Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: MLS Surpasses NBA In Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    TOTAL BULL SHIT

Even for you this post is lame.

The Greek League basketball club AEK outdoor attendance was 120,000.

120,000 was the attendance in Greek Basketball League club AEK outdoor game.

If you ever have a valid, legit and pertinent point to make........PLEASE do so.
    The point KBlaze is making is that many NBA basketball teams would see much higher attendance numbers if their games were housed in larger areas, bumping up the overall NBA attendance. Teams like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Heat and Mavericks for example, would attract much larger crowds if they played in larger areas. However, because the size of the arenas that NBA teams play in are limited, attendance is also limited, and games reach capacity much more quickly.

Banned

That's really surprising. I watch a lot of MLS, and the stadiums are usually half full. There are some really big stadiums, and some are even NFL stadiums, but even then...

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    MLB capacity avg: 44,234

NFL capacity avg: 70,000

The smallest is the Colts' RCA dome at 60,272.
    largest is the Redskins' FedEx Field at 80,00

NBA is between 17,000 to 21,000 seating, most of of the venues are 18,000.

The NBA playoffs has had more viewers watching than the MLB for a few seasons now. The second most watched sport in the U.S.

What do we include from this? Euroleague is a moron.
    Colts haven't played in the Hoosier Dome since 2008. They play in Lucas Oil Stadium now, which is still just average by NFL standards, seats 63-70k.

Your general point's still correct, I'm just saying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    The point KBlaze is making is that many NBA basketball teams would see much higher attendance numbers if their games were housed in larger areas, bumping up the overall NBA attendance. Teams like the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Heat and Mavericks for example, would attract much larger crowds if they played in larger areas. However, because the size of the arenas that NBA teams play in are limited, attendance is also limited, and games reach capacity much more quickly.
    Still, most MLS soccer-specific stadiums have as limited capacity to around 20,000 just like most NBA arenas. Yes, Sounders' formerly QWest Field packs 30k a game in an American football stadium and boost the overall average a lot, but there are so many teams that don't draw well, many even worse than Kings or Nets. Still, you can see that a bunch of MLS teams' averages improve nicely compare to the last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L...cer_attendance

Compare to NBA that its average, which could have been better if lower-tier teams drew better, has gone nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    Still, most MLS soccer-specific stadiums have as limited capacity to around 20,000 just like most NBA arenas. Yes, Sounders' formerly QWest Field packs 30k a game in an American football stadium and boost the overall average a lot, but there are so many teams that don't draw well, many even worse than Kings or Nets. Still, you can see that a bunch of MLS teams' averages improve nicely compare to the last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L...cer_attendance

Compare to NBA that its average, which could have been better if lower-tier teams drew better, has gone nowhere.
    That's honestly pretty interesting to see. I don't follow MLS, at all, I'd assumed outside of the NYC/LA/CHI type major markets all the other franchises are in locales w/o much competition. Some are, but not the majority like I'd assumed. The ones that do have pro sports competitors are basically in large markets with vast amounts of disposable income though. Seems like a pretty well constructed league if they can continue getting soccer off the ground stateside.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    That's honestly pretty interesting to see. I don't follow MLS, at all, I'd assumed outside of the NYC/LA/CHI type major markets all the other franchises are in locales w/o much competition. Some are, but not the majority like I'd assumed. The ones that do have pro sports competitors are basically in large markets with vast amounts of disposable income though. Seems like a pretty well constructed league if they can continue getting soccer off the ground stateside.
    Basically, since 2006, MLS just goes where people want soccer (Toronto, Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal) and those places draw very well. NBA actually did a good job moving the team to OKC where people clearly want basketball and it works, though there are too many crappy teams that don't draw like a major league team. Moving Nets to Brooklyn and Kings to somewhere else will help the average for sure, but how much?

Basically, since 2006, MLS just goes where people want soccer (Toronto, Seattle, Philadelphia, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal) and those places draw very well. NBA actually did a good job moving the team to OKC where people clearly want basketball and it works, though there are too many crappy teams that don't draw like a major league team. Moving Nets to Brooklyn and Kings to somewhere else will help the average for sure, but how much?
    It's still far, far too early to judge OKC as a market. All the #s say it's a pretty bad longterm move. It's easy for a ready made contender-esque team to come into town with a ton of young superstars and sell a shitload of tix for a few years. Let's see how they're doing in 2021.

Colts haven't played in the Hoosier Dome since 2008. They play in Lucas Oil Stadium now, which is still just average by NFL standards, seats 63-70k.

Your general point's still correct, I'm just saying.
    Word. Most of the info I got was from wiki anyway

Nielson ratings are all up to date though.

Banned

It's still far, far too early to judge OKC as a market. All the #s say it's a pretty bad longterm move. It's easy for a ready made contender-esque team to come into town with a ton of young superstars and sell a shitload of tix for a few years. Let's see how they're doing in 2021.
    Yeah, when the star i.e. Kevin Durant is gone their fortune might change dramatically. And with the trend of having more than three stars in one team i.e. Miami Heat things won't go well for smaller market teams like OKC.

NBA courts are smaller (obviously) and the games are generally tougher to get into when you have bad seats. Horrible seats at a soccer/baseball/football game>>>>NBA arena. Honestly, watching games on your 1080p flat screen is better than going to a game...unless you're courtside.

Banned

Yeah, it sucks for people in Seattle. I've noticed, especially in the MLS, that fans in Seattle and Portland are usually really supportive of their city's teams.
    Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders home games are pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DFish
    Yeah, it sucks for people in Seattle. I've noticed, especially in the MLS, that fans in Seattle and Portland are usually really supportive of their city's teams.
    Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders home games are pretty awesome.
    If the whole SonicsGate movement and guys like Gary Payton and Slick Watts talking about how much they adore the Seattle fanbase isn't enough to convince people it's not the market but the business of it, I don't know what is.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

MLS stadiums can house more people, they play less games and thus have a less diluted average. Because NBA teams play several games a week, there's less weight to each game where as a 34 game season carries higher weight per game and thus attendance to each would be higher.

Banned

It comes down to this: soccer and basketball are different when it comes to how to draw attendance.

MLS doesn't really need stars to draw if the team wins or fans are loyal enough.

NBA does need both stars and wins to draw since loyal fans cannot buy tickets enough.

It comes down to this: soccer and basketball are different when it comes to how to draw attendance.

MLS doesn't really need stars to draw if the team wins or fans are loyal enough.

NBA does need both stars and wins to draw since loyal fans cannot buy tickets enough.
    It's why I don't understand why there's 82 games in a year. I get that that's where we are, and the attendance is still MUCH higher in terms of revenue than it'd be by going to something like 64 (meaning 9 less home dates a year) game seasons, but it's just a watered down product. We're not about to see a legitimate proposal to scale back the number of games in a season. But from a "health of the game" view, it needs to be discussed. It's the predominate reason the NFL does so well in terms of capacity sold, every single game means a great deal.

Or we can really get radical and switch up the lotto to something like once you're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs your win %, in terms of the positive from there on out, are factored in via some sort of ratio with the draft lotto; which helps prevent tanking to a degree. Maybe even make the 8th spot in either conference a sort of Wild Card. Couple that with an attendance % ratio during those games for strictly draft purposes. See who's invested, to at least a degree, before the superstar top 3 pick arrives. Just thinking outloud.