Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

I have never bought a PC for gaming before but I am open to the idea now. I am bout to upgrade my laptop/tablet/pc game and I'm trying to find the right combination for my needs. So, I wanted to know if any ISHers have experience with this machine? Does it function well as a cpu? Will it has touch screen with Windows 8.

For $899 it seems like a good deal. Is there a way to have this simultaneous hooked up to a TV and a CPU monitor in separate rooms?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

Don't buy Alienware if you don't want to build one yourself.

I suggest www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerpc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Don't buy Alienware if you don't want to build one yourself.

I suggest www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerpc.com
    why? it seems simple, small and looks nice. I wouldn't play it unless I could put it TV similarly to an XBOX or PS3.

i heard alienware sucks, and there customer service is shit. build your own computer.

Sweden Loves the Green Lebowski's Avatar

I will skip the "build one yourself" advice, it is not for everyone. BUT if you know someone who can help you with the assembly, the bang for your buck is much, much better!

Buying a complete computer is fine, however, with Alienware you pay to much for the name and looks, also as mentioned above it has Dell written all over it which is a warning sign. Try to find other stores who are tech-oriented who sell complete "game PC" packages, someone here must be able to help you out with that. If you live/plan to buy in Sweden I can suggest a few places =)

Also, try to aim a little higher then the i3 processor, and perhaps a GTX 660/HD 7870 graphics card, 8gb ram if it fits your budget.

Good luck!

Never buy alienware.

always build it yourself.

building IS for everyone. it's so ****ign easy these days.

if you can assemble legos, you can build a computer

if you can't build a computer, you are a retarded person

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Not everyone wants to try building it as there are things you can screw up with your parts.

But, most places will give you the option to assemble all your parts for a price (I've seen $50). To me, that's worth the labour because you're still saving a bunch overall by buying the parts sepatately and "building" it.

I really don't want to keep upgrading stuff for pc gaming. Is that required a lot?

NBA Superstar

first gaming computer i ever bought was a Alienware. paid $3500~ for it since i heard they were top of the line way back in the day before they ever combined with Dell. looking back i was a idiot. i'd never go that route again especially when the CD ROM drive failed less than a year later and i realized how they're a lot less quality than their appearances and sleek advertisements. then i bought from Ibuypower like 4~ years later and was pretty happy with it and a lot less regrets knowing i got a good value and all of the components i picked worked fine, not to mention it looked awesome(coolermaster aluminum refrigerator looking case looks so pimp).

i'm shopping for a new desktop now but not in a hurry since my laptop is decent enough for now. i'm pretty sure what i'm going to do is buy all of the components from Newegg and take them to a local computer shop to build it for me. i think i could get them to put it all together for less than $300 at worst altho i'm hoping they'll do it for like $150~, which would still be a nice savings from the prebuilt $1200~ best bang for the buck systems i've been looking at. thats IF i can't find a great deal on a refurbished desktop, refurbished is IMO the best way to go if you can get a good deal. i'm done with way overpaying for top of the line computer crap, learned my lesson.

List the specs, alienware comes with many config.

Never buy Alienware. It's overpriced garbage marketed at people that want to get into PC gaming, but don't know anything about PCs.

If you don't want to build your own that's fine, you'll still overpay, but buy anything but Alienware and you'll overpay a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    List the specs, alienware comes with many config.
    here is the link. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alienwar...1#tab=overview

[QUOTE]3rd Gen Intel

Not a good deal at all, the NVIDIA GT 545 graphics card is low end. You're better off getting a Dell XPS 8500 and upgrade the card to a 660 regular/ 660 TI if you don't want to build your own.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    Not a good deal at all, the NVIDIA GT 545 graphics card is low end. You're better off getting a Dell XPS 8500 and upgrade the card to a 660 regular/ 660 TI if you don't want to build your own.
    but can I turn that on its side and put it on my entertainment center?

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    but can I turn that on its side and put it on my entertainment center?
    Nope, the xps 8500 is a regular desktop, not a slim design like the Alienware X51. If you must have the slim design then you're stuck with the X51, you can still upgrade the graphics card yourself but it's going to run you extra $200-300 depending on what you choose.