Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Which Players Have Gotten the Most Overrated Since Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    No he wasn't later in his career. Starting from 1984ish he started to make those shots. He picked his spots very well and knocks them down more often than not. Many teams make the mistake of leaving him open and he made them pay back then. In the late 80s, he was hitting 3s efficiently. 38%

Magic was ok defensively. He was a better help defender, same as Bird. They both were pretty good help defenders because of their height and length.

Can you imagine him guarding the PGs of this era? He'd be a liability, they're just too fast and dangerous. He wouldn't be able to play as a pure PG in this era, he'd have to play as a forward defensively.

Which isn't that big of a deal assuming they had the personal, Lebron generally guards Forwards and SGs, but he is capable of defending the smaller guys at a near elite level. Anyway, I do think it says something about how Magic is a bit overrated.
    Last edited by comerb; 03-23-2013 at 06:35 PM.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I should be green by the playoffs

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Reggie Miller.

Jordan (We have people predicting he would average 40 ppg today and that he is the best player ever in every single category of basketball).

Penny Hardaway is the most overrated by miles since he retired though.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 03-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    He is a very good candidate, but overrating him started while he still played. It started at around 1996-1997. He is constantly overrated since then. I'm not saying he wasn't the best player of all time, but people are pretending as if he is in a league of his own which is untrue.

72-10 is a league of it's own idiot.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comerb
    Can you imagine him guarding the PGs of this era? He'd be a liability, they're just too fast and dangerous. He wouldn't be able to play as a pure PG in this era, he'd have to play as a forward defensively.

Which isn't that big of a deal assuming they had the personal, Lebron generally guards Forwards and SGs, but he is capable of defending the smaller guys at a near elite level. Anyway, I do think it says something about how Magic is a bit overrated.
    He did that in the 80s. He never guarded PGs back then. You never see him guard John Stockton or Isiah Thomas in the 80s. That was Byron Scott's job. He was a good help defender because of his size and good at reading the passing lane.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Reggie Miller.

Jordan (We have people predicting he would average 40 ppg today and that he is the best player ever in every single category of basketball).

Penny Hardaway is the most overrated by miles since he retired though.
    JORDAN WOULD AVG 40 PPG AGAINST THIS SOFT & WEAK ERA,U MAD

JORDAN WILL AVG 20FTA WITH TODAY RULES

Conversely, there are players I thought would get a well deserved post-retirement bump, but haven't for some reason.
    Shaq, to start with... I believed that due to his status as the most dominant player in his era, the stories from those who watched him play at the time would elevate him to the top 5. I think Kobe's success has prevented that somewhat.
    Webber and Stojakovic as well. They're hardly ever mentioned nowadays, but they were both really, really good.
    And then there's David Robinson, but I'm seeing more and more people say he was underrated so the story's starting to change.

As for players who are likely to get a good post-retirement bump, I would nominate Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce. Classic examples of "unsexy" players but whose career actually look great on paper AND who happened to be around for plenty of historic moments. They won't necessarily be too high on people's GOAT lists, which don't really matter anyway, but they'll be remembered. I can also see a legend developing around Rajon Rodo as a bigtime playoff performer and Metta World Peace as the most memorable "character" from his era.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 03-24-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    He is defensively, but he was a pretty average offensive player.
    How can Pippen be overrated when people say things like this? This is just as bad as saying Pippen=LeBron.

College star

Easy and the only correct answer: Magic Johnson.
    /thread

Jalen Rose

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    The Magic/Bird thing is really weird.

When they were playing it was pretty universally agreed that Bird was the best player in the NBA. After they retired, now you pretty much NEVER see Bird ranked ahead of magic.
    because only idiots think that statpadders are more impactful than pure pgs or pure scorers. Its the same idiots who ranks oscar as top 10 all time.

3-time NBA All-Star

oscar obviously. The guy is considered top 10 without a ring. LOL

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    oscar obviously. The guy is considered top 10 without a ring. LOL
    The Big O won a championship.

Local High School Star

I don't understand why some people said that Magic was the most overrated. Obviously they did not see him play. He was such an unique player. The most overrated player should be Bill Walton. And it is only because of injuries. He had great college career, had all the talent, but in his NBA career he was injured half his career and had only 2 or 3 good seasons (and they were also cut by injuries). I like him and his unselfish style of play anyway.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    The Big O won a championship.
    not as the man