Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-25-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Chrispbosh4
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Who Wants Roko?

the question is very clear, this is a guy who draws no nba comparisons due to his spuratic game play, he lacked play time at TAU this season but when he did play he showed signs of greatness. now the question is , why are the raptors not trying to buy him out of his contract and instead thinking of bringing in Slokar?? i mean we have so many PF's we dont know what to do with them, bring in a new, young talent. Slokar has had years to improve and still shows lil skill set, i don't want to knock the guy but....

ROKO WILL HAVE A BETTER CAREER for the boys in red
Chrispbosh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbosh4
the question is very clear, this is a guy who draws no nba comparisons due to his spuratic game play, he lacked play time at TAU this season but when he did play he showed signs of greatness. now the question is , why are the raptors not trying to buy him out of his contract and instead thinking of bringing in Slokar?? i mean we have so many PF's we dont know what to do with them, bring in a new, young talent. Slokar has had years to improve and still shows lil skill set, i don't want to knock the guy but....

ROKO WILL HAVE A BETTER CAREER for the boys in red

First of all Ukic said in a recent interview (see Chuck Swirsky blog http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/swirsky) that he wants to play and not sit on the bench in the NBA. So he does not really want to be here right now or maybe never.

Secondly the Raptors are signing Fred Jones who can act as a back up PG.

Thirdly, for Ukic it would not make sense for him financially. He would have to buy out his contract up to a certain pint I believe.

Slokar is young (23). What do you mean he has had years to improve? The Raptors only drafted him a year ago.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Slokar is coming over because we need some insurance at center.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
RapsFan
Good college starter

Roko could only come over as a backup PG...that would be our only reason to add yet another european NBA rookie. The thought of Fred Jones playing any mins at PG are frightening.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Roko could only come over as a backup PG...that would be our only reason to add yet another european NBA rookie. The thought of Fred Jones playing any mins at PG are frightening.

If either Ford or Calderon get injured don't be surprised if they sign a 3rd string PG. In fact they may do that before the season starts anyways.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Jalen5
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
If either Ford or Calderon get injured don't be surprised if they sign a 3rd string PG. In fact they may do that before the season starts anyways.

Fred jones can play the point very well as he did when he was with the pacers, as starting pg with pacers, only 3 games but those 3 games were combined 30+ assist 50+ pts
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
boshraptor4life
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
Fred jones can play the point very well as he did when he was with the pacers, as starting pg with pacers, only 3 games but those 3 games were combined 30+ assist 50+ pts
And if anything really happened to Ford and Calderon, or they both couldn't play for a bit, then they would have Parker doing the ball handling on offence, with Jones guarding the opposing pg:

C: Rasho
PF: Bosh
SF: Peterson
SG: Jones
PG: Parker
boshraptor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

If anything happends to Jose and TJ we should sign Jay.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
RapsFan
Good college starter

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something...but Jones never even had more then 7 dimes in a game all year...let alone 30+ in 3 games. He had 6 two other times...that's it. Where are these numbers coming from because from what I can see, they aren't coming from Fred Jones....last year anyway. He also only started 2 games for Indy last year.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
albertpujols

Quote:

That must be a typo. Either that or your thinking of another Jones. His career high in assists is 8. He can't play point guard to whoever said that. He can play guard, just not point guard.
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Jalen5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
If anything happends to Jose and TJ we should sign Jay.

If u mean Jay williams, he will probably be signed by some team after trainning camp. I think were talking about during the season if Jose and TJ goes down.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
Jalen5

2 games, i was close enough, i don't follow pacer ball much and i didn't really go and look stats but I did watch 1 of the games he started as a pg and he played well enough from where i see it, i mean we are talking about the big "IF" TJ and Jose goes down.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
nerdsunite
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Jay Williams hey, no thanks. What ive read is that since the accident he has lost his pace. That is a career ender for a player like him who's entire game was built around speed. Sad story really, the kid looked great that first year with the bulls. If he signs, i hope its not with the raptors
nerdsunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Chrispbosh4

Quote:
First of all Ukic said in a recent interview (see Chuck Swirsky blog http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/swirsky) that he wants to play and not sit on the bench in the NBA. So he does not really want to be here right now or maybe never.

Secondly the Raptors are signing Fred Jones who can act as a back up PG.

Thirdly, for Ukic it would not make sense for him financially. He would have to buy out his contract up to a certain pint I believe.

Slokar is young (23). What do you mean he has had years to improve? The Raptors only drafted him a year ago.

slokar has been playing pro ball for 4-5 years now at a high level in europe, he hasnt improved, they had always talked about him being great, i just dont see him being that good in the NBA.

hes to weak and non gritty to be a center, his game may be to smooth for the likes of shaq or anyone else in that position

lastly real basketball players that have a dream to play NBa ball shouldnt care if there a back up or not, if they show there talent they'll get paid big time by somebody.

P.p.s. Roko didnt even start this year at TAU and may not start as he signs a new contract with Maccabi.

Last edited by Chrispbosh4 : 07-25-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #15
Chrispbosh4

Quote:

Mitchell is in love with Darrick Martin
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: