Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #31
RapsFan
Good college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

I guess with Bosh we're nothing better then a 1st round exit. If he walks, then yes BC will do all he can to save his job/rep and do some patchwork efforts. It's a broken system that's for sure. GMs, like all people, do what they can to keep employed. At least this team without Bosh would be horrible and we could officially rebuild, at least via the draft.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #32
b4ball
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I'd be fine if Bosh walked and that meant a full rebuild which included trading Turkoglu, Bargnani and Calderon as well.

But we all know that's not going to happen. If Bosh leaves then Colangelo will go all-out with patchwork fixes to keep this team in the playoff race. It's going to be much worse than anything else.


I don't know how anybody can predict Colangelo. Nobody, and that includes you could have imagined what he was able to do with the roster last summer.

Last year moves have odviously not panned out, but he certainly tried to build.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #33
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,732
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Bosh is a top ten player in the first half of a season. This past year was another example of him coming in strong, playing above expactation and dying when it counts.

I'm a little blazé with Bosh. You want to keep a top ten player, but he's not a leader, does not play one of the two most important positions, and is a second teer player who want's and will get a maximum contract. Bosh has also been injury prone.

I'm not hatting, I just don't see a whole lot of upside even if he stay's.

I love Bosh, and I've been a big supporter of his since he joined our team in 2003. I remember there were rumors of a Rasheed Wallace for Antonio Davis/4th pick swap and admittedly, I was in favor of it as VC wanted to get that deal done, and I wanted the team to win now instead of waiting for the 4th pick to develop and waste VC's prime years. I was wrong and it was good management didn't make that deal. I have truly enjoyed watching Bosh grow and develop as a player the past seven years, as painful as some of those years may have been. I would hate to see him go, and as corny and cliche as it may sound, a part of me would go with him should he really leave. My heart will forever be with the Raptors, but I would subconciously root for whatever team Bosh should go to. When his team plays the Raptors however, all that sh*t goes out the window.

That said, there are a few things in the back of my mind regarding Bosh resigning. First off, he hasn't always been the most durable player around. Not saying it will happen, but there's the possibility of Bosh's max contract crippling this team in years to come. Say he goes down with a major injury, which is entirely a possibility considering his past seasons. We'd face a Houston like TMac situation where we'd have 20+ million dollars in payroll sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Second, there's the questions as to whether or not he is a max level player. I'll be honest, there are really only two players in the entire league who as of right now, I would give a max contract to and feel great about it, Lebron James, and Dwight Howard. Maybe Dwyane Wade. However, the rest of us aren't so lucky as to have one of those players so we have to settle for what's next. I think Chris Bosh is as good as you can get in that second tier. For a team like Toronto, a place that won't ever rank high on the top free agent destination list, sometimes you have to overpay a bit for talent. I do believe that a true winning team could be built with Bosh as the centerpiece, but that BC has never truly attempted to do so. I think that has more to do with the lottery seasons/first round playoff exits than Bosh's leadership. If you have enough tough, gritty vets like AD, Oak, Boogie, JYD, Chris Childs, you can live with Bosh's "leadership" style. Jarrett Jack is the only one who's shown he can be that guy, but he isn't enough.

Third, it's Bosh himself. If you want to get paid like a max level player, you need to respond like a max level player. We need the Chris Bosh that averaged around 10 FTA per game, not settling for the jumper and taking it strong to the rim. He also needs to make smarter and quicker decisions when he has the ball and/or the double team comes. If he can continue to grow as a player and make attempts to address these kinks in his game, IMO, he'll be worth that $133 million contract, or close to it, despite him being a second tier guy. Should Bosh resign, I don't want to see what's happened so many times before. That is, once a player gets paid, they decide to coast. Bosh has never struck me as that type of player, but you never know.

It really appears as if Bosh is looking for a reason to stay. From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like he is pretty big on loyalty. I remember earlier this year when he said nowadays too many players go from team to team and nobody has that sense of loyalty anymore. He's been 100% loyal to this organization from Day 1 and unfortunately, I feel like they haven't been loyal to him. I wouldn't blame him if he ultimately decides to leave. Bosh has said his main priority is to win. I realize that many players say that and very few actually back it up. It's like the old saying goes: "Money talks, bullsh*t walks". I for one, am anxious to see what will happen this summer. An interesting one indeed.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
bada bing
College star
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorfan_dr07
I love Bosh, and I've been a big supporter of his since he joined our team in 2003. I remember there were rumors of a Rasheed Wallace for Antonio Davis/4th pick swap and admittedly, I was in favor of it as VC wanted to get that deal done, and I wanted the team to win now instead of waiting for the 4th pick to develop and waste VC's prime years. I was wrong and it was good management didn't make that deal. I have truly enjoyed watching Bosh grow and develop as a player the past seven years, as painful as some of those years may have been. I would hate to see him go, and as corny and cliche as it may sound, a part of me would go with him should he really leave. My heart will forever be with the Raptors, but I would subconciously root for whatever team Bosh should go to. When his team plays the Raptors however, all that sh*t goes out the window.

That said, there are a few things in the back of my mind regarding Bosh resigning. First off, he hasn't always been the most durable player around. Not saying it will happen, but there's the possibility of Bosh's max contract crippling this team in years to come. Say he goes down with a major injury, which is entirely a possibility considering his past seasons. We'd face a Houston like TMac situation where we'd have 20+ million dollars in payroll sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Second, there's the questions as to whether or not he is a max level player. I'll be honest, there are really only two players in the entire league who as of right now, I would give a max contract to and feel great about it, Lebron James, and Dwight Howard. Maybe Dwyane Wade. However, the rest of us aren't so lucky as to have one of those players so we have to settle for what's next. I think Chris Bosh is as good as you can get in that second tier. For a team like Toronto, a place that won't ever rank high on the top free agent destination list, sometimes you have to overpay a bit for talent. I do believe that a true winning team could be built with Bosh as the centerpiece, but that BC has never truly attempted to do so. I think that has more to do with the lottery seasons/first round playoff exits than Bosh's leadership. If you have enough tough, gritty vets like AD, Oak, Boogie, JYD, Chris Childs, you can live with Bosh's "leadership" style. Jarrett Jack is the only one who's shown he can be that guy, but he isn't enough.

Third, it's Bosh himself. If you want to get paid like a max level player, you need to respond like a max level player. We need the Chris Bosh that averaged around 10 FTA per game, not settling for the jumper and taking it strong to the rim. He also needs to make smarter and quicker decisions when he has the ball and/or the double team comes. If he can continue to grow as a player and make attempts to address these kinks in his game, IMO, he'll be worth that $133 million contract, or close to it, despite him being a second tier guy. Should Bosh resign, I don't want to see what's happened so many times before. That is, once a player gets paid, they decide to coast. Bosh has never struck me as that type of player, but you never know.

It really appears as if Bosh is looking for a reason to stay. From what I've seen and heard, it sounds like he is pretty big on loyalty. I remember earlier this year when he said nowadays too many players go from team to team and nobody has that sense of loyalty anymore. He's been 100% loyal to this organization from Day 1 and unfortunately, I feel like they haven't been loyal to him. I wouldn't blame him if he ultimately decides to leave. Bosh has said his main priority is to win. I realize that many players say that and very few actually back it up. It's like the old saying goes: "Money talks, bullsh*t walks". I for one, am anxious to see what will happen this summer. An interesting one indeed.

good points but some comments on what you said:

1. you can never predict a season ending injury like Tmac, Grant hill or even Yao ming got. Those things are part of the game and a risk when you sign any player to a contract. Its part of sports. You can't say you are hesitant to sign bosh to a contract because you forsee a season ending injury in the future.

2. The market determines the player. If you truly look at it, does a guy like Jermaine O'Neal deserve the contract he had? Does the current shaq deserve his current contract? If you want to keep a player of Bosh's calibre, you gotta pay cuz if you dont, there might be 25+ other teams that are willing to pay for him.

