Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 4 new gameplay

I also finished ACII 100%. Next closest is probably Revelations with ~50%.

I'm just getting into the Jackdaw at this point in the game. 11-12% in.

Local High School Star clipse026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    A little pro tip:

If you have a hard time beating a tough ship the next time you encounter them rather than engage in naval combat just swim to the ship and kill everyone on board. If you then swim back to the Jackdaw and engage it the ship will register as defeated right away.
    Thanks for the tip! I will have to do that because I get destroyed by the big ships and it frustrates the hell out of me.

So I just finished this. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is kind of poorly told at times, but at least Edward and most of the supporting characters are likable (cross dressing chick and Captain Blackbeard were great). I liked all of the exploration and side missions too.

It's a hell of a lot better than 3, that's for sure.

I finished this game two nights ago. I then returned it to GameStop and got my full refund yesterday.
    Loved the game, though. It was a decent story with some great game-play. I'll probably buy it again when the prices drop significantly, and then buy the DLC because I've heard it's worth it.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Just started over the weekend on PS4. So far so good. The tutorial island mission was at least interesting. I stripped it bare of secrets and chests and everything. Then I moved on to Havana where I stripped that city bare as well before starting with the mission stuff. Just got my wrist blades and went through the tutorial type stuff in the Mayor's estate for assassination and shooting. The story has been established, and I feel like I'm pretty quickly into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Yeah, I needed like 10 or so in Brotherhood. But those damn flags.

Spoilers
    I missed this post. Again, great theory. (Spoilers in white) The only problem I see is that I can't see another game like AC3 where the focus is much more on the real world stuff. I think the AC4 formula was pretty successful so they might stick with it until it becomes unpopular. I also think we might continue the story exactly where we left off in AC4 [COLOR="White"]with Aita's death[/COLOR] and we might play as the same dude while [COLOR="White"]aiding the Assassins via Shaun and Rebecca with Aita's body as one of the focal points. I do wonder if present day Aita was Erudito from the previous games? Or did we find out who that was? Anyway, as always they have limitless opportunities as to what they can do next. I can't say enough on how brilliant it was to have us find insane ramblings of Aita in the bottles in the Animus as well as in the cubicles in present day. It is possible that thanks to this clever trick the guy we play is the only one that has figured out who John the IT guy truly was. Kudos to whomever thought of that.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Just started over the weekend on PS4. So far so good. The tutorial island mission was at least interesting. I stripped it bare of secrets and chests and everything. Then I moved on to Havana where I stripped that city bare as well before starting with the mission stuff. Just got my wrist blades and went through the tutorial type stuff in the Mayor's estate for assassination and shooting. The story has been established, and I feel like I'm pretty quickly into it.
    Yeah I think that was one of the major complaints out of both AC2 (still my favorite) and AC3 that they dwell too much on the protagonists' past making the game slower paced in the beginning. That's why Brotherhood and AC4 are probably going to end up being the most popular titles in the long run as they have you jump right into the action.

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I also finished ACII 100%. Next closest is probably Revelations with ~50%.

I'm just getting into the Jackdaw at this point in the game. 11-12% in.
    100% You collected everything? that must have taken forever.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Yeah I think that was one of the major complaints out of both AC2 (still my favorite) and AC3 that they dwell too much on the protagonists' past making the game slower paced in the beginning. That's why Brotherhood and AC4 are probably going to end up being the most popular titles in the long run as they have you jump right into the action.
    Yeah ACIII basically has an 8 hour long tutorial

[COLOR="White"]There's one reason and one reason alone why I think that can happen: people really really enjoyed playing as Desmond for the bit we did in brotherhood? Where we hopped around the Coliseum in modern times, and they did it again in AC3 and it was pretty fun. and that it seems like for once there's an actual story building in the real world. Combine those two and you may have something.

But they'll have to be very very careful to find the right balance between the two. I actually felt 4 could have used more real world stuff. I think the games are successful when the real world stuff is kept in balance. It was too much in one perhaps at times, or at the very least it was uneven with the rest of the game. 2 was solid. Brotherhood was pretty fantastically balanced. and I feel that 3 did it almost entirely right. Because the story wasn't slowed by it IMO. The missions were mostly fun there was a stinker though the one where you ran through the office in Brazil doing stuff? But it also showed how fantastic it could be when you scale the skyscraper and run around on the crane or whatever. It's just got to be the right balance I think. 4 while never having too much, or coming at a bad time left something to be desired I think.

I'm pretty sure Erudito was a group of people. Not entirely sure though. Agreed on the bottles thing. It took me awhile to figure that out. I was like what the **** is this random rambling bullshit? Especially since you don't collect them in any real order.
    [/COLOR]
    I don't know if I needed to put that in white text or not. But I did anyway.

Yeah I really loved the Colosseum bit at the end of Brotherhood and was expecting something just as epic if not more so in AC3. I don't actually remember much of the Desmond missions aside from the key plot points, but that's probably because I never revisited AC3. I just think, and maybe I'm wrong, the general consensus seems to be that the present day stuff is annoying and confusing (it's really not) so I can definitely see Ubisoft focusing less and less on mandatory missions in RL, which would be a shame.

What's interesting is that Desmond was supposed to be this special savior type dude who had the DNA of epic people like Altair, Ezio, Edward, Haytham, Connor, etc., along with their knowledge and skills, was prophesized about by Minerva hundreds of years earlier (my favorite scene from the whole franchise), yet he ended up just being a tool for Juno and Abstergo and used very little of what he acquired to save the Earth. His ending wasn't anywhere near as epic as it should've been.

Yeah I really loved the Colosseum bit at the end of Brotherhood and was expecting something just as epic if not more so in AC3. I don't actually remember much of the Desmond missions aside from the key plot points, but that's probably because I never revisited AC3. I just think, and maybe I'm wrong, the general consensus seems to be that the present day stuff is annoying and confusing (it's really not) so I can definitely see Ubisoft focusing less and less on mandatory missions in RL, which would be a shame.

What's interesting is that Desmond was supposed to be this special savior type dude who had the DNA of epic people like Altair, Ezio, Edward, Haytham, Connor, etc., along with their knowledge and skills, was prophesized about by Minerva hundreds of years earlier (my favorite scene from the whole franchise), yet he ended up just being a tool for Juno and Abstergo and used very little of what he acquired to save the Earth. His ending wasn't anywhere near as epic as it should've been.
    I think a problem people have with the real world stuff is it's not as interesting as the assassins storyline unless you're a hardcore fan of the series. Most people are just like I WANNA RUN AROUND ITALY AND STAB PRIESTS!!! or REVOLUTIONARY WAR KILL DEM BRITISH ******S!!! Whereas, hardcore fans want to know what's happening with Desmond, Juno, What the hell the Templars are planning now that 2012 has passed, etc etc. as well as Ezio, Connor, and Edward.

I agree his ending was pretty lackluster. And I have no idea why the hell they made it that way. Especially since they spent a good portion of Revelations building his character, just to kill him off the next game.

I think the lack of internet wide complaining about the ending to AC3 is proof of how little people in general cared about the real life storyline. Compare that to Mass Effect 3 that had probably just as big a following. Anybody who played the trilogy really cared about Shepard's story so when the ending seemed rushed everybody was up in arms about it. All that people focused on with AC3 was how Connor couldn't hold a candle to Altair and Ezio.

Anyway, I don't mind killing off Desmond, the story wasn't just about him, but the way they killed him was lazy writing IMO. I just don't think they had any idea on what else to do. I think that's why so many people dislike the game, they didn't have a good ending for either the RL stuff or Connor (not sure what they could've done there). Aside from of course a lack of proper architecture that people were so used to, Connor's voice actor being ridiculously wooden, combat being really easy, many side missions being completely unnecessary as they weren't properly intertwined with the main story, etc. I could go on.

I think the lack of internet wide complaining about the ending to AC3 is proof of how little people in general cared about the real life storyline. Compare that to Mass Effect 3 that had probably just as big a following. Anybody who played the trilogy really cared about Shepard's story so when the ending seemed rushed everybody was up in arms about it. All that people focused on with AC3 was how Connor couldn't hold a candle to Altair and Ezio.

Anyway, I don't mind killing off Desmond, the story wasn't just about him, but the way they killed him was lazy writing IMO. I just don't think they had any idea on what else to do. I think that's why so many people dislike the game, they didn't have a good ending for either the RL stuff or Connor (not sure what they could've done there). Aside from of course a lack of proper architecture that people were so used to, Connor's voice actor being ridiculously wooden, combat being really easy, many side missions being completely unnecessary as they weren't properly intertwined with the main story, etc. I could go on.
    I really liked Connor actually but I think his story was just too subtle and layered for an action videogame. I mean, an AC game always has a moral philosophy behind it but centering the main characters story on the complex moral backdrop of the French and Indian War and the American Revolution is just a little too much for a game. That story would work better as a movie or book imo. I think they kind of even threw a jab at that when they talked about Connor's storyline in the hacked Abstergo Ent file.

Desmond's ending really was lazy but what killed me was the totally missed out on the potential father-son moment at the end. Could have been a really powerful moment in the game but they blew it.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I don't know that anyone would refer to me as a hardcore fan of the series. But I have played all of the numbered games (meaning I missed Brotherhood). And I've played them all at a nauseating level, nearly 100%ing all of them.

I have always hated the current day portions of these games, and I don't think I'm a shallow gamer by any stretch. Generally speaking I don't play online, I play single player campaign type games.

Since the series got going, I've been saying I'd be more than happy to have them throw me a new location every year, and just totally ditch the overarching story. It just didn't do anything for me. The playable portions of it had been infuriating. The inability to run. The repeatable interactions, that had my OCD asking the same people questions over and over again to get some stupid answer just because I was afraid I'd miss something.

I actually like the current time stuff in AC3 best, in part because we finally got something to do. Both the crane break in sequence, and the Brazilian sporting event thing, allowed us to use some of our skills in a new setting. But the ending was admittedly rediculous.

I also seem to have liked 3 more than most. I liked Connor more than most people I guess. I thought the combat animations were awesome, and made extended gameplay more compelling. Same with the free running. It probably helps that I know Boston well enough to recognize some of the layout and landmarks. And I'll also admit that it didn't reach the dizzying heights that Rome did, which I also am already beginning to wonder if the Carribean won't get their either. But I also love exploring and collecting, and I felt AC3 did a great job of giving me things to go after, and gave me reasonable rewards for getting them, in that they interested me to get them, or they might help, but they weren't mandatory.

IV looks like it's similar on the collection front, maybe moreso.