Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yao Ming retires from the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    Seemed stiff and slow to me. He was tall so he could block shots and against other big stiffs he was heLL defensively. Agaisnt mobile centers, he was lost. People used to criticize Shaq for not showing on the p/r, Yao majored in dropping off on the p/r.
    Well Dwight would have to disagree, Yao Ming has destroyed him every time they've played.

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R.I.P.
    The only guys that turned out to be a better all around package are Amare and Boozer, who went 9th and 35th.
    I was only going for Amare -- but thanks for the support RIP. Glad to have you on my side in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by gyu
    Well Dwight would have to disagree, Yao Ming has destroyed him every time they've played.
    Can you find a smaller sample to base your opinion on?

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

To sum, they are not helping their team to the level their salary or draft place deserves....which is what a bust is.
    Well no again he did play at a #1 pick level. That is unquestionable.

As far as value sure it's a large contract but it's money they prob got back with the increased exposure and fan base.

SO as far as a value bust... again he's not.

Can you find a smaller sample to base your opinion on?
    Can you provide any sample? Dwight, arguably the best center at the time just happens to have a bad game every time he plays Yao on both ends of the floor?

NBA lottery pick

I`m an idiot, who takes posts out of context
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    As far as value sure it's a large contract but it's money they prob got back with the increased exposure and fan base.
    I talk contributions on the court v. investment made by Hou. You talk fan-base. Can we limit the Yao discussion to his actual play and not the number of fans he had in China.

Because i'll concede, Yao had alot of fans based on his nation of origin. I'll also argue that doesn't make him better at basketball.

I do like your argument that "he did play at a #1 pick level. That is unquestionable. " Its funny because according to RIP, in his draft he played at a #3 level.

Moreover, he missed HUGE portions of half the seasons he played. That is the exact opposite of playing at a high level.

And don't we say things on this site like "He played with another All-Star, he could've at least made it to..." or do we only make that argument when we are criticizing T-Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by R.I.P.
    I agree.
    I appreciate your misquoting me RIP, but please put your quote in context, so I can understand it better.

Can you provide any sample? Dwight, arguably the best center at the time just happens to have a bad game every time he plays Yao on both ends of the floor?
    How many times they play each other? 6? Maybe. Glen Rice was the best player in the league for 6 games out of his life. I don't use it in arguments now.

His match up with Duncan, holds Duncan well below his usual shooting % at 43.5%. If you looked at Yao's numbers after 2003, he consistently played Duncan well.

Against Duncan:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=duncati01

Against Amar'e:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=mingya01
    Also holds Amar'e below his averages, especially his fg% where he was shooting at a very high clip in Phoenix.

And of course here is his match up with Dwight (played 9 times) where Dwight gets dominated the most of the 3 big men and it's not even close:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=howardw01

Holding Dwight to 12 ppg on 44% shooting and 10 rebounds. Rockets win 7 of the 9, while Yao averages 24 (54% shooting) 10
    Last edited by gyu; 07-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.

His match up with Duncan, holds Duncan well below his usual shooting % at 43.5%. If you looked at Yao's numbers after 2003, he consistently played Duncan well.

Against Duncan:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=duncati01.
    He matched up v. Duncan...seems more likely that he'd match with Rasho or whatever other stiff Duncan played next to during any given season.

Against Amar'e:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...01&p2=mingya01
    Also holds Amar'e below his averages, especially his fg% where he was shooting at a very high clip in Phoenix.
    Wow - they played each other to a virtual draw. Amare must've been some monster defender to shut down a guy a foot taller than him like that.

He matched up v. Duncan...seems more likely that he'd match with Rasho or whatever other stiff Duncan played next to during any given season.

Wow - they played each other to a virtual draw. Amare must've been some monster defender to shut down a guy a foot taller than him like that.
    can you provide ANYTHING to support your arguments? You've been ignoring my request to see samples of your own. I'm not even gonna reply to you anymore if you can't support your arguments.
    Also, what's the reason Houston was a top 5 defensive team a few years ago? Don't tell me Battier, because the last couple seasons we had him and we've been a terrible defensive team.

Amar'e averaged mid 50s for fg% in Phoenix, and Yao held him to 10+% below his average, I would say that is very good.

I dont believe this is it for Yao, I think he wants to see how his foot has healed by mid-season before he gives it 1 more shot.

Every NBA player who retired due to injury attempted 1 more comeback.

And of course here is his match up with Dwight (played 9 times) where Dwight gets dominated the most of the 3 big men and it's not even close:

Holding Dwight to 12 ppg on 44% shooting and 10 rebounds. Rockets win 7 of the 9, while Yao averages 24 (54% shooting) 10
    Yao had Dwight's number.

Is the point that Yao is a better ball player than Dwight? I doubt you even beleive that? Is the point that Yao was a dominating ball player at times? -- I beleive that.

Doesn't mean the dude did not live up to his billing, contract, or expectations.

Yao had Dwight's number.

Is the point that Yao is a better ball player than Dwight? I doubt you even beleive that? Is the point that Yao was a dominating ball player at times? -- I beleive that.

Doesn't mean the dude did not live up to his billing, contract, or expectations.
    You are missing my argument, you claim Yao is a bad defender and can't defend, I claim the opposite. You specifically stated he does bad against mobile big men, and who is more mobile than Dwight?