Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default How do you feel about the proposed Ludlow Amendment?

Reading up on proposed amendments from the past due to another topic I dont wish to put more off subject I came to this one...

Quote:
SEC. 1. Except in the event of an invasion of the United States or its Territorial possessions and attack upon its citizens residing therein, the authority of Congress to declare war shall not become effective until confirmed by a majority of all votes cast thereon in a nationwide referendum. Congress, when it deems a national crisis to exist, may by concurrent resolution refer the question of war or peace to the citizens of the States, the question to be voted on being, Shall the United States declare war on ________? Congress may otherwise by law provide for the enforcement of this section.
SEC. 2. Whenever war is declared the President shall immediately conscript and take for use by the Government all the public and private war properties, yards, factories, and supplies, together with employees necessary for their operation, fixing the compensation for private properties temporarily employed for the war period at a rate not in excess of 4 percent based on tax values assessed in the year preceding the war.[22]

Congressman Ludlow who came up with it:

Quote:
[The amendment would do more to keep American boys out of slaughter pens in foreign countries than any other measure that could be passed. It is based on the philosophy that those who have to suffer and, if need be, to die and to bear the awful burdens and griefs of war shall have something to say as to whether war shall be declared.

If the United States had such an anti-war provision in its Constitution, other countries would follow our example, and I believe wars would be brought to an end.

FDR in opposition:

Quote:
I must frankly state that I consider that the proposed amendment would be impracticable in its application and incompatible with our representative form of government.

Our Government is conducted by the people through representatives of their own choosing. It was with singular unanimity that the founders of the Republic agreed upon such free and representative form of government as the only practical means of government by the people.

Such an amendment to the Constitution as that proposed would cripple any President in his conduct of our foreign relations, and it would encourage other nations to believe that they could violate American rights with impunity.

One thing we can say for sure...

There would have been no US involvement in Vietnam. Probably not Germany either even though they declared war on us first. Japan? Yea...after Pearl harbor maybe we get in there. Not Korea though.

Problem is we dont declare war anymore so modern version of war wouldnt be affected.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: