Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #481
PistonsFan#21
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Roberson tips 13 dollars on 487 dollar bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPlayer
Don't people "deserve" whatever someone else is willing to pay them??

Not if the optional tip isnt given willingly but more of a caution to avoid having entitled waiters mess with your food
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #482
MaxPlayer
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernkastel
This is an argument that non-tippers can use to justify themselves.

I guess, but it's kind of a circular argument: "I think they don't deserve to be paid to serve me because I think they don't deserve to be paid to serve me."
MaxPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #483
Bernkastel
Good High School Starter

Quote:
I guess, but it's kind of a circular argument: "I think they don't deserve to be paid to serve me because I think they don't deserve to be paid to serve me."

But that wouldn't be the reason why they think that. A more accurate rendering would be "I think they don't deserve to be paid to serve me, so I don't pay them."
Bernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #484
TiagoSimoes
Gotta love the L's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsilv
The price of my mechanic's labor is built into the agreed upon price, a price that can be haggled over. The mechanic will attempt to upsell me on services which he will make more money from, just like a serve will attempt to up sell me their product. The difference being how the labor is paid for.

You seem to have an issue grasping that labor, commission, tip, etc are all the same things ultimately.

A comission is decided between employer and employee, the costumer has nothing do to with that.
A tip is something that the costumer decides give EXTRA due to the performance of the service provider.

No its not the same.
TiagoSimoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #485
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
The fee for their services is already included in those prices.

Apparently the clientele who ride the bus is somehow different from those who eat at fancy restaurants? Who knew??

No, the fee for their services isn't included in the prices.

Like I said, why not tip the troubleshooting CSRs as well?

Quote:
No. Serving remains one of the largest fields that people can earn a reasonable living wage in without a college degree. It is a field that should grow and not shrink and we automate more and more jobs away.

Tipping is a great way that allows top sales people in that field to earn more money than a base salary would all them, just like nearly EVERY other sales job on the market. Serving is also a great entry level sales job that can afford them the opportunity to move up in the industry or move laterally to other industries.

Why is tipping different from a sales commission? Or in car sales when they negotiate their fee into the purchase price without you know what it is?

Serving isn't really a sales job, I've never had a server attempt to "sell" me anything. From a place like shitty Denny's/Sizzler to PF Changes/Benihana/Cafe Poca Cosa.

Tipping is different from a sales commission because a sales commission isn't coming out of the consumers pocket.

How the hell can you even compare the two?

Quote:
UPS drivers do not prove me personalized service. I do not speak to them. They don't offer suggestions. They do not enhance a luxury experience. It is unlikely I'll ever even see them. How is this remotely comparable?

Then why don't you tip the CSRs you speak with on the phone? They surely speak to you, personalize the experience more than servers, offer suggests and so forth.

Or a AAA/MCA tow truck driver changing your flat tire? Or the cable guy? Or the Sprint store employee who sells you a plan/phone?

Quote:
The price of my mechanic's labor is built into the agreed upon price, a price that can be haggled over. The mechanic will attempt to upsell me on services which he will make more money from, just like a serve will attempt to up sell me their product. The difference being how the labor is paid for.

You seem to have an issue grasping that labor, commission, tip, etc are all the same things ultimately.

It's labor to "suggest" something? And no, commission and tip are NOT the same thing.

Absolutely disgusting trying to combine the two.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #486
TiagoSimoes
Gotta love the L's

Quote:

I think they dont deserve to get TIPPED(they get payed by they employer) and expecting that of me, regardless doing a shit job or not.

FIFY

Im only tipping if i think its deserved and i do tip most of the time.
TiagoSimoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #487
nineiron
I usually hit open layups

Quote:

wrong. even if there are no customers, the mechanic still makes their hourly wage.

you seem to have an issue grasping common sense.
nineiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #488
nineiron

Quote:
If they increased the price of the food to pay the server, you'd still be paying them. Why is doing it directly and with full discretion such an issue for you?

or maybe they could use less servers and servers won't be as lazy. or maybe they don't increase the price and do higher volume. there are a number of different scenarios to recoup the higher wages to servers if tips were abolished.

fact remains that neither the owners or the servers want the system changed because it benefits them. the owner gets away with giving shitty pay and the server gets away with hiding their earnings from the tax man.

only the customer loses.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #489
nineiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiagoSimoes
A comission is decided between employer and employee, the costumer has nothing do to with that.
A tip is something that the costumer decides give EXTRA due to the performance of the service provider.

No its not the same.

exactly.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #490
Bernkastel
Good High School Starter

I think commision and tipping are related in a tangent. If the tip is expected and given then suggesting higher priced things can get the waiter or salesman more money based on a percentage.

But that's where I think the comparison ends because one is optional and the other is mandatory and more dealt with between employee and employer. Furthermore, the commision comes from the purchase of the car while a tip is extra outside of the food unless it's built into the check.

I think.
Bernkastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #491
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Again, if they didn't, then why would people choose to tip them?
Because its been ingrained into American culture that it is necessary and if you don't, you're an asshole.

If you want to voluntarily tip then by all means do it.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #492
dhsilv
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiagoSimoes

No its not the same.

Of course it is the same. What if the commission is based on the sale size? The customer pays the tip or the commission the same each time. The only difference is the transparency.
dhsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #493
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Of course it is the same. What if the commission is based on the sale size? The customer pays the tip or the commission the same each time. The only difference is the transparency.

No, it isn't the same. The customer doesn't pay the commission, the employer does.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #494
dhsilv
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
No, the fee for their services isn't included in the prices.

Like I said, why not tip the troubleshooting CSRs as well?

Serving isn't really a sales job, I've never had a server attempt to "sell" me anything. From a place like shitty Denny's/Sizzler to PF Changes/Benihana/Cafe Poca Cosa.

Tipping is different from a sales commission because a sales commission isn't coming out of the consumers pocket.

How the hell can you even compare the two?

Then why don't you tip the CSRs you speak with on the phone? They surely speak to you, personalize the experience more than servers, offer suggests and so forth.

Or a AAA/MCA tow truck driver changing your flat tire? Or the cable guy? Or the Sprint store employee who sells you a plan/phone?

It's labor to "suggest" something? And no, commission and tip are NOT the same thing.

Absolutely disgusting trying to combine the two.

What is a CSR? And what is a phone? Sorry I have the internet. These are odd sounding things.

If I get a flat, I change it myself. So I can't comment on AAA or whatever MCA is. I did tip the guy who installed my cable. And I do all phone buying/plan changes online. But the phone sales guy is on commission, so the tip is baked into that.

And you've never had a server sell you anything? Wow...you've had some terrible servers then. Or you can't pick up on subtly.

Serving is absolutely a sales job and employers absolutely like to see that experience on resumes when they hire for their sales force.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #495
dhsilv
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
No, it isn't the same. The customer doesn't pay the commission, the employer does.

Customers pay all expenses that employers pay. Unless it's a company being run into the ground i guess.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: