Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Default Brian Colangelo to talk extension with CB4

Quote:
Bosh can opt out of his deal next year
Comment Email Print Share
Associated Press

TORONTO -- Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo will offer forward Chris Bosh a contract extension this summer.

Colangelo hopes an uncertain economy will be enough to keep the four-time All-Star off the open market and with Toronto for as many as five more seasons.

Bosh has two years and approximately $33 million remaining on his current contract, but can opt out after next season, joining a hotly anticipated group of free agents that could include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire.

A six-year veteran who averaged 22.7 points and 10.0 rebounds this year, Bosh signed his current contract on July 14, 2006. Under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, Toronto can re-sign Bosh for three more seasons after the three-year anniversary of that deal.

"Chris is still the best player on this team and thus will remain the cornerstone of the franchise," Colangelo said Monday, recapping Toronto's 33-49 season. "I will sit down and talk to him and his agent this summer about the possibility of signing an extension."

With the salary cap expected to go down and world financial markets still in flux, Colangelo expects the economy to "change options for players." As such, he'll pitch security and stability to Bosh when they begin negotiations.

"It's not out of the realm of reason, especially with the changing economic climate and where things are, there might be a model that actually looks safer to sign the deal now," Colangelo said. "We will explore that, we'll talk about it. I'm sure he'll review those alternatives and options and we'll see if it makes sense for him. If not, there's still no reason to panic and trade Chris Bosh."

If Bosh rejects the idea of a long-term commitment, however, Colangelo may be forced to explore trade options.

"If it's there and there's an opportunity to improve your basketball team, then obviously you make that move," Colangelo said.

Sorting out Bosh's future is just one item on Colangelo's to-do list as he tries to point Toronto back into the playoffs. The Raptors finished 13th in the 15-team Eastern Conference, six games out of a postseason berth. It's just the third time in 14 seasons as a GM that Colangelo has not reached the playoffs.

"Quite honestly, I didn't look at our record much this year," Colangelo said. "I had a tough time swallowing it."

To make the standings more palatable next season, Colangelo must decide whether to bring back free agent forward Shawn Marion, acquired in a midseason trade with Miami; guard Anthony Parker; and forward Joey Graham.

If he can't bring back Marion, Colangelo will try to replace him in a sign-and-trade.

"I have an idea of the teams that are interested in Shawn," Colangelo said. "With the market being pretty thin out there, his best option would be to utilize us as a conduit to get what he's looking for."

Toronto will try to re-sign swingman Carlos Delfino, who played in Russia this year, part of an effort to make the roster more "maniacal."

"We're constantly looking for that fierceness and we sorely lack it," Colangelo said.

Also undecided is the fate of interim coach Jay Triano, who took over after Colangelo fired Sam Mitchell following an 8-9 start.

Colangelo acknowledged that agents for other coaches have contacted him, but said he has not conducted any interviews. He said Triano's strong relationship with the players gives the former assistant "a very good shot at maintaining the job."

As for the status of assistants Alex English, Mike Evans and Gord Herbert, Colangelo said it's "safe to assume there will be change" in the rest of the coaching staff.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 04-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Default Re: ****! Brian Colangelo to talk extension with CB4

If he doesn't sign this summer, we take the best package of young players available that are offered to us. I hope he resigns though. Colangelo has been repeating the same stuff all year long. I really want more action than all talk. Pretty much sums up the Raptors season though. All talk, no action.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
If he doesn't sign this summer, we take the best package of young players available that are offered to us. I hope he resigns though. Colangelo has been repeating the same stuff all year long. I really want more action than all talk. Pretty much sums up the Raptors season though. All talk, no action.
Didn't I tell you this would happen Toni? Didn't I tell you it was just plain old common sense back when you were saying he MUST be gone before the trade deadline? It was clear as day that most likely BC was gonna have a sit down talk with Chris Bosh over the summer and find out his intentions and future plans. And then at that time he'd know whether Bosh is gonna be here long term, and if not BC will have to find an appropriate trade for him..... It's not even being a "Bosh lover" to say that, it's called logic.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Re: Brian Colangelo to talk extension with CB4

I guess the next few months are going to be a huge part of the future. If he rejects the contract theres gonna be some huge changes.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
brwnman

At least one way or another, we'll know this team's directions for the next few years based on this decision by Chris Bosh...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Oh Come The Freak On Chamberlain All I Said Is That I Hope He Doesn't Re-sign! Do You Have To Edit Every Post Of Mine?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
DJMason
Dunking on everybody in the park

Fingers crossed that a decisive move is made either way. I am not into the idea of a season full of "will he stay or will he go" following each loss. Fingers also crossed that any deal done with CB this summer is the result of some move that makes us significantly better and thus gives him the confidence to re-sign.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

We really need to keep bosh. This organization simply can't keep any Allstars, Bosh is our team and we need him he is everything to this team and plus if we don't sign him were going to put ourselfs WAY BACK in term of playoffs considering that all the other teams in the eastern conference are getting way better.

Simply we need Bosh. i hope Bosh resigns.

And i can a sure you that if we won't offer max money.

All the other teams with Cap space will be. Which pretty much states that he is a Max Money player who can be built around for the future. Why do you think whenever we hear about 2010 we hear. Lebron, Wade, BOSH.

Colangelo better get this done!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
bada bing
College star

The toronto raptors franchise needs Chris Bosh. Regardless of the fans liking Bosh's game, Bosh needs to stay here. He is the face of this franchise. We cannot risk going to the lottery or getting young players and hoping they develop into potential stars. We have a star and lets build around him not without him.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
Oh Come The Freak On Chamberlain All I Said Is That I Hope He Doesn't Re-sign! Do You Have To Edit Every Post Of Mine?

No, just the pointless ones.

And I agree to a certain extent with bada bing. If we keep throwing away our franchise players, we'll never get anywhere, but if he isn't going to re-sign no matter what, we really have no choice.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Didn't I tell you this would happen Toni? Didn't I tell you it was just plain old common sense back when you were saying he MUST be gone before the trade deadline? It was clear as day that most likely BC was gonna have a sit down talk with Chris Bosh over the summer and find out his intentions and future plans. And then at that time he'd know whether Bosh is gonna be here long term, and if not BC will have to find an appropriate trade for him..... It's not even being a "Bosh lover" to say that, it's called logic.

Dude I never said he MUST be traded before the deadline. Let me clear this up one last time.

After a game in February, Bosh pissed me off because he was struggling to win close games for us when he had the final shot in quite a few games up to that point. I made a brash comment about Bosh that has labeled me a hater by posters like bokes for a few months now. Let me assure bokes and everyone else one final time, I appreciate everything Bosh has done for this team and I realise that he is the best and most important player on this squad. I also think however that he is not a max contract player because he has been having a hard time throughout this season and career to win us close games like Wade, LeBron and Kobe can. Not that I'm comparing Bosh to those guards when he is a forward, but I still think the max should be offered to legit franchise players only. That's not me having unreal expectations for the kid, it's just my rationale for him not deserving a max contract just yet. Especially with the declining state of the economy which Colangelo mentioned, money should be spent wisely.

I have no personal attachment to Bosh and understand the business of the league to an extent that I know it's devastating for a team to lose their best player with nothing coming back in return. Therefore I'm opened to accept a trade that will bring us good young pieces to start the rebuilding process off on the right foot. Kind of like when Minny got Al Jeff for KG. But only if Bosh does not resign this summer. Then hopefully all this crap gets put to rest and we stop the Bosh/Bargnani competition and everything else we argue about. But honestly though, I hope Bosh resigns because it feels like we're going to have a good offseason and we might be a very competitive team in the East again next season. Maybe Colangelo is right.. maybe we're not that far off?

But please bokes read my posts more thoroughly, because you labelling me as a hater to that particular player has left you criticizing every post I made the past few months unjustly. You have been thinking every post has been derogatory to CB4, when in reality it wasn't. I was hoping that you would see some positives in my discussions instead of conjuring up negatives, but I haven't seen that happen just yet.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

^^ don't worry about it Toni, we all know you hate Bosh. I've only been here for a little bit and even I can see that. I hate him too, what's the big deal? Just admit it, move on, and call it a day.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

Colangelo brought something up this morning on the Fan this morning I never considered: The sign and trade. He made it sound like this morning that Bosh won't be traded this year, and they'll take their chances with what they can put around him next year. If it doesn't work out, BC can do a sign and trade with Bosh, which guarantees Bosh a max deal as if he had signed with TO and gets the Raps a ton of assets back. BC said thanks to Stephen A Smith earlier this year he took lots of calls from other teams regarding acquiring Bosh and he knows exactly what he's worth on the market.

Link:

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...21_100548_9452

Also, while I did subscribe to the 'Bosh has to be traded if they can't sign him this summer' mindset, what would be SO bad with letting him walk? Summer 2010 will be the most talent-laden FA class in history, and letting Bosh go would free up tons of $$ to land a couple of big name FA's. Just a thought.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Will those big name FA's come to Toronto though?

It would be cool if Bosh left and a player like LeBron wanted to prove a point a signed with Toronto. He'd feel like **** lol.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Will those big name FA's come to Toronto though?

It would be cool if Bosh left and a player like LeBron wanted to prove a point a signed with Toronto. He'd feel like **** lol.

Offer them enough money and they'll come... These guys want financial stability as much as anyone else given the recent economic climate. I'm not talking about the Lebrons/Kobe/Wades of the world, but check the list (again):

http://www.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2010/

It's not like Toronto is a bad place to play, either. Top 10 in attendance, world class city. Granted, some of those will sign elsewhere or with their own teams prior to the date (I'm sure Pierce is staying, for example). I'm not saying it's the ideal solution, but if he does walk, I'm just saying it's not going to be the end of the world.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: