Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
derf
Learning to shoot layups

Default do the griz look like a team of the future?

oj mayo,rudy,gay,marc gasol and im 50 50 on arthur and lowery but conley and most of the other young players show no promise at all
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Default Re: do the griz look like a team of the future?

Mayo - Great potential, future all-star.

Gay - Also has potential.

Gasol - Already a solid player and is possibly the best rookie big man.

Hak - Is playing excellent basketball at the moment, though because of his size, he may struggle to become anything more.

Lowry - Starting to show signs of being a decent point guard, no longer does he hog the ball or take terrible shot attempts ans has really improved his passing game since last year.

Darko - These past few games have really shown us that we value this guy and that we do need him. He provides solid defense and toughness under the basket, which are desperately missing right now. It's a shame really, he was playing so well and then he got injured and now he's out of action for another 4 weeks or so.

Other than that, I agree nothing special. Conley has really been a disappointment this year and I doubt he can become anything special. Ross may get resigned at the end of the year, if he is really needed, I'd like for him to stay with the Grizz a little while longer. Buckner and Jaric are just picking up spare minutes. Haddadi is not going to do anything significant. He might get 5-8 mpg next year if he's lucky and/or we get hit an injury.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

people forget mayo is 21 and rudy gay is 22, rudy gay has such a high ceiling of potential he has great size and length...he just doesnt play well with mayo...last year was nice with mike miller...mayo doesnt have the size but he has skillset he will be a star.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
berraco
Darko The Ripper

The Grizz have a solid core in terms of future, with a possible hole in the point (I still have some faith in Conley) a big hole in the paint. The duo Gay-Mayo can really lead a team to the playoffs in the future with the kind of supporting cast they have now and some more experience. Adding a scorer in the paint will be key for the success of the team. Spot by spot:
C - Gasol and Darko can provide solid defense and a nice amount of points/rebounds
PF - Arthur and Warrick would be good off the bench. I don't think any of the two can be the guy the Grizzlies need as their starting PF.
SF - Gay is good enough to be a first or second option in any team in the league.
SG - Mayo, same as Rudy
PG - Conley and Lowry, ok none of them look now as the PG for a contender, but almost everybody thought the same about Rondo and look at him now. Give Conley a decent coach and he will probably improve a lot. Give him some time to get experience, and let his team mates (Gay and Mayo, mainly) do the same and probably Conley's game will step up.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Yes. The only set things right now are Mayo, Gay, Gasol and Warrick off the bench. Lowry can be a good backup, but not a starting quality guard. Darko can be a good backup too, though right now we really miss him as a starter.

In terms of PG play we are among last in the league right now, maybe competing with GS scrubs for worst. Imagine if we only had a legit passing PG then Gayo can really take off.

What bugs me about Conley is how he can't score. Almost all guards play him for the pass, which results in TO's. If only he could make the D honest just for even a bit.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Lowry knew if he didn't improved he be right back on the bench so I'm glad he's become more of a distributor. We really need to go after a point guard in the draft. To be honest with you, I'm not sure how long Gay and Mayo will last. Gay can be a selfish player at times, he's inconsistent and settles for jumpshots way too often. Hopefully it works out though.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

They are a good team and I like the Grizz.

I love watching Mayo play, he is a truly talented baller and will be a future MVP in my eyes...

If the Grizz can get some solid picks in the coming years and make some nice trades, they can be bound for the playoffs
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: