Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
POTTER21
I usually hit open layups

Default International feel in Toronto.

Is it just me or are the Raptors becoming an international team. With the drafting of Bargnani, the trade for Rasho, and the expected signings of Garboja and Slokar. Not to mention Calderon. I am not dissing it, I acually think it is great for the NBA and the city of Toronto. Toronto is one of the best atmospheres for creating an international flavor of basketball. The Raptors are sure to broadcast games in several different countries and languages to show the international stars in the so called best league in the world. The international players play a different type of basketball which could effect the Raptors for the first few seasons until they adapt to the North American style. Or, with the many international players on the Raptors squad, they could change the whole North American style of play and convert it into a combination of international and North American. The Raptors team looks alot different then most NBA teams in the league and other teams might find it challenging to compete with a multicultural style. Any thoughts:confused: :confused:
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Tips4
Made that high school varsity squad

oooooooooooooooook Welcome to 3 months ago my friend. Thanx for telling us what was talked about for the last 3 months or soo almost everyday.
Tips4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Bosh4life
Serious playground baller

Quote:
The Raptors team looks alot different then most NBA teams in the league and other teams might find it challenging to compete with a multicultural style.

Please could you explain that better, what does having to be from a different country then the states or canada have to do with teams not being able to compete with them. Please i really want to know where you were goign with that.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
POTTER21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh4life
Please could you explain that better, what does having to be from a different country then the states or canada have to do with teams not being able to compete with them. Please i really want to know where you were goign with that.

All I'm saying is that international players play a different style of play then what the NBA plays. Look at Bargnani. There are not that many North American players that are 7-1 and can shoot the 3 pointer extremely well. Not to mention penetrate to the basket. What I am saying is most international players that come to the NBA like to shoot from the outside regardless of there size unlike North American players who like to post up if they are tall. This could change the way the NBA game is played.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
POTTER21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tips4
oooooooooooooooook Welcome to 3 months ago my friend. Thanx for telling us what was talked about for the last 3 months or soo almost everyday.

The signings of Garboja and Slokar are not even official yet so how could you be talking about it for the last 3 months. Besides it is an interesting topic to talk about.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTTER21
The signings of Garboja and Slokar are not even official yet so how could you be talking about it for the last 3 months. Besides it is an interesting topic to talk about.

first its Garbajosa, but thats besides the point... what Tips4 is saying is that we have already discussed this topic before... and he/she is exagerrating when (s)he said 3 months, maybe it was like a couple of weeks or so...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
boshraptor4life
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

We need a Canadian now. A Canadian who can play basketball would be perfect for this team, he would be a fan favorite and would put asses in the seats. It's long over due, americans play for american teams, so we should have a Canadian playing the only Canadian team.

Last edited by boshraptor4life : 07-17-2006 at 10:14 PM.
boshraptor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
ice4000
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshraptor4life
We need a Canadian now.

no we dont
ice4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
Bosh4life
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4000
no we dont

Well we may nto need it but it would be nice.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
POTTER21

I think a canadian player would be nice. But I dont think we should just pick up any canadian player. The canadian must be a good enough player to get alot of playing time, it cant just be a bench player. Fans would boo the guy if he doesnt fill expectations and it wouldnt be right for the player. On the other hand, if the Raptors pick up a starting Canadian like a Steve Nash it would be great for the team, country, city, and fans. The arena would be sold out every night. If it were a bench player, family and friends would come to watch a fan favorite sit on the bench. The only question is, what canadian player out there is capable of being a starter and can be a Raptor realistically??
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
DoubleTech
College star

calderon
parker (american, yes...but, 6 years in europe)
garbajosa (he's a PF... i know)
bargnani
nesterovic

international flavour indeed...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Czar
Learning to shoot layups

You guys need a good dunker to put your team on the map. James White would have been perfect for this team. You team would get more press after the slam dunk contest.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: