Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!
 
Scott Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Where ever roofies are sold!
Posts: 367
Default Screen Printing

I've been wanting to get into screen printing for a while now. I figure it would let me create some unique clothes, and possibly make some money selling some.

Has anyone done screen printing, or owned their own machine?
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,364
Default Re: Screen Printing

never done it but i think it would be fun, especially if u can make some extra $$$ doing it. gotta be creative though. are u wanting to do art designs or just like funny sayings on the shirts?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!
 
Scott Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Where ever roofies are sold!
Posts: 367
Default Re: Screen Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
never done it but i think it would be fun, especially if u can make some extra $$$ doing it. gotta be creative though. are u wanting to do art designs or just like funny sayings on the shirts?

Probably mostly designs, I'm no slouch in the art department. I figure selling 20-30 shirts would net me my money back.

My friend is an aspiring musician and we were talking about me selling merch for him at shows. I could easily whip up some shirts and charge 15/20 and make a ton of profit after he builds up a little following(if he does). I would also try and take requests if anyone wanted something.
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,364
Default Re: Screen Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baker
Probably mostly designs, I'm no slouch in the art department. I figure selling 20-30 shirts would net me my money back.

My friend is an aspiring musician and we were talking about me selling merch for him at shows. I could easily whip up some shirts and charge 15/20 and make a ton of profit after he builds up a little following(if he does). I would also try and take requests if anyone wanted something.
cool. i'd like to see some of your designs.

how the hell do u go from drawing something up to making a stencil out of it?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!
 
Scott Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Where ever roofies are sold!
Posts: 367
Default Re: Screen Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
cool. i'd like to see some of your designs.

how the hell do u go from drawing something up to making a stencil out of it?

I'm not actually sure. The one I was told about is digital, apparently you draw it on a transparent paper(like the old school plastic page for projectors in school), you put it in the machine, then I don't know what happens haha.

I've got to do more research. The only ones I'd seen in real life were the wooden ones that look kind of like presses.
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,364
Default Re: Screen Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baker
I'm not actually sure. The one I was told about is digital, apparently you draw it on a transparent paper(like the old school plastic page for projectors in school), you put it in the machine, then I don't know what happens haha.

I've got to do more research. The only ones I'd seen in real life were the wooden ones that look kind of like presses.
that digital sounds sweet but expensive. nothing like showing off your art and getting paid.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
heyhey
stay mad golden state
 
heyhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina -Currently
Posts: 3,144
Default Re: Screen Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baker
I'm not actually sure. The one I was told about is digital, apparently you draw it on a transparent paper(like the old school plastic page for projectors in school), you put it in the machine, then I don't know what happens haha.

I've got to do more research. The only ones I'd seen in real life were the wooden ones that look kind of like presses.

check out the wiki article. I'm reading it right now. lol I also design my own shirts but usually uses photoshop. screen printing actually seem like I can get a more vintage and raw look with them. The wiki article has a good explanation of the photo emulsion process for stenciling. I'm uncertain about the cost or size of the machine it describe tho.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Hawker
Banned
 
Hawker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,940
Default Re: Screen Printing

It's more of hassle then you think it will be. My roommate had one but he sold all the shit to some dudes that were trying to make their own clothing design. It's a bitch to do.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
rawimpact
Banned
 
rawimpact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,761
Default Re: Screen Printing

Don't bother, multiple colored ones can be VERY costly...
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy