Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: What does the OTC think about the trade?

So here's what I said in the NBA forum, but this is actually a better place for it, because there's already a dozen threads on the topic in there so what few good takes there are out there are spread thin anyway.

Quote:
I certainly won't sit here and say they got worse. I was a proponent of their resigning Hedo when he left. But part of that was the value of Hedo and Shard playing together. I like JRich with them better than VC for sure. And I'd say Gil gives them depth. I wouldn't start him over Nelson, but he can spell at either guard spot, and gives the bench some much needed scoring punch.

But boy are they thin up front now. I'm sure they would've loved to figure out some way to do this without giving up Gortat, but I know they just wanted to shake things up. Losing Gortat up front may not seem like much, but they have absolutely no depth up front now. They may be better equipped to play Miami now, but they're worse off against a big team like Boston or LA. If Dwight gets in foul trouble, they simply don't have the personal to do what's required on the floor for long stretches of time.

Maybe they can build another package around shooters like Redick in an effort to get some frontcourt depth. It doesn't have to be anyone of real consequence. Something like how the Heat stumbled on Dampier would be crucial for this team.

From the other teams perspectives. This is pretty much a salary dump for Phx. Carter's expirer for four years of Hedo. It probably sets them up to finally move Nash. They did get some good depth players out of it. Gortat and Pietrus are guys who can play in any rotation in the league. They're not going to save a franchise, but they belong. Sarver should be forced to sell.

Washington. It's sort of a lateral move. They shave a year of debt off in the swap of Gils contract for Shards. And it's probably a more comfortable fit for Wall. Plus they get their hands off Gil for whatever other reasons they may wanted him gone. I think they probably coulda gotten more as the season wore on.

Certainly from a personal standpoint, this was a win for Orlando. But I don't think it's the cure all they've been looking for. And adding Gil and Hedo to the books basically means this is their team for a while. They don't have a ton of flexibility anymore in the payroll, so I hope they're happy with it. I've always though Hedo was a good fit with Dwight because Dwight covers some of Hedo's weaknesses. And Hedo's playmaking helps create for Dwight.
I would really be inclined to start JRich and play Arenas off the bench for punch.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

its all about john wall baby
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Brujesino
Stephen Kerry

One thing is for sure Orlando's offense is going to get better making the Heat vs Magic a fun series to watch if they both play in the playoffs.

Damn Gilbert and J-Rich together again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sKR... EA22&index=5
Brujesino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
Bosnian Sajo
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujesino
One thing is for sure Orlando's offense is going to get better making the Heat vs Magic a fun series to watch if they both play in the playoffs.

Damn Gilbert and J-Rich together again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84sKR... EA22&index=5

How funny is it that they are playing Orlando in the clip you just posted?
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
Rizko
EroticVanilla

This trade leaves Nelson as the odd man out. I personally don't like a Nelson/Arenas backcourt pairing and I don't see either one of them taking a bench role.

Maybe they could do something like Nelson for Joel Przybilla (not sure if he's still out or how long he'll be out for). It helps fill the void that trading Gortat left behind and gives them a firm rotation of:

PG- Arenas/Duhon/JWill
SG- J. Richardson/Redick
SF- Hedo/Q. Richardson
PF- Bass/Anderson/Clark
C- Howard/Przybilla
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
TennesseeFan
Banned

Orlando GM is a genius

Vince Carter is sentenced to die pretty much

Same thing with Lewis^
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
CMsam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizko
This trade leaves Nelson as the odd man out.

I don't think so. I see Arenas as the backup combo guard coming off the bench.
CMsam is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: