Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Arrow Official Offseason Thread!

I figured they made one every year and our season is done and discuss the rumours, news and happenings for off season here!

Last edited by danumber88 : 04-11-2009 at 11:43 PM.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Official Offseason Thread!

1. What are we gonna do with Bosh
2. How are we gonna get a slashing/scoring perimeter player
3. What to do with cap space
4. How are we gonna get some depth on this team

Those should be the priorities in order on Brain Colangelos list.

To answers those heres what I think we should do.

1. Try to re-sign him if not trad him before the trade deadline
2. Draft Harden, Henderson, Evans, or Derozan
3. Keep Marion hes a good fit with Bosh and Barganni
4. Sign Delfino, Graham, Hump, Pops, and Rasho

Line up?
Bargs/ Rasho
Bosh/ Hump/ Pops
Marion/ Graham/Kapono
Draft Pick/ Delfino
Calderon/ Ukic

Should be a solid lineup and more than enough to make the playoffs
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

The same lineup + a draft pick, Rasho, and Delfino is not that great of an upgrade to be honest.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
The same lineup + a draft pick, Rasho, and Delfino is not that great of an upgrade to be honest.

I think thats what will happen though.. we will improve with trades more than anything I think..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Umm.. why condense all the threads that could be made in this forum into one thread?

This thread is a great idea to comment and post news and rumours for the other teams around the league
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Hopefully we dont screw up again in this draft and land a solid pick. We really need it.

Also, I dont think resigning Marion is worth it. He wants waaaaay more money than he is worth.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Umm.. why condense all the threads that could be made in this forum into one thread?

This thread is a great idea to comment and post news and rumours for the other teams around the league

I actually agree with this.

Maybe we should make this thread for official news only? It might get kind of hectic talking about 9 different things at once in one thread.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1486366

Quote:
As the Toronto Raptors opened their training camp last October in Ottawa, Sam Mitchell, the head coach at the time, wondered aloud: if the 2007-08 team was kept together, could they have even made the playoffs?

His point was that the acquisition of centre Jermaine O'Neal was necessary to keep the Raptors in the post-season hunt in the improving Eastern Conference.

Everybody knows how the O'Neal experiment turned out, but six months later, the point remains valid: the East continues to get better, and standing pat seems like a bad option.

"I think the tide is starting to turn," Raptors forward Chris Bosh said. "Teams are getting a lot better [in the East]. I think next year, there are a lot of teams that want to build on things. I know we want to build on things, Indiana does, Charlotte, they're starting to turn the corner, and New York, too."

With that true, teams like the two that met at the Air Canada Centre last night -- the Raptors and Washington Wizards -- have to figure out how to approach next season. Namely, is it best to make major alterations, or hope that your current core becomes more cohesive with time?

With cases such as the Raptors and Wizards, it is tempting to opt for the latter. This season, however, suggests the former has some merit. Of the Eastern Conference's presumptive top five seeds, only one made a significant off-season acquisition. Cleveland traded for Mo Williams, but Boston, Orlando, Atlanta and Miami all kept moves to a minimum. (Miami did receive the added help of a healthy Dwyane Wade.)

Meanwhile, the Raptors were an unmitigated bomb this season, while the Philadelphia 76ers, which signed Elton Brand last summer, bloomed only when Brand was lost for the season with an injury.

"It doesn't necessarily work out like that. You're thinking some days, 'Well, if we get better at this, we'll do this.' You're not thinking that you have to stay consistent at everything else," Bosh said. "I think that's what's key. Sometimes you just have to work at what you have. Maybe bringing in certain players or having a certain philosophy doesn't target what you need to get done."

Of course, there is not making major changes, and then there is hardly tinkering at all. After the Raptors won 47 games and the Atlantic Division in 2006-07, Toronto's biggest off-season moves were acquiring Carlos Delfino and Jason Kapono.

Regression followed, and Toronto fell to 41 wins and a disappointing first-round exit.

"I think if you are standing still, you're probably moving backwards," Ed Tapscott, Washington's interim head coach and long-time executive, said.

That would especially seem to be the case this season. As Bosh alluded, the Eastern Conference figures to have fewer patsies than the West next year.

Just think of the teams that missed the playoffs: Washington should have a healthy Gilbert Arenas to start the year, as well as one of the first five draft picks; Charlotte has been a pretty good team since a poor start to the year; Milwaukee's year was derailed when Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut got hurt; Indiana is still evolving around Danny Granger; and the Knicks will have another summer to adjust to coach Mike D'Antoni.

Accordingly, Raptors president Bryan Colangelo will have to decide if a core of Bosh, Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon -- with some new parts around it -- is good enough to make a dent in a rapidly improving conference.

"I don't think there is such a thing as overreacting," Tapscott said. "When you've had a desperately disappointing year, you have to do something. Standing pat seems like the only thing you can't do."

The key is to not emphasize the desperate part.

The very last paragraphs raise very good points. should we build around calderon, bosh and bargnani? That should be the first question that should circulate around colangelo's mind
Old 04-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Don't agree with the Tapscott quotes though. Change for the sake of change is not the way to go or you risk falling into a Clippers-esque cycle of garbage teams. Unfortunately due to the Bosh situation, the Raps are going to most likely be forced to do that in order to compete next season.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
brwnman

Travis Snider ...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Travis Snider ...

Wrong thread.. lol
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4084369

Quote:
TORONTO -- Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo will offer forward Chris Bosh a contract extension this summer.

Colangelo hopes an uncertain economy will be enough to keep the four-time All-Star off the open market and with Toronto for as many as five more seasons.

Bosh has two years and approximately $33 million remaining on his current contract, but can opt out after next season, joining a hotly anticipated group of free agents that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire.

A six-year veteran who averaged 22.7 points and 10.0 rebounds this year, Bosh signed his current contract on July 14, 2006. Under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Toronto can re-sign Bosh for three more seasons after the three-year anniversary of that deal.

"Chris is still the best player on this team and thus will remain the cornerstone of the franchise," Colangelo said Monday, recapping Toronto's 33-49 season. "I will sit down and talk to him and his agent this summer about the possibility of signing an extension."

With the salary cap expected to go down and world financial markets still in flux, Colangelo expects the economy to "change options for players." As such, he'll pitch security and stability to Bosh when they begin negotiations.

"It's not out of the realm of reason, especially with the changing economic climate and where things are, there might be a model that actually looks safer to sign the deal now," Colangelo said. "We will explore that, we'll talk about it. I'm sure he'll review those alternatives and options and we'll see if it makes sense for him. If not, there's still no reason to panic and trade Chris Bosh."

If Bosh rejects the idea of a long-term commitment, however, Colangelo may be forced to explore trade options.

"If it's there and there's an opportunity to improve your basketball team, then obviously you make that move," Colangelo said.

Sorting out Bosh's future is just one item on Colangelo's to-do list as he tries to point Toronto back into the playoffs. The Raptors finished 13th in the 15-team Eastern Conference, six games out of a postseason berth. It's just the third time in 14 seasons as a GM that Colangelo has not reached the playoffs.

"Quite honestly, I didn't look at our record much this year," Colangelo said. "I had a tough time swallowing it."

To make the standings more palatable next season, Colangelo must decide whether to bring back free agent forward Shawn Marion, acquired in a midseason trade with Miami; guard Anthony Parker; and forward Joey Graham.

If he can't bring back Marion, Colangelo will try to replace him in a sign-and-trade.

"I have an idea of the teams that are interested in Shawn," Colangelo said. "With the market being pretty thin out there, his best option would be to utilize us as a conduit to get what he's looking for."

Toronto will try to re-sign swingman Carlos Delfino, who played in Russia this year, part of an effort to make the roster more "maniacal."

"We're constantly looking for that fierceness and we sorely lack it," Colangelo said.

Also undecided is the fate of interim coach Jay Triano, who took over after Colangelo fired Sam Mitchell following an 8-9 start.

Colangelo acknowledged that agents for other coaches have contacted him, but said he has not conducted any interviews. He said Triano's strong relationship with the players gives the former assistant "a very good shot at maintaining the job."

As for the status of assistants Alex English, Mike Evans and Gord Herbert, Colangelo said it's "safe to assume there will be change" in the rest of the coaching staff.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Wrong thread.. lol

HAHAHAHAHA! I was wondering where that post went, I was thinking that I must've not actually click Reply, or someone might've deleted it.

But hey, Travis Snider deserves a place in every thread...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

From now one we are going to be using this thread to post news and talk about other teams around the leauge.

There is no point in posting all the Raptors news in a single thread when this is a raptors forum.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: