Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Default For a Star Wars newbie, start with Phantom Menace or A New Hope?

So I've never really watched it properly. Watched the original ones when i was 8 or 10 and the Phantom Menace when I was 13.

Just bought the box set I want to see all of them properly now.

Question - Is it better to start with Phantom Menace or A New Hope?

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Default Re: For a Star Wars newbie, start with Phantom Menace or A New Hope?

Definitely do New Hope first. Not even a close question. 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. in that order.

Banned

I just watched revenge of the sith again and realized how horrible it was then I saw empire strikes back and remembered how awesome the original trilogy is.

Watch 4 5 6 and then throw 1 2 3 in the trash compactor

i admit attack of the clones and revenge of the sith were shitty in comparison to 4 5 and 6, but am i the only one who thought episode 1 was legit?

Don't start at all. They were all horrible.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

Arrow Re: For a Star Wars newbie, start with Phantom Menace or A New Hope?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Definitely.

But I'll do you one better, don't even watch the new ones. The new ones ruin the franchise just like they ruined Indiana Jones with the 4th one.

I'm not 100% on board with this. Episode 1 and 2 in particular are pretty f*cking bad but you just can't let them spoil the series for you. They're sort of fun, it's like your dumb uncle tried to finish your dead grandpa's great novel. They're painfully corny and heartless but cool visually and not as abrasive as all that if you just take them for what they are.

prof murder (and anyone else who hates Phantom Menace)-

somebody on ISH posted this a while ago, I can't believe how funny/good/thorough it is:

Phantom Menace Review
    part 1
    part 2
    part 3
    part 4
    part 5
    part 6
    part 7

for the record I thought episode 3 was the "best" of the new ones
    Last edited by Lamar Doom; 06-01-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    i admit attack of the clones and revenge of the sith were shitty in comparison to 4 5 and 6, but am i the only one who thought episode 1 was legit?
    Episode 1 is definately the best of the new ones, but has a bad rep because of Jar Jar and the shitty kid actor.

The movie is actually pretty good and has a cool plot, awesome bad guy and fight scenes, but having watched it yesterday Jar Jar Binks and Boss Nass and Jake Lloyd really singlehandedly tarnish what in my opinion could have been a classic comparable to the originals.

Oh yes the whole medichlorian count was retarded too, too much like Frieza and his power level reader in DBZ

Quote Originally Posted by lilkobe
    Episode 1 is definately the best of the new ones, but has a bad rep because of Jar Jar and the shitty kid actor.

The movie is actually pretty good and has a cool plot, awesome bad guy and fight scenes, but having watched it yesterday Jar Jar Binks and Boss Nass and Jake Lloyd really singlehandedly tarnish what in my opinion could have been a classic comparable to the originals.

Oh yes the whole medichlorian count was retarded too, too much like Frieza and his power level reader in DBZ
    yeah jar jar was ****ing stupid, but i didn't really mind the kid actor. i guess i just have a fetish for qui-gon. growing up i read that one jedi apprentice series or whatever about qui-gon and obi-wan and he was my favorite character.

also, that scene where anakin gets into that starfighter and somehow accidentally destroys the entire enemy fleet was so stupid. i guess that ending fight with darth maul made up for it though.

Can someone explain to me why the first three sucked where as 4,5,6 are all awesome? I thought they were all terrible.

What made the first three suck so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Can someone explain to me why the first three sucked where as 4,5,6 are all awesome? I thought they were all terrible.

What made the first three suck so bad?

For me personally the cast had a big part in it. Hayden Christensen is a terrible terrible actor, and him and his co-star playing Padme, had absolutely ZERO on screen chemistry. If their "love" was enough to drive Anakin Skywalker to the darkside, the it sure as hell didnt translate well from them trying to portray various emotions on screen.

Cardboard cutout personalities, zero charisma....weak plot points at certain times during the first three kind of killed it, but the acting and the characters werent as likeable and charming as the original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    For me personally the cast had a big part in it. Hayden Christensen is a terrible terrible actor, and him and his co-star playing Padme, had absolutely ZERO on screen chemistry. If their "love" was enough to drive Anakin Skywalker to the darkside, the it sure as hell didnt translate well from them trying to portray various emotions on screen.

Cardboard cutout personalities, zero charisma....weak plot points at certain times during the first three kind of killed it, but the acting and the characters werent as likeable and charming as the original trilogy.
    The originals just had way better casting, scripts, and plot. The prequels were paper thin and seemed like a bunch of "filler" for all the questions raised from the first 3. How did Vader become vader? What is the force? How exactly did Palpatine rise to power? How did the Jedi purge begin? How did the empire become what it became? Filler, filler, and more filler wrapped in CGI coating. The best parts of those films were the lightsaber fights.

The only reason to watch Episode 1 is this scene (spoiler):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLXw...eature=related

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6IAoPAjzpw

It has nothing to do with the movies, but is ****ing incredible regardless. If they made a movie just out of that I'd be in line to see it on opening night.
    that trailer alone is better then the best scenes of episode 1 2 and 3 put together.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror

In his old age Lucas has valued CG and Special Effects over actual plot and character development. The first two prequels felt like a half assed powerpoint project that was written in 20 minutes but then used all different transitions and effects to jazz it up. The acting was bad but it was more about the overall storyline. Just horrible, horrible writing. The movies felt like a vehicle to show off Lucasfilm's new technology. His heart just weren't in them.

Whale Wars > Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6IAoPAjzpw

It has nothing to do with the movies, but is ****ing incredible regardless. If they made a movie just out of that I'd be in line to see it on opening night.
    What game is that? Is it out yet?