Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How about Dallas?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    I can't imagine the Spurs continuing to defend Dirk and the Mavs the same way. It's been a horrible strategy of "hope they miss wide open jumpers" on the guards and it hasn't worked at all outside the last 6 minutes of game 1.

If they continue to guard the pick and roll like that...Dirk will not be able to have a big series. It's going to be more of 12 to 13 shots or so unless it becomes a blowout and loose game like it was in game 2.

As a Mavs fan...I'm hoping they don't change. Just think it's a terrible strategy. They actually have 4 guys that can defend Dirk at times. 2 that defend him really well in Diaw and Splitter.

I think Pop has been too afraid of Dirk and not respectful enough of Ellis/Calderon/Harris in the series so far.

As for Dirk looking tired. Of course he is...he's playing 39 mpg (most on the team) and his time on the floor consists of Splitter playing him very physically all over the court and in the post, him setting like 5 screens a possession, and then having to defend the pick and roll and recover weak side to help rebound after that. He's working his ass off defensively...sometimes with good results...sometimes with poor results.

But I must say...it's funny that I've heard people claim Dirk is hurting us on defense. Just no...he's out there busting his ass constantly and we've defended the Spurs very well so far...and again...he's playing the most minutes on the team...for a reason. And that reason is simple...we are better with him, considerably better, on the floor.

We are outscoring the Spurs by 7.8 points per 100 when Dirk is out there...and getting outscored by .3 points when he's off. And it's due to defense....as our offense has been great without Dirk...probably due to Duncan/Splitter usually going out when Dirk leaves the court.

We'll see what happens tonight...
    ja, splitter is such a good matchup against dirk. there aren't many good defenders out there able to defend dirk that way. drk is deadly from midrange, but that they even defending him so tough at the 3point line wasn't expected. i mean he shot 2 3point atempt the whole seriens, but shot 4 a game in the regular season. especially the fast break 3 pointer, where dirk was ****ing deadly is defended ver well. splitter is waiting only for dirk at the middle of the court for preventing him to take the 3.
    Last edited by pastis; 04-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Very good NBA starter

best moments for me in 2011, outside of seeing Kidd and Dirk get a ring, was watching Marion and Stevenson punk the best player in the game

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    ja, splitter is such a good matchup against dirk. there aren't many good defenders out there able to defend dirk that way. drk is deadly from midrange, but that they even defending him so tough at the 3point line wasn't expected. i mean he shot 2 3point atempt the whole seriens, but shot 4 a game in the regular season. especially the fast break 3 pointer, where dirk was ****ing deadly is defended ver well. splitter is waiting for only for dirk at the middle of the court for preventing him to take the 3.
    yes, but that is my point. the Spurs are giving up wide open 17 footers to our guards in order to prevent those threes from Dirk.

they also aren't losing him in transition or on any secondary fast breaks either...regardless of help concerns.

they are doing a masterful job at making Dirk work for everything and Pop has been doing this for a few years now as Dirk has slowed down a bit and can't create offense on his own consistently....especially against a rotation of Splitter/Diaw/Duncan/Leonard.

So it's great for slowing down Dirk...although Dirk has missed some easy shots that had nothing to do with defense. I'm not sure it's great for stopping the Mavs as a team.

Anyway, this is such a fascinating series...so glad it's against the Spurs as well so I won't be crushed if we lost like if it were to the Rockets or some team I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    best moments for me in 2011, outside of seeing Kidd and Dirk get a ring, was watching Marion and Stevenson punk the best player in the game

When Marion called Lebron a "bitch"...it probably was my favorite moment of the 11 season.

Banned

When Marion called Lebron a "bitch"...it probably was my favorite moment of the 11 season.
    hater

Quote Originally Posted by Marlo_Stanfield
    hater
    Hahah. Come on...I like Lebron. Defended him for years on here, but that was just so amazing...

Dude got punked by Marion/Stevenson/Terry in the NBA finals...

although Dirk has missed some easy shots that had nothing to do with defense. I'm not sure it's great for stopping the Mavs as a team.
    yes, its exactly the fact that dirk didn't hit the few open looks that make me so suprised... for me he looked totally exhausted and SHAKY, a thing that i have never seen from dirk in big games. nevertheless go big german

i mean 2007 against golden state.... his father had at that time a very important operation...for me it explains for big parts dirks "choking". but no one seem to know this and dirk is brandmarked with the choking job

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    yes, its exactly the fact that dirk didn't hit the few open looks that make me so suprised... for me he looked totally exhausted and SHAKY, a thing that i have never seen from dirk in big games. nevertheless go big german

i mean 2007 against golden state.... his father had at that time a very important operation...for me it explains for big parts dirks "choking". but no one seem to know this and dirk is brandmarked with the choking job
    To me...missed shots happen.

He was in a mini shooting slump to start the series. He went 4 of 20...and of those 16 misses...there were 5 wide open jumpers, 2 layups, and a wide open 3. So at least 8 were good shots. Meh...just happens unfortunately when you shoot jumpers. The reason why it matters more now for Dirk is because he can't attack the rim or get to the ft line like he used to. That is the big difference.

Honestly, a 4 of 20 stretch just isn't that uncommon...especially going against a team doing everything to try and slow down Dirk. Having said that though...Dirk is 14 of 26 shooting after the 4 of 20 start.

I would replace "shaky"...with exhausted. Splitter is beating him up and playing great defense overall. He's fouling him to no call sometimes, but have to give Splitter credit...he's doing a great job.

So he's beating Dirk up and then Dirk has to set screens every possession and roll or pop...then on defense he has to guard the post, pick and roll, and defensive rebound...and he's playing 39 mpg after a long season.

Just tired...worn down. Dirk's ft shooting dropped to 87% iirc after the all-star break after shooting 91% before that. It's just a case of tired legs...it's what happens when you reach this age.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Normally I would say that Dallas winning a ring in this situation is impossible but that is what I said in 2011

It's really just all about getting HOT in the playoffs...if they can get hot then watch out

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

love me some Stevenson

Banned

Hahah. Come on...I like Lebron. Defended him for years on here, but that was just so amazing...

Dude got punked by Marion/Stevenson/Terry in the NBA finals...
    what should he do, lay out Marions ass?? that would have been the ultimate meltdown.
    and no he wasnt punked by marion, he was punked by the best defensive gameplan i have ever seen and a top 10 coach off all time in carlisle as well as his choking and inability to tell wade to give him the ball
    heres hoping mavs decide the series tonight