Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tim Duncan is top 5 alltime

Postseason scorer, who would have thought.

Wilt as always MIA

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Tim Duncan is top 5 alltime

the GOAT!

One of the best defenders of all-time

Duncan may not be in the top tier of scorers with Jordan, Kareem, Shaq etc, but he's taken over plenty of Playoff games offensively and if he really cared about his stats (like every other top ten great aside from Russell) he would have easily scored more (instead his sacrificed touches to let his younger teammates develop).

Duncan's legacy keeps climbing. Not because he's winning at such an old age, but because he's still one of the most effective players in the world.

damn where wilt?

Oh, and this pic perfectly represents what I mean when I say Jordan and Duncan are the top two in terms of importance to their franchise.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 04-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Yea, at this point it's pretty much undeniable that he's top 5 all time. At least IMO. I'd rank him over Bird or Magic without hesitating.

I'm really warming up to the idea that he might rate higher than Bird and possibly even Magic. When you look at his body of work, especially his longevity and the fact that his teams competed for championships over his entire career is almost unparalleled. You can argue Magic also competed until he retired but who else? Not MJ. Not Jabbar. Not Wilt. Russell? Yes. But to me, his rings don't carry the same weight as the modern era. Let's face it, will any team ever win 11 rings in 13 seasons in the modern era? Heck, the most consecutive finals appearances a team made in the modern era is 4. Why? Because the level of competition is too strong. At some point, you peak as a team and start to decline and another team is better than you.

Duncan was DOMINANT on both ends. He improved his FT shooting. He really had not weakness outside of raw athleticism.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong...

HINT: The one that hasn't been able to repeat/defend his championships.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Oh, and this pic perfectly represents what I mean when I say Jordan and Duncan are the top two in terms of importance to their franchise.
    So because Jordan and Duncan played for shit franchises that don't have multiple all-time greats that somehow elevates them?

If anything it's more impressive when you're the best All-Time player of a franchise that has 7 Top 15 All-Time players....

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    ]Duncan may not be in the top tier of scorers with Jordan, Kareem, Shaq etc, but he's taken over plenty of Playoff games offensively and if he really cared about his stats (like every other top ten great aside from Russell) he would have easily scored more (instead his sacrificed touches to let his younger teammates develop).

Duncan's legacy keeps climbing. Not because he's winning at such an old age, but because he's still one of the most effective players in the world.
    it would have killed him too much to type # 3's name so he just skipped over him

anyways, if Kobe doesn't get hurt in 2013 he more than likely passes Kareem

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    Yea, at this point it's pretty much undeniable that he's top 5 all time. At least IMO. I'd rank him over Bird or Magic without hesitating.
    Duncan ahead of Magic, Bird?

No way, if you have seen them play. And I am not hating on Duncan, I like the Big Fundamenatal and he deserved a lot of credit for what he did during his career, but it seems that he is very overrated here in ISH and to the expense of guys like Magic and Bird, who were the best in the league in their respective primes.

Just curious are you ranking Duncan ahead of Shaq, Jordan, Kareem ?

And which player you would choose to start a team - Hakeem or Duncan ?

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by julizaver
    Duncan ahead of Magic, Bird?

No way, if you have seen them play. And I am not hating on Duncan, I like the Big Fundamenatal and he deserved a lot of credit for what he did during his career, but it seems that he is very overrated here in ISH and to the expense of guys like Magic and Bird, who were the best in the league in their respective primes.

Just curious are you ranking Duncan ahead of Shaq, Jordan, Kareem ?

And which player you would choose to start a team - Hakeem or Duncan ?
    I don't see how it's such an outrageous claim to make. If anything I'd say that Magic and Bird (primarily Magic) are overrated by too many people. Duncan is a far superior two-way player, possesses superior longevity, and has quite possibly the GOAT intangibles.

He may not be quite the offensive masterminds that Magic and Bird were, but he was still great enough to be the crunch-time scorer for several championship teams.

Also, Duncan's greatest game >>> any game played by Magic or Bird. The man put up a quadruple double in the clinching game of a Finals.

You may disagree that he's greater than Magic or Bird, and that's fine, but acting like it's not even a debate is foolish, because it clearly is.

Playoff Games, PPG:

Kareem: 237, 24.3
    Duncan: 236, 21.3
    Kobe: 220, 25.6
    Shaq: 216, 24.3
    Jordan: 179, 33.4
    ----------------------

Some Others:

Bird: 164, 23.8
    Wilt: 160, 22.5
    West: 153, 29.1
    Hakeem: 145, 25.9
    Dr. J: 141, 21.9 (NBA)
    Baylor: 134, 27.0

Helps to play a lot of playoff games. Look at Hakeem's average, it's higher than Kobe's.
    Last edited by Marchesk; 04-24-2015 at 02:03 PM.

also number 1 in blocks and 3 in rebounds