Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 06-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Default Calvin Johnson

Came across this today.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ent/666669002/

It's a good read but the one thing that jumped out at me was this quote

Quote:
Johnson retired as the Lionsí all-time leading receiver with 731 catches for 11,619 yards and 83 touchdowns. Though heís just 32 years old, he said doesn't think he could play a game now even if he wanted to because of the toll the sport took on his body.

ďI donít (think so), man, cause I get up from the bed sometimes in the morning, Iím just like, I shuffle across the ground cause I canít bend my ankles,Ē Johnson said. ďThat was my problem when I played, just ankleís always stuck or swelled up, I canít flex them. If you canít flex your ankles then youíre just running flat-footed all the time.Ē

I can't even imagine how much that would suck to feel like my body was breaking down in my early 30's. He's got millions, but still...
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Default Re: Calvin Johnson

We all were surprised to see someone of his stature retiring while still putting up elite numbers. Football is a grueling sport, if he feels he made enough money to retire comfortably, I can't blame him for looking towards wanting to live longer.
imdaman99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Charlie Sheen
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaman99
We all were surprised to see someone of his stature retiring while still putting up elite numbers. Football is a grueling sport, if he feels he made enough money to retire comfortably, I can't blame him for looking towards wanting to live longer.

yeah. selfishly, I wanted to see him keep going out there and be Calvin. The way he talks about his body feels like some pro wrestler shit though.
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
ShawkFactory
NBA rookie of the year

My favorite athlete of all time.

He has always had a very logical head on his shoulders. Even though he was the consensus top prospect on all the big boards coming out of GT there was still a very real possibility that he would stay his senior year to finish up his degree. It took him much longer to declare than most of his stature would normally.

His retirement honestly didn't surprise me at all. I wasn't necessarily expecting it but it made sense.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: