Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 28,797
gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Congrats to Mr. Sloan and you fans on his 1000th win as coach of the Jazz.

Well done, be proud
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
OlDeRaDo_64
Jazz Vs Bulls Oct 6 :D
 
OlDeRaDo_64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: o2 arena... waiting
Posts: 646
OlDeRaDo_64 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Yea, a massive achievment for Sloan, a great way to do it as well with a 5-0 streak
Sloan didnt look too bothered though, just like any other game.

Lets hope we can take our game to the Gardens and come up with a W there.
OlDeRaDo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star
 
CakeorDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,555
CakeorDeath has decent reputation
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Can't wait for Zhou to come in here and say that Sloan should have been fired 995 wins ago.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,718
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Certainly shouldn't have been more than 251. You have two of the greatest and most durable players healthy and at the top of their games and go from 1st to 3rd and from conference finals to first round loss you don't have a job anywhere else in sports.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario
 
Luigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,616
Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Certainly shouldn't have been more than 251. You have two of the greatest and most durable players healthy and at the top of their games and go from 1st to 3rd and from conference finals to first round loss you don't have a job anywhere else in sports.

They could have canned him. That might have got a championship, might not have. If they did can him though, it is much more likely that 5 years down the road the team is garbage and might never recover ala NYK. I appreciate the even keel Sloan has given Utah, keeping them well above 500 and in the playoffs with only a few exceptions.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,718
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Quote:
If they did can him though, it is much more likely that 5 years down the road the team is garbage

How do you figure Stockton and Malone turn into garbage without Sloan? As the Pistons have proven with 3 different coaches during their streak of conference finals it's about the players and they haven't had a player as good as Stockton and Malone let alone two. You're giving Sloan too much credit. Great players win.

Quote:
I appreciate the even keel Sloan has given Utah, keeping them well above 500 and in the playoffs with only a few exceptions.

Why wouldn't this have happened without Sloan? One of those years they didn't make the playoffs was when Sloan was getting into it with yet another player(who should have been sitting behind the FA Sloan had 3rd string) after a hot start and they never recovered. The next year they didn't make the playoffs cuz Deron was sitting the bench behind two stiffs.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario
 
Luigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,616
Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
How do you figure Stockton and Malone turn into garbage without Sloan? As the Pistons have proven with 3 different coaches during their streak of conference finals it's about the players and they haven't had a player as good as Stockton and Malone let alone two. You're giving Sloan too much credit. Great players win.
Stockton and Malone shouldn't be mentioned without Sloan. It was a trio, not a duo. Those plays were set up perfectly for each player's strengths. Stockton took his cue from Jerry. Garbage...maybe not. But a marked drop off? One should expect.

Quote:
Why wouldn't this have happened without Sloan? One of those years they didn't make the playoffs was when Sloan was getting into it with yet another player(who should have been sitting behind the FA Sloan had 3rd string) after a hot start and they never recovered. The next year they didn't make the playoffs cuz Deron was sitting the bench behind two stiffs.
I thought you always blamed the players.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,718
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Quote:
.Stockton and Malone shouldn't be mentioned without Sloan. It was a trio, not a duo.

He's not in their class.

Quote:
Those plays were set up perfectly for each player's strengths.

They were at their best running. Sloan preferred to slow it down. He doesn't deserve credit for them being great players. Their genes and hard work do. They would have been great in any system with or without each other. Sloan wasn't great period and certainly not with Chicago.

Quote:
Garbage...maybe not. But a marked drop off? One should expect.

Why should one expect? Has Detroit been much different through 3 highly respected head coaches?


Quote:
I thought you always blamed the players.

?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,718
Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Quote:
Those plays were set up perfectly for each player's strengths.


That argument might hold some water with Boozer. Obviously he's a different player in the Jazz's system. Stockton and Malone were superstars before Jerry became coach.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)
 
Yung D-Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jerry Sloan's Doghouse
Posts: 12,580
Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Congrats to Jerry Sloan

Can someone please give him a coach of the year award how many times does he have to prove himself year after year till the league acknowledges his excellence?
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy