47
geeWiz15
Banned

Quote:
yo geewiz did u check the average salary for james madison and UVA?

That will usually tell u who does better
you missed my whole point. my point is that smarter kids go to prestigeous schools and that is why they have higher avg incomes out the gate. it's not because of some magical power than having UVA on your resume means your employer gives you a five digit raise as a "prize."

if a dumb kid somehow stumbles into UVA acceptance he's not going to get a great job just cause he went to UVA, and he wouldn't get a job if he went to JMU either. and if a smart kid goes to UVA he'll probably get the same job he would have gotten if he'd have shown the same potential at JMU.

and even if it makes a difference right out the gate, it won't in 20 years. long-term it matters what you do with yourself outside of college and how you apply that education.

plus UVA is full of snobs and is devoid of sexual appeal and partying. JMU has ample amounts of both. I don't want my college life to be lifeless like my highschool one.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #48
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
o well u see a 4.1 on a 5 point scale isnt as bad as a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale and barely being in the top 25%.

Yeah it's not as bad, it's worse, 3.6/4 is about 90% while 4.1/5 is about 82%.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:24 PM   #49
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15

I never bought that. if you're smart you're smart. if you're qualified you're qualified. the reason UVA/Duke/UNC kids get all the great jobs straight outta college is because they're the smartest kids in the country. if somebody is UVA smart, but goes to JMU, he isn't getting an inferior education. he's still the same person, he's still gonna make something of himself.

plus the field Im going into (sociology or psychology) isn't really a matter of "doors being opened." If I was going into corporate world or sciences or whatever than I could see that. but I just want to do experiments on people and write books about them when I grow up.

That could be true, but more "prestigious" schools more often provide a better learning environment and resources for that person. Either way, a smart person as you say might make it regardless of which college he goes to, but he still needs to wisely choose which college will cater best to his needs. A more prestigious school often has the budget and resources to better cater to all kinds of students's needs.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #50
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

No funky, i was trying to say that I had a better overall average. Just trying to say my school was more competative and I still didn't get into A&M because they are pulling a thing where they want a bunch of legacies, not that I really wanted to go there anyways.
Suns4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #51
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

go to yale or go to community college but all that matters is how i do after i get out of it right?
Quote:
Yeah it's not as bad, it's worse, 3.6/4 is about 90% while 4.1/5 is about 82%.

true.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #52
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

dood u didnt have a better overall average then me. Urs was on a 5.0 scale mine is on a 4.0 scale.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #53
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
you missed my whole point. my point is that smarter kids go to prestigeous schools and that is why they have higher avg incomes out the gate. it's not because of some magical power than having UVA on your resume means your employer gives you a five digit raise as a "prize."

if a dumb kid somehow stumbles into UVA acceptance he's not going to get a great job just cause he went to UVA, and he wouldn't get a job if he went to JMU either. and if a smart kid goes to UVA he'll probably get the same job he would have gotten if he'd have shown the same potential at JMU.

and even if it makes a difference right out the gate, it won't in 20 years. long-term it matters what you do with yourself outside of college and how you apply that education.

plus UVA is full of snobs and is devoid of sexual appeal and partying. JMU has ample amounts of both. I don't want my college life to be lifeless like my highschool one.

yes he/she will. The more competitive industries only recruit at T-25 or T-50 schools. Someone at the bottom of UVA has the same opportunity as someone at the top quarter of JMU. The theory is they are going against better competition than schools like JMU. The person at the bottom 10% of HArvard has just as many opportunites as valedictorian of JMU, true story.

And depending on your choice of profession your degree will follow throughout your life. Im applying to grad school right now and im going to the most prestigious school and dont even care about the 100,000 debt.

College is what you make of it. Sooner or later you will realize the opportunities you passed up.

Last edited by Younggrease : 09-16-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #54
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
dood u didnt have a better overall average then me. Urs was on a 5.0 scale mine is on a 4.0 scale.

"dood" mine totally was. We still got A-F grades, but if you happen to get an A in an AP class, you can get above a 4.0 average.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #55
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

ya same here but it wasnt on a 5.0 scale like urs was.

4.1/5=82%

3.64/5=91%

yep.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #56
Suns4Life
Hey-OOOOOOOOO

It was considered 5 if you got over, but it was still technically a 4. Either way, I still got a better average than you.
*curtain close*
Old 09-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #57
Younggrease
Banned

Default ...

not really colleges convert all gpa's to a 4.0 scale so he got a better gpa than you.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #58
IGGYIVERSON
I usually hit open layups

whats funny is that i went to a good academic state University, got my MBA after that. and from all of my childhood/highschool friends, im making the 3rd most amount of money.

the top 2? one barely made it out of highschool. the other dropped out of community college. they're both making close to 6 figures (legally might i add lol). i think thats awesome and it shows you a lot.

college and education is very important. getting a good SAT/ACT/etc score is also great to achieve. but it doesnt equal success at all. its all about drive and its all about having something that sets you apart. there's going to be millions of people with your very same degree and your same GPA, you have to stand out.

Last edited by IGGYIVERSON : 09-16-2006 at 04:51 PM.
IGGYIVERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #59
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

all in all geewiz wouldnt u want to take the easier test to get into college?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #60
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

So Hawker, how'd you find the test?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: