Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who's the greater Spur, Parker or Robinson?

I could be missing something here, but how is Tim Duncan better than David Robinson?

I forget 99% of ISH didn't see Robinson play.

At a minimum, it's arguable.

1.) Duncan
    2.) Robinson
    3.) Gervin
    4.) Parker

...I'm sorry. there's no way in hell I put Parker over Gervin. Gervin scored 40 or more points 68 times in his career. Scored over 60 once, and scored over 50 three times. His best season was probably 79-80...

33.1 PPG, 53% FG%, 85% FT%, 5.2 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.0 BPG

...sorry. Even with the title and FMVP I don't put Parker above production like that.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I could be missing something here, but how is Tim Duncan better than David Robinson?

I forget 99% of ISH didn't see Robinson play.

At a minimum, it's arguable.
    Duncan is the greatest player at this position...ever. Robinson is not.

Robinson: 2 rings, no FMVPs, 10x all-star, 1x MVP, RotY, DPotY, 4x first team, 4x defense first team
    Duncan: 5 rings, 3x FMVP, 14x all-star, 2x MVP, RotY, 10x first team, 8x defense first team

Edit: In the end I think Robinson had the higher peak as a player, but Duncan has the championships and the longevity.
    Last edited by Meticode; 07-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    1.) Duncan
    2.) Robinson
    3.) Gervin
    4.) Parker

...I'm sorry. there's no way in hell I put Parker over Gervin. Gervin scored 40 or more points 68 times in his career. Scored over 60 once, and scored over 50 three times. His best season was probably 79-80...

33.1 PPG, 53% FG%, 85% FT%, 5.2 RPG, 2.6 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.0 BPG

...sorry. Even with the title and FMVP I don't put Parker above production like that.
    Thats like saying Parker is better than Durant.

hey Jo Jo White or George Gervin?

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Robinson: 2 rings, no FMVPs, 10x all-star, 1x MVP, RotY, DPotY, 4x first team, 4x defense first team
    Duncan: 5 rings, 3x FMVP, 14x all-star, 2x MVP, RotY, 10x first team, 8x defense first team

Edit: In the end I think Robinson had the higher peak as a player, but Duncan has the championships and the longevity.
    If D-Robb was considered a pf he'd have a legit case for best ever. The league was built on the backs of centers: and the center position is and always will be the most competitive in terms of all-time rankings.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    This. Pop credits their success to first drafting DRob and following up with Duncan.
    There's also that factor of luck, too. If he didn't get injured, they wouldn't have been able to get Duncan.

Likewise, if Jordan didn't break his toe in his 2nd season, they wouldn't have been able to draft Horace Grant.

Luck factors in so much in terms for top-10 GOAT careers.

Robinson has a bit more competition at the 5.

Duncan has championships in part because of Robinson, and in part because of Pop and other great players, and in part himself obviously, he was the best player most of the time.

Robinson was playing on completely different teams playing against different teams, you can't compare their team success.

Purely as a player, I take Robinson. Not as refined in the low block, but simply more dominant on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Robinson has a bit more competition at the 5.

Duncan has championships in part because of Robinson, and in part because of Pop and other great players, and in part himself obviously, he was the best player most of the time.

Robinson was playing on completely different teams playing against different teams, you can't compare their team success.

Purely as a player, I take Robinson. Not as refined in the low block, but simply more dominant on both ends.
    Here is prime Robinson in the Playoffs:

90-98: 23/12/3/1/3/.549 TS% over 62 games

Duncan from 99 to 07:

24/13/4/1/3/.560 TS% over 129 games

There's no debate to be had here. Duncan has the better prime, leadership, intangibles, longevity, consistency, ability to increase his play when it mattered, etc etc.

Duncan is top 10 and Robinson is top 30 or top 25 for a reason. Because he was the better player, as Robinson gladly admits.

I find it odd someone would prefer to take a top 20-30 player over a top 10 player, but okay...to each their own.

I find it odd someone would prefer to take a top 20-30 player over a top 10 player, but okay...to each their own.
    Yeah, but this is just a big troll thread.

Robinson has a very thin argument for greatest Spur. But Parker doesn't come close to Duncan.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Yeah, but this is just a big troll thread.

Robinson has a very thin argument for greatest Spur. But Parker doesn't come close to Duncan.
    Robinson has more than just a thin argument. i say he has a legit chance of being considered the greatest Spur depending on who you ask in San Antonio. Robinson was the main reason why the Spurs remained in San Antonio and that alone makes people feel he is the greatest. without David in the early 90s the Spurs could have easily relocated to another city. I personally do not have him above Duncan but to say the argument is very thin i dont agree with.

Greater? Parker.

Better? Robinson by a HUUUGE margin.

Quote Originally Posted by CeilingFan#1
    My opinion:

1. Duncan
    2. Robinson
    3. Parker
    4. Gervin
    5. Manu

No way Gervin is lower than Parker. He's top50 all time for me...Parker not top 100 probably. Imagine prime Gervin on these spurs teams . People forget Gervin was a 30 pt scorer (Yes, in Playoffs too!) for many years with solid stats in other areas. He's literally one of the greatest scorers the league has ever seen. To give a more modern example, his 10th year playing pro, he was still putting up Kevin Durant numbers. How can anyone possibly say Tony has ever been better than that? Lost in all this is Artis Gilmore too (one of the GOAT defensive players). His number's retired for a reason.

Robinson of course

National High School Star

Parker was instrumental in four championships and won 1 Finals MVP. Robinson was instrumental in one championship and role player in another. Robinson is a better individual player, but Parker is a better Spur.