3. When you have a top 10 player on your team, you do whatever to keep him. Finding gems in the lottery isn't always successfull. When you find one you keep him and build your team around him. Rebuilding a team from scratch isn't a sure bet. Just look at the draft picks the raptors have made since their inception. How many turned out allstars besides Vince, Tmac, Bosh? (maybe put camby and staudamire in there??)
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
RapsFan
Good college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

The only comment I will make is regarding max contracts. You have to remember that in the NBA there is a ceiling on contracts, so really what that does is limit what guys like Lebron and Kobe would actually be making. Lebron and Kobe types are hurt by the cap. So you can't compare all max guys. Bosh is a max player no question. So is Wade and Dwight and others. But you can't say, 'why would we pay Bosh the same as Lebron' etc.....it doesn't work that way.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,442
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

i just saw a piece on the score where glenn schiiler the useless trash he is said "bosh hasn't got the job done" lolz he deserves a punch in the face for that, I guess in general toronto fans don't appreciate what they have in Bosh I guess we will when he's gone
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Doko
High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 764
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
i just saw a piece on the score where glenn schiiler the useless trash he is said "bosh hasn't got the job done" lolz he deserves a punch in the face for that, I guess in general toronto fans don't appreciate what they have in Bosh I guess we will when he's gone

Well, if Bosh is gonna go play second banan to some other superstar it will pretty much mean that he himself knows what many say of him: that he as the #1 guy can't get the job done.
I hope he decides to stay and hopefully prove them wrong.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #38
bada bing
College star
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,065
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
i just saw a piece on the score where glenn schiiler the useless trash he is said "bosh hasn't got the job done" lolz he deserves a punch in the face for that, I guess in general toronto fans don't appreciate what they have in Bosh I guess we will when he's gone

he's a jackass. People that are talking about not signing bosh and are happy without him are idiots. You do not purposely try to get rid of a star player. I dont care what your situation is but you never rely on finding a gem through the lottery or through the FA market when you already have one. Look at NY...the 'mecca' of basketball. How many years have they been in the shithole now? how many stars were they able to sign or trade for? How many stars did they find in the draft?

these so called analysts are morons. i hear them on the radio and talk shows talking about bosh when you realize they are mentally retarded in terms of how the NBA works. They are no better than you or me.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #39
Tool
Ball til I fall
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rep Tdot til they bury me
Posts: 1,582
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

underground media is the way to go.

Just search The Basketball Jones. You'll never want to listen to anyone else talk ball.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #40
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,732
Default Re: "No matter what happens, me and Bryan agreed to work together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
good points but some comments on what you said:

1. you can never predict a season ending injury like Tmac, Grant hill or even Yao ming got. Those things are part of the game and a risk when you sign any player to a contract. Its part of sports. You can't say you are hesitant to sign bosh to a contract because you forsee a season ending injury in the future.

I know injuries are a part of the game, it's just that Bosh hasn't always been the most durable guy around. Maybe the T-Mac comparision wasn't a very good one as he never suffered any major injuries in Toronto or Orlando. His rep as being injury prone came entirely from his last few years in Houston. Bosh, on the other hand, has had some lingering injury problems. Again, I'm not saying he's injury prone, just that it's something to think about.

Quote:
2. The market determines the player. If you truly look at it, does a guy like Jermaine O'Neal deserve the contract he had? Does the current shaq deserve his current contract? If you want to keep a player of Bosh's calibre, you gotta pay cuz if you dont, there might be 25+ other teams that are willing to pay for him.

I agree with you, which is why I said as a second tier player(I think most people agree with that when comparing Bosh to Wade/Lebron), Bosh is as good as it gets when giving out a max contract. Superstar players don't grow on trees and when you have one, you do everything in your power to keep them. If that means shelling out the cash and spending big, so be it. It's just that if he stays, I'd like to see him work on some aspects of his game to make that max contract even more justafiable than it already is. I agree with you 100% when you say Bosh is a top 10 player. There are some who disagree, but based on what I've seen from him over the past few years, I think there's no way you can consider him any less. I've said many times before, he is a leigt franchise player, just not of the same caliber of a Lebron James or Dwyane Wade. That's nothing against him though as those guys are rare one of a kind type guys.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy