Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Just like I said, current Marion's D = overrated

I've been thinking this for quite some time now, and last night's game winner put an exclamation point on that notion. He's constantly been having trouble staying in front of his man, and last night Caron Butler practically injured him with how bad he got shook on the final play. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Raptors uniform next year, but anything beyond 7-8 mill/year and i'd have no problem in letting his ass walk.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
brwnman

Default Re: Just like I said, current Marion's D = overrated

He is not a lockdown defender, but you can see what he's trying to do. Last night he was playing for the drive on that last play, and Butler made that shot, and props to Butler. However seeing how much time was left, he should've let Butler drive cause Bosh was waiting right there if Butler took the baseline and it would've been a much more difficult shot on the drive.

However, Marion knows how to play D and is easily our best perimeter defender. Marion plays into the strength of the defense and pushes the guy where the defense wants the player to go and not where the player wants to go...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

I'm not talking about a one game sample. I've been watching his D since he got here, and it's been spotty. Not enough to justify being given a 10 million dollar deal. I'm not saying that he's a bad defender, per say. Obviously he's easily the best perimeter defender we have at the moment. But we shouldn't just throw a ton of money at him just because he's the first guy in years we've had that's actually capable of playing perimeter D at all.

Last edited by bokes15 : 04-11-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
antonaki1
Decent playground baller

If you watch that replay back closely you will see that Caron actually slightly pushed off Marion, that created the margin of separation. I'm surprised the refs didn't notice because it was definitly there to see. Caron did mention after the game that Marion is a great defender and he was pleased that he was able to shake him loose. Not really saying he's a great defender but i think he's at least better than average because of his length.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Burgz
Banned

we didnt lose because of one play
we made a lot of errors down the stretch and washington just wanted it more than we did.

pushoff or no pushoff, a jumpshot when the game is tied is not ideal, that is why marion was playing for the drive
butler settled and won the game. bad break
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
we didnt lose because of one play
we made a lot of errors down the stretch and washington just wanted it more than we did.

pushoff or no pushoff, a jumpshot when the game is tied is not ideal, that is why marion was playing for the drive
butler settled and won the game. bad break
I'm not using the one play as an overall judgment, it was just one example to further prove the bigger point. I'm happy we lost the game actually because we're staying low in the standings.

Last edited by bokes15 : 04-12-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

I think I would rather spend whatever money we throw at Marion towards Ben Gordon. He's younger and fills more needs in the backcourt where we are ridiculously thin on talent.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Yeah, I've been rather disappointed with the D that Marion has brought with him. Maybe he's not into it or he just doesn't have it anymore but he's not the defender he was made out to be by a lot of us(myself included) or himself since he has always prided himslef on his D.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I think I would rather spend whatever money we throw at Marion towards Ben Gordon. He's younger and fills more needs in the backcourt where we are ridiculously thin on talent.
+1

The money we CAN spend on Marion could be better put elsewhere.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

I agree that we should first look to spend the money elsewhere.

Also, Maniak your avatar made me burst out laughing, thank you!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
antonaki1
Decent playground baller

Trevor Ariza (Free Agent) Lakers= This is the type of player that would make a perfect complement to Bosh, Bargnani and Calderon at the small forward position. He's has Gerald Wallace type potential and knows how to get to the line. He's 6"8", very athletic and known for his defensive skills. He's got good ability to drive to the basket, in traffic and finish above the rim. Not bad at the fast break either. He shoots almost 50%, doesn't really shoot the 3 very good but maybe we could convice him not too. He's only 24, and made just under $3mill this season and doesn't demand the ball as much as someone like a Ben Gordon. I'd say he's due for a pretty hefty raise. Check out the first one especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTJ5AptyPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F-rCwhk0sc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCuoQ9asXA4
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
DJMason
Dunking on everybody in the park

For those saying that this is only one game, remember how Gerald Wallace tore Marion up so bad that Triano benched him after like 5 minutes? His D disappears at times which is not good enough if we're gonna pay above 10 mill in a recession for the guy when he isn't the shot-creator that we need.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

^^^ that's what i'm saying. It hasn't been just one game. Athletic guards and forwards are having a field day just the same as they were before we got him. Again, it's not to say he's a BAD defender, but if he tries to demand 10+ mill i'd gladly let him walk.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
^^^ that's what i'm saying. It hasn't been just one game. Athletic guards and forwards are having a field day just the same as they were before we got him. Again, it's not to say he's a BAD defender, but if he tries to demand 10+ mill i'd gladly let him walk.

I wouldn't pay him more than 6-8M. If we can get Gordon for 8-10M I would pick him up in a second but I doubt he'll settle for less than 10M. Maybe we can pick up Gordon, resign Parker, Graham and Pops and use our MLE towards Ariza? Is that possible?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #15
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

what if Caron Butler's offense was just too much for Marion, ever think of that? I will say Marion's D is not overatted but it's the best one we have right now. what options did we have before? bargnani? kapono? graham? please, I'll take Marion anyday, it's not like he performs like those 3 i mentioned earlier
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: