Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Got caught plagiarizing

I'm in college and I got caught plagiarizing from wikipedia on a small assignment in one of my classes. I have to meet with the teacher. My plan is to say that I accidentally submitted an unfinished copy of my paper (it was submitted online) and that I had proper citations and quotes on my final copy. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Got caught plagiarizing

Depending on the subject of the paper the best thing to do would be to own up to it.

Doing my field work with high school students I've already heard lame and crazy excuses for cheating after a month. Can't imagine how insulting it is for a vet professor.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

I wouldn't have made it through college without wikipedia

Never admit it. Most professor will look for any excuse to let you go. Even if they know you do it on purpose, they wouldn't want you to get into serious trouble just for plagiarizing. If you admit it, then their hands are tied and they have to report you.

It was a small paper on RTI (response to intervention), so its not like it was some long essay where my personal opinion was being asked. We just had to research the topic.

How big was the body of text that was plagiarized?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

Although Japan was already at war with China in 1937,[2] the world war is generally said to have begun on 1 September 1939, with the invasion of Poland by Germany, and subsequent declarations of war on Germany by France and most of the countries of the British Empire and Commonwealth. Germany set out to establish a large empire in Europe. From late 1939 to early 1941, in a series of campaigns and treaties, Germany conquered or subdued much of continental Europe; amid Nazi-Soviet agreements, the nominally neutral Soviet Union fully or partially occupied and annexed territories of its six European neighbours, including Poland. Britain and the Commonwealth remained the only major force continuing the fight against the Axis, with battles taking place in North Africa as well as the long-running Battle of the Atlantic. In June 1941, the European Axis launched an invasion of the Soviet Union, giving a start to the largest land theatre of war in history, which, tied down the major part of the Axis' military forces. In December 1941, Japan, which aimed to dominate Asia, attacked the United States and European possessions in the Pacific Ocean, quickly conquering much of the region.

Something the size of that?

I took the definition of RTI, and some other aspects of the program directly from wiki. I thought to myself while doing this that I should cite, but I was lazy and didn't feel like it. So I feel that is is a plausible excuse to say I gathered information, and cited everything at the end.

Plagiarizing Wikipedia?

What is this? I don't even..

Say that you were the person who contributed the info to wikipedia so technically you were only plagiarizing yourself.

You could be in doo-doo. You better write a better "final" version if you stick to your original story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Say that you were the person who contributed the info to wikipedia so technically you were only plagiarizing yourself.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

Cmon amateur Learn how to plagiarize correctly. That's why you right click and use the thesaurus to change some words. Problem solved.

Yea that would work......if your professor is 5 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Never admit it. Most professor will look for any excuse to let you go. Even if they know you do it on purpose, they wouldn't want you to get into serious trouble just for plagiarizing. If you admit it, then their hands are tied and they have to report you.
    They normally bring administration involved when you are flat out lying and make it and you against them issue thus tying their hands.

You admit it take the f and move on. It was handled with the professor and is now done with. Depends on the school and professor with all other school related questions though.

Yeah, I would do anything and everything to avoid escalating it to administration which could be cut and dry; you're expelled.