Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #31
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Default Re: 2008-09 new star SG/SF is _____?

The last few pathetic games has just re-enforced and made even more clear what the Raptors are, and what they need.

Raptors need a second star. A solid top tier player that can score and lead.

This player should be a winger, either a 2 or 3, which incidentally is also the easiest nba position to fill. This player is the missing piece and his driving will open up and settle the entire Raptor offense. He will take the pressure off the PG to score. Take the pressure off the C to score. Raps can go with a small man game and play Bargnani, or go big D and play a Slovenian. Raps have a lot of scoring options, but much of it comes at a price. The points are offset by poor positioning (Bargs shooting 3's), poor defense (Kapono, Calderon and lately Ford), inconsistency (bench, shooters).

The new star winger will make the 5th man (either Parker, Delfino, maybe Moon) look brilliant with the extra open space. Two of these three if they are still around would be playing on the second line. A very impressive second line.

The Raps have the depth to compete with anyone in the NBA, if the key missing piece acquired is a star winger.

A few more points:

- Raptors will not get C in a trade for Bargnani that will match his upside. Targeting anything but a star winger keeps the hole in the lineup.

- Moon should not try a three, ever. Every time he jacks one, the Raptor's 2nd best rebounder is also not under the basket grabbing the rebound.

- Bargnani can and will be a 20+ points a night player. However, only a solid number of boards, blocks and assists will ultimately determine if he can be a starter. If he adds solid defense sometime in the future, Bargnani will be a star player.

- No problem whatsoever with some of Smitch's unique lineups or tactics the last few games. (i.e. going small, trying guys out of position, trying earlier or later double teams) This is the time of year to do it.

- Raps are in the playoffs, and the only question is which poisition 3, 4, 5 or 6. It doesn't really matter where. The goal is to make the second round, where underdog status awaits.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #32
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

If these last two games showed anything it's that the biggest need is a rebounder. 0 second chance points results from not being able to rebound the ball.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #33
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
If these last two games showed anything it's that the biggest need is a rebounder. 0 second chance points results from not being able to rebound the ball.

You're looking at the result, not the cause.

Effort and his friend Grit didn't show. Besides, rebounder Bosh was out.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #34
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I'll probably take a little heat for this ..but I'd like to see Vince back in a Raptors uniform with >this< team..think he'd be a nice fit!

He takes alot of shots for being 'washed up" and slow ..but just cause he cant do crazy dunks anymore doesn't make him less effective. His game is different now ,focusing more on team play and playmaking ..

Not to mention he can play the 2 or the 3 .
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #35
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I'll probably take a little heat for this ..but I'd like to see Vince back in a Raptors uniform with >this< team..think he'd be a nice fit!

He takes alot of shots for being 'washed up" and slow ..but just cause he cant do crazy dunks anymore doesn't make him less effective. His game is different now ,focusing more on team play and playmaking ..

After non-stop booing from the crowd, i dont think he ever wants to come back. Plus it would be pretty awkward. Well probably need someone like michael redd. Hes good fit with raps.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #36
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak

Yup, and when he's playing like a star, his contract extension of $15, 16, 17, 18 million does not look that bad. He fulfils all the requirements the Raps want at wing, and even has a lot of Toronto contacts.

But its Vince. We all know he doesn't play every game, and the star needed here must be a leader too. No way the locker room will respect a guy like VC playing only on sunshine days.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #37
Too_Cool
I rule the local playground

Bring back Wince? Haha your funny....
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #38
brwnman

A healthy motivated Vince is a perfect fit for this team, but it won't happen, he didn't try his hardest and I don't want any player on my team that can freely admit that...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #39
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Doug Smith, TorStar link

"...this summer is time to make the bold move.... expiring contracts worth any combination of salary from about $2 million to $20 million and he can mix and match Rasho, Garbo, AP, Joey, Maceo and Moon however he sees fit.

I know a bit about how the GM thinks and he’s pouring over rosters finding an impact two or three from a team that might want to save some money long-term and he’s ready to wheel and deal.

So, here’s my list of guys he can, and should, go after. It’s not in any particular order.

Andres Nocioni, Mike Dunleavy, Mike Miller, Richard Jefferson, Boris Diaw, Andrei Kirilenko, Al Harrington, Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Michael Redd.

What he’s got to do is find a team facing possible tax problems in a year or two – a team with a lot of young guys who’ll need to be paid at the same time – or a team that doesn’t quite work as it’s constructed.

Four situations jump out at me: Nocioni, Miller, Jefferson and Kirilenko.

Personally, of that group, I rank 'em Nocioni, Kirilenko, Jefferson Miller.

He can’t sell it as a purely present day basketball but if he tosses in a draft pick or two it might make it more palatable."
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #40
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Andres Nocioni, Mike Dunleavy, Mike Miller, Richard Jefferson, Boris Diaw, Andrei Kirilenko, Al Harrington, Jason Richardson, Jamal Crawford, Josh Smith, Michael Redd.
Those are the ones that I'd like on the Raptors without taking cost into consideration.

Realistically though, I think I'd want either Dunleavy or Miller.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #41
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Hopefully Memphis isn't gonna look to rebuild on the fly and waste all their cap room next offseason. Then there will be more interest for our expirers.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #42
brwnman

I don't like Dunleavy or his salary at all, wouldn't want him on the team - he's not really the second scorer type that we need...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #43
RapsFan
Good college starter

Yeah I would want no part of Dunleavy. The guy has had one good season in his entire career and it's been this year, when the Pacers best player has been hurt all season. He's terribly inconsistent.

Most of the names floated around are so unrealistic it's crazy. Josh Smith and Iggy aren't becoming Raptors with expiring contracts being offered. Let's discuss realistic options. Oh and Redd isn't either. Mike Miller is a very good player, and a solid #2 guy that could be had with expiring contracts. But, he's basically Kapono but way better. Not sure if he fits. Rj is interesting as a guy who is a slasher and gets to the line a ton. I am not sure if he's readily available with Vince still on the Nets. No point for the Nets to deal away RJ for expiring deals if they are stuck with Vince's deal on the team. They would probably try and compete and get some playoff revenue.

Again, most of the guys on the list don't fit. In order to deal expiring contracts it's generally to a bad team that wants to rebuild and has a vet making decent money to unload. Nocioni might fit that mold but I don't think Chicago has rebuilding on their minds.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
Fubar
I usually hit open layups

LOL @ everyone bashing Mikey Dunleavy.

Personally out of that list I like RJ, Miller, AK-47 and Nocioni.

The Nets probably won't make the mistake we did by trading in the division. So the odds of getting one of the other guys is greater. Miller has great range but since we have Kapono I want a guy that can play defense at 3.
Fubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #45
brwnman

Redd actually is a very realistic option, the bucks have grown sick and tired of his chucking and are looking to get him out - he could be had at the right price...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: