Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The NHL and why it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
    Your such a bad troll. Not even smart enough to craft an agenda, atleast some of the others can actually drum up something to push.

People from America care. It's why some NHL teams sell out more games than NBA teams

Like any of this really matters tho.
    LOL Canadians. Why do you have to try to convince yourselves that Americans care about Hockey? It's a niche sport with probably the same amount of American fans as Aussie Rules Football has.

You have to be rich as hell to play it and it is boring to watch.

OP you didn't even need to list the reasons why NHL sucks, all you really had to say was "It's ice hockey, nuff said."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Hockey is a f*cking rich kid sport that only like 5% of the population can afford to play.

Stick, pads, skates, uniform, ice time, jesus christ you might as well have to be Donald trump to afford to get your kid the training he needs to reach the top, let alone play it casually.

Can't believe Canadians think Americans actually care about this sport. Stop projecting yourselves on to us, Canada!

Michican, Vermon and Minnesota, these are the only parts of America that care about hockey half as much as you do.
    Vermon!

Look at the list of countries that NBA players currently come from:
    Argentina
    Australia
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Brazil
    Cameroon
    Canada
    South Africa
    Czech Republic
    Democratic Republic of the Congo
    Dominican Republic
    France
    Belgium
    French Guiana
    Martinique
    Georgia
    Germany
    Great Britain
    Iran
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Mexico
    Montenegro
    Nigeria
    Poland
    Puerto Rico
    Russia
    Senegal
    Serbia
    New Zealand
    Montenegro
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tanzania
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    U.S Virgin Islands
    Venezuela

It's a global game. A lot of nations are still developing high level basketball programs, but they are catching up quickly. Basketball participation is growing in Canada, Australia, Great Britain and New Zealand - once participation grows, the number of high level competitors increases, and eventually they become coaches creating more high level players. Wait until Africa becomes more developed. Then we'll be talking about a hug influx of foreign talent.

The NBA is hugely popular in China, Africa (behind soccer), and is starting to grow in India. Hockey can never reach those markets and will never have talent from those areas.

In 50 years time, the NBA will be closer to a 50/50 split in terms of US & Canadian born to foreign players.

This year out of 300 NBA players, 92 are foreign. Guess what? There are more players waiting in Europe who are better than replacement level right now. The quality of talent there is better than the non-NBA league talent in the US. The players don't come over so they can be stars in their own countries and make more money - Rudy Fernandez being a prime example.

If money, fame and location were not a problem, you could switch all of the Eric Maynor's of the league with all of the Bo McCaleb's and guys like Vassilis Spanoulis' - the NBA would be probably over 50% foreign.

IN YOUR FACE.

MOre talented basketball players worldwide

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    Vermon!

Look at the list of countries that NBA players currently come from:
    Argentina
    Australia
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Brazil
    Cameroon
    Canada
    South Africa
    Czech Republic
    Democratic Republic of the Congo
    Dominican Republic
    France
    Belgium
    French Guiana
    Martinique
    Georgia
    Germany
    Great Britain
    Iran
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Mexico
    Montenegro
    Nigeria
    Poland
    Puerto Rico
    Russia
    Senegal
    Serbia
    New Zealand
    Montenegro
    Slovenia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tanzania
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    U.S Virgin Islands
    Venezuela

It's a global game. A lot of nations are still developing high level basketball programs, but they are catching up quickly. Basketball participation is growing in Canada, Australia, Great Britain and New Zealand - once participation grows, the number of high level competitors increases, and eventually they become coaches creating more high level players. Wait until Africa becomes more developed. Then we'll be talking about a hug influx of foreign talent.

The NBA is hugely popular in China, Africa (behind soccer), and is starting to grow in India. Hockey can never reach those markets and will never have talent from those areas.

In 50 years time, the NBA will be closer to a 50/50 split in terms of US & Canadian born to foreign players.

This year out of 300 NBA players, 92 are foreign. Guess what? There are more players waiting in Europe who are better than replacement level right now. The quality of talent there is better than the non-NBA league talent in the US. The players don't come over so they can be stars in their own countries and make more money - Rudy Fernandez being a prime example.

If money, fame and location were not a problem, you could switch all of the Eric Maynor's of the league with all of the Bo McCaleb's and guys like Vassilis Spanoulis' - the NBA would be probably over 50% foreign.

IN YOUR FACE.

MOre talented basketball players worldwide
    Thanks for helping to validate my point

Hockey-no one plays it or cares

Basketball-the whole world plays it and loves it

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

LOL Canadians. Why do you have to try to convince yourselves that Americans care about Hockey? It's a niche sport with probably the same amount of American fans as Aussie Rules Football has.

You have to be rich as hell to play it and it is boring to watch.

OP you didn't even need to list the reasons why NHL sucks, all you really had to say was "It's ice hockey, nuff said."
    Like I said your a bad troll. You completely ignored the attendance, what I've said about the amount of international players in the NHL vs the NBA. Those are facts, not opinions.

Doesn't much matter, atleast the other dude put together an agenda. You just say outlandish shit to get attention which posts like this give you.

Banned

Like I said your a bad troll. You completely ignored the attendance, what I've said about the amount of international players in the NHL vs the NBA. Those are facts, not opinions.

Doesn't much matter, atleast the other dude put together an agenda. You just say outlandish shit to get attention which posts like this give you.
    Bruh. Get it through your head. The sport you're country is obsessed with is a niche sport in the US that no one gives a shit about. Congratulations you guys are so good at extreme curling, but there's no reason to try to pretend Americans care.

Bruh. Get it through your head. The sport you're country is obsessed with is a niche sport in the US that no one gives a shit about. Congratulations you guys are so good at extreme curling, but there's no reason to try to pretend Americans care.
    I love basketball, the NFL etc. and would argue with NHL fans if the situation was reversed.

Why would a niche sport have better attendance in some areas? Why if only Canada cares would places like Sweden, Russia, Finland have professional leagues? How does a guy from Austria wind up in the NHL if nobody cares about it.

I'm not saying it's more popular than basketball. Just that it's pretty popular internationally and people in the US clearly enjoy it.

Learn how to troll "bruh" and continue to dance around the things I'm saying

Banned

I love basketball, the NFL etc. and would argue with NHL fans if the situation was reversed.

Why would a niche sport have better attendance in some areas? Why if only Canada cares would places like Sweden, Russia, Finland have professional leagues? How does a guy from Austria wind up in the NHL if nobody cares about it.

I'm not saying it's more popular than basketball. Just that it's pretty popular internationally and people in the US clearly enjoy it.

Learn how to troll "bruh" and continue to dance around the things I'm saying
    Bruh no one likes hockey, deal with it and move on.

Nothing to deal with. I don't like/dislike something based on what other people enjoy. NBA is probably always my #1 with a gun to my head but for the most part enjoy sports/leagues for the different aspects they bring to the table.

Great response tho. You should take some lessons from D-Fen. Scary how bad you are at trolling

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

NHL is on the rise, especially with how soft the NBA/NFL is becoming

NBA lottery pick

Rather then being a rich kid sport, I'd say it's more of a rural sport. Just about every small town in Canada has a hockey and/or curling rink, and I don't know that I would define any of the places I've been to as rich communities.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

The thing NHL has going for it.
    #1 its still a contact sport unlike every other major sport
    #2 there is barely any stoppage in play basketball (free throws every ****ing possession), football (have to move, place, measure the ball every ****ing play), baseball (boring as ****)

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

I would go as far as to say that your *implied* complete paucity of knowledge of hockey somewhat helps fuel your disdain for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Rather then being a rich kid sport, I'd say it's more of a rural sport. Just about every small town in Canada has a hockey and/or curling rink, and I don't know that I would define any of the places I've been to as rich communities.
    pads, skates, stick, nets, how do you afford these things if you aren't a moneybags?

Why would a niche sport have better attendance in some areas?
    In New York alone you have the following basketball options:
    Brooklyn Nets
    New York Knicks
    Fordham
    Manhattan
    St Johns

Ice Hockey:
    Rangers

You also have to take into account the quality of product. The Pistons stink right now, and ticket prices are reflective of this. The Red Wings are 5th in the East right now, and are constantly a good product. There will always be bandwagon fans. It's more informative to see attendance levels when times are tough.

I'm actually surprised at how popular it is here where I live in the Tampa/St. Pete area. I've gone to a handful of Lightning games, and the fans are really into it. Granted, half the crowd consists of Canadian snowbirds and people from northern states. I don't mind it, though I'll never be a fan like I am with the other sports.