Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, can we actually see who has read our FB profile the most?

My opinion is that, no, there's still no such option available for the average user. However, some insist that this can actually happen when you view the "top friends" section of the "view page source" sector (random example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElXfeinVoc). A couple of people even went as far as to claim that the order these users appear is the chronological order they viewed your profile.

Now, I know for a FACT that the latter one is false - it's not hard to try this out. But when it comes to the "who read your profile the most" thing, I want to ask this, especially to anyone who believes this is the real deal: Even though it appears that the order looks plausible (e.g, top friends come first), how can we know that this isn't just a list of the friends you generally interact with the most (including you viewing their profile, your "likes", chatting, etc)? How have people come to the conclusion that this list orders your friends in this specific way?

Default Re: So, can we actually see who has read our FB profile the most?

im under the impression that when facebook recommends someone that you "might know" that these persons have friends in common with you but are also looking at your profile frequently. I have a girl that shows up very frequently for me and i have not friended her yet.

Clutchbrook Activated WWRWestbrookDo?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    im under the impression that when facebook recommends someone that you "might know" that these persons have friends in common with you but are also looking at your profile frequently. I have a girl that shows up very frequently for me and i have not friended her yet.
    it means you've looked at her profiled before.

Clutchbrook Activated WWRWestbrookDo?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    My opinion is that, no, there's still no such option available for the average user. However, some insist that this can actually happen when you view the "top friends" section of the "view page source" sector (random example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bElXfeinVoc). A couple of people even went as far as to claim that the order these users appear is the chronological order they viewed your profile.

Now, I know for a FACT that the latter one is false - it's not hard to try this out. But when it comes to the "who read your profile the most" thing, I want to ask this, especially to anyone who believes this is the real deal: Even though it appears that the order looks plausible (e.g, top friends come first), how can we know that this isn't just a list of the friends you generally interact with the most (including you viewing their profile, your "likes", chatting, etc)? How have people come to the conclusion that this list orders your friends in this specific way?
    I know on your mobile it shows your top friends that you comment on or look at up top. Kind of like the myspace top 8 friends.

As for knowing who views your profile...I believe only a facebook employee super user has that access.

National High School Star

This is what I actually have been suspecting for a long time now, except with the top 9 friends things that your profile shows. It's funny because every time I view my profile on Facebook, the top 7 out of 9 friends are girls who I have hooked up with, dated, or ex's of my past. It has been like this for months now. The row with the top 3 haven't even moved places at all, it's always the same three girls and the first girl is ALWAYS the same. She was one of the girls I dropped and went straight no contact on because I caught her lying. All of these bishes I don't really talk to much anymore and have moved on. I surely don't message them or post on their wall, and only very rarely will I "like" their post. Same goes with them to me. It's been many months, for some even longer than a year, yet they continue to dominate my top 9 friend display regardless. Since I rarely view their profile, I concluded that it has to be they are viewing me, otherwise what else could the algorithm be picking up on? Anyways, it's a little surprising seeing who is essentially stalking me on there. Oh well, I hide my friends list anyway from friends & public, so right now it is essentially functioning as a personal stalker radar if what I suspect is proven true lol

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

It could be true. There are two friends I can think of that I always see on the top of my list but I rarely look at their profile or interact with them on facebook. I also have a friend who I talk to through fb chat every day and they never pop up into that top area.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

So what you are telling me is that the people I stalk online may know I'm stocking them?

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    This is what I actually have been suspecting for a long time now, except with the top 9 friends things that your profile shows. It's funny because every time I view my profile on Facebook, the top 7 out of 9 friends are girls who I have hooked up with, dated, or ex's of my past. It has been like this for months now. The row with the top 3 haven't even moved places at all, it's always the same three girls and the first girl is ALWAYS the same. She was one of the girls I dropped and went straight no contact on because I caught her lying. All of these bishes I don't really talk to much anymore and have moved on. I surely don't message them or post on their wall, and only very rarely will I "like" their post. Same goes with them to me. It's been many months, for some even longer than a year, yet they continue to dominate my top 9 friend display regardless. Since I rarely view their profile, I concluded that it has to be they are viewing me, otherwise what else could the algorithm be picking up on? Anyways, it's a little surprising seeing who is essentially stalking me on there. Oh well, I hide my friends list anyway from friends & public, so right now it is essentially functioning as a personal stalker radar if what I suspect is proven true lol
    Interesting. Couldn't it be though that FB has kept track of your total interactions with these people since you first created your profile? Meaning that if you used to interact with these girls a lot in the past, they could still overall be at the top if you haven't interacted with other people as much overall during the period of your profile existence, even if you very rarely interact with these girls in the past months. Just saying.

NBA Superstar

Interesting. Sometimes I felt my Chat Window updated from time to time as opposed to being an overall ranking. Undoubtedly the people I interact with most over a given stretch of time seem to take up the first few positions. Though, there's a really random friend I never talk to, comment toward, or give likes to (nor visit their page) in my top ten as well.

From Facebook:

The friends that show up at the top of your sidebar are people you’ve interacted with frequently or recently on Facebook. You can't add friends to this part, though it updates dynamically as the people you interact with change.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-29-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Interesting. Couldn't it be though that FB has kept track of your total interactions with these people since you first created your profile? Meaning that if you used to interact with these girls a lot in the past, they could still overall be at the top if you haven't interacted with other people as much overall during the period of your profile existence, even if you very rarely interact with these girls in the past months. Just saying.
    I thought it could be that, but it doesn't really add up that way. I'm not a person who likes Facebook, so I usually don't use it, if at all. So it's easy to analyze for me. I only have about 300~ish friends too. I never use chat, I leave that off, so that isn't in the equation for me.

In the past with most of these girls, I rarely did a lot of interacting with them over FB even when seeing them.. I always preferred texting or calling on the cell. I did a lot of that, but that is completely separate from FB. I would say 3 of the 7 girls on my top 9, I did very little interacting with on FB, even when I was seeing them. The others I did some interaction, but it wasn't anything overwhelming. Also, if it really was by total interaction, I can think of three people who should be on my top 9 easily, over any of these people, but I don't recall seeing them at all these past months in it.

So unless Facebook uses some very funky algorithm... if I had to put money on it, I believe who views you is the major factor in determining it. Of course there are other factors that can influence it, but I think the major one is by view. It's hard to make sense of it if the major factor was something else for me. Some people in my top 9 I have never messaged even once.......

I thought it could be that, but it doesn't really add up that way. I'm not a person who likes Facebook, so I usually don't use it, if at all. So it's easy to analyze for me. I only have about 300~ish friends too. I never use chat, I leave that off, so that isn't in the equation for me.

In the past with most of these girls, I rarely did a lot of interacting with them over FB even when seeing them.. I always preferred texting or calling on the cell. I did a lot of that, but that is completely separate from FB. I would say 3 of the 7 girls on my top 9, I did very little interacting with on FB, even when I was seeing them. The others I did some interaction, but it wasn't anything overwhelming. Also, if it really was by total interaction, I can think of three people who should be on my top 9 easily, over any of these people, but I don't recall seeing them at all these past months in it.

So unless Facebook uses some very funky algorithm... if I had to put money on it, I believe who views you is the major factor in determining it. Of course there are other factors that can influence it, but I think the major one is by view. It's hard to make sense of it if the major factor was something else for me. Some people in my top 9 I have never messaged even once.......
    Or maybe because you so rarely use facebook, it's the only thing they have to go by for you? But if you also chatted and did other things, maybe no?

This is very interesting and now annoying. I looked at who's my top 9, looked at some other peoples, grr, better off not knowing who's looking at some peoples pages. lol

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Or maybe because you so rarely use facebook, it's the only thing they have to go by for you? But if you also chatted and did other things, maybe no?

This is very interesting and now annoying. I looked at who's my top 9, looked at some other peoples, grr, better off not knowing who's looking at some peoples pages. lol
    I do use Facebook, just not nearly as much as my friend. For some girls I know, it's like crack lol. I never use chat. I hated chatting or anything IM like going back to the AIM/AOL days.

It is annoying. That friend thing used to seem random a long time ago, always changing. But now since it's been more consistent, it leaves a lot of room for people to speculate on why it shows only certain people and why it tends to stay the same. I personally feel it's bad to reveal who's viewing who policy-wise (I like total privacy) so I rather it not be like that, but it is what it is.

If I were to guess the factors determining it, I would say it is these from most important to least:

1. Total Profile views
    2. Recent messages
    3. Recent wall post, wall replies, status liking

I don't use chat but maybe chat has some influence too.

I bet some Facebook employee at Facebook HQ is definitely having fun determining this kinda stuff and laughing at what people are speculating on

I do use Facebook, just not nearly as much as my friend. For some girls I know, it's like crack lol. I never use chat. I hated chatting or anything IM like going back to the AIM/AOL days.

It is annoying. That friend thing used to seem random a long time ago, always changing. But now since it's been more consistent, it leaves a lot of room for people to speculate on why it shows only certain people and why it tends to stay the same. I personally feel it's bad to reveal who's viewing who policy-wise (I like total privacy) so I rather it not be like that, but it is what it is.

If I were to guess the factors determining it, I would say it is these from most important to least:

1. Total Profile views
    2. Recent messages
    3. Recent wall post, wall replies, status liking

I don't use chat but maybe chat has some influence too.

I bet some Facebook employee at Facebook HQ is definitely having fun determining this kinda stuff and laughing at what people are speculating on
    Yeah they're probably laughing their asses off. 'Look at all of our minions and their futile attempts to understand our algorithm, muhuahhahaha"

Some people go crazy trying to figure it out, which I now know after googling it haha

Well I have an ex that I'M not FB friends with, but one of my good friends is. And she's on his top 9. So, all I can say is, hopefully she's trying to catch glimpses about me through his page and not talking with that dirty bastard. lmao.

I don't even care about her thatttttt much anymore (okay a little) but Facebook just puts your damn ex's in your face sometimes and you have no choice but to care a lil

as for 'top friends' giving likes definitely counts, probably viewing the profile too

Home of the 16

Those are just the people that you interact with the most. And I had to 'find' other friendsinitaldata somethin like that to copy the code, cuz that video is old & outdated.