Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default The Killing (AMC Remake)

Anyone checked it out? It had a solid start IMO and Im looking forward to the next episode. They managed to create a great atmosphere and a bleak mood which fits the plot really well. Its a remake of an acclaimed Danish series.

Book 'em Dan'l

Default Re: The Killing (AMC Remake)

i'm watching this show. i'm giving it at most 5 episodes to give a general answer about this show. i'm digging the first 2 so far.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I was aggrivated I missed the first two episodes. I remember it being advertised during The Walking Dead. I was definitely interested, but AMC just doesn't do enough mainstream advertising. I actually got reminded of it because of a poster on train when I went to the Yankee game on Thursday. I was pissed because they don't re-air stuff very often either. But I noticed they were doing the first two episodes before tonights new one, and I just watched all three.

It's fan goddamned tastic. Again, this is straight in my wheelhouse, because I'm a big true crime reader. But so far, this is a great bit of storytelling. A genuine mystery being allowed to simmer slowly. It's like it's gonna be a ten hour episode of CSI.

It looks great. Grimy in all the right spots. And Seattle, if that's where they actually shot it, it's so green and wet. The acting was great for the first three episodes. The devastated mom who was MaryAnne in season two of True Blood was great. Every character they're just letting you feel the backstories leak out on. Linden's single mom status. The other cops family history. Jasper's running wild without much attention from the loaded dad. The politician's dead wife. His underhanded girlfriend. Hell, even the teacher feels like he's got something coming.

I'll say getting through the first half of that first episode was a little rough. But as often with the case in a good mystery, it's hard to set everything up without giving away anything.

But I strongly recommend this to anyone who cares about good tv.

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

i've liked it so far, i just wonder how long they are planning to run with it, is it going to be just like one or two seasons?

So it's kinda like a more normal version of Twin Peaks?

Book 'em Dan'l

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    So it's kinda like a more normal version of Twin Peaks?
    im not going that far until we start touching the topics at a deeper level. we haven't touched the surface of the killing and some back stories.

good episode tonight. one thing i really like so far is the intro song to the show. very mellow, yet chilling in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
    im not going that far until we start touching the topics at a deeper level. we haven't touched the surface of the killing and some back stories.

good episode tonight. one thing i really like so far is the intro song to the show. very mellow, yet chilling in a way.
    I'm only saying that based on the description I read which made it sound the same type of setup as Twin Peaks. I'll have to download the first couple of eps and check it out.

Book 'em Dan'l

I'm only saying that based on the description I read which made it sound the same type of setup as Twin Peaks. I'll have to download the first couple of eps and check it out.
    ok that's cool. just don't want you to have the twin peaks setting in your mind while you're watching the show. i think if you do, you are going to let yourself down, because you're going to be trying to look too much for something that isn't going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
    ok that's cool. just don't want you to have the twin peaks setting in your mind while you're watching the show. i think if you do, you are going to let yourself down, because you're going to be trying to look too much for something that isn't going to be there.
    Yea, that's what I meant by a more "normal" version of it. Just the idea of the searching for a murderer of a young girl, the grieving family and each hour being a day sounds like TP to me.

Book 'em Dan'l

Yea, that's what I meant by a more "normal" version of it. Just the idea of the searching for a murderer of a young girl, the grieving family and each hour being a day sounds like TP to me.

hmm true. ok you get a good idea of the basic storyline. like the above poster said, it's a good show. i'm not going to say i'm fully committing to the show until i get to episode 5.

In a way its like Rubicon meets Twin Peaks.

In terms of Theme, and story telling mechanics, it's like a bigger version of Mystic River. The large ensemble, the open ended suspects, young love gone wrong, hidden secrets from the past.

I like it. A Murder Show that looks interesting to me.

Interesting....do people really like Murder/Detective/Crime shows? Seems kinda repetitive and brainless.....I bet they wouldn't do well. We know the average viewer is much smarter than that.

Hmmmmmmm...........I guess there are a few of those on television........like CSI or CSI Miami or CSI New York or Law Order or Law & Order: L.A. or Law&Order: SVU or Law&Order CI or NCIS or NCIS L.A. or Chicago Code or Hawii Five O or Castle or The Closer or Body of Proof or Criminal Minds or Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior or The Mentalist or Bones or Burn Notice or Numbers or Fringe or Blue Bloods or CHAOS or Southland or The Shield or Cold Case or Leverage or Memphis Beat or Franklin and Bash or Fringe or The First 48 or Human Target or In Plain Sight or Justified or Lie To Me or Psych or Rizzoli & Isles or Saving Grace or The Glades or White Collar or Cops or America's Most Wanted.

I'll pass on those.

But I do like The Killing.
    Last edited by bagelred; 04-11-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    I like it. A Murder Show that looks interesting to me.

Interesting....do people really like Murder/Detective/Crime shows? Seems kinda repetitive and brainless.....I bet they wouldn't do well. We know the average viewer is much smarter than that.

Hmmmmmmm...........I guess there are a few of those on television........like CSI or CSI Miami or CSI New York or Law Order or Law & Order: L.A. or Law&Order: SVU or Law&Order CI or NCIS or NCIS L.A. or Chicago Code or Hawii Five O or Castle or The Closer or Body of Proof or Criminal Minds or Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior or The Mentalist or Bones or Burn Notice or Numbers or Fringe or Blue Bloods or CHAOS or Southland or The Shield or Cold Case or Leverage or Memphis Beat or Franklin and Bash or Fringe or The First 48 or Human Target or In Plain Sight or Justified or Lie To Me or Psych or Rizzoli & Isles or Saving Grace or The Glades or White Collar or Cops or America's Most Wanted.

I'll pass on those.

But I do like The Killing.

It's the more serial element. I used to watch CSI, but you really feel the pacing of those one hours after a while.

pretty good show so far.

thinking the main politician is being set up (suspected him at first), but i'm sure that's just scratching the surface. something to do with his rival getting that expensive measure passed. no clue how the kids tie in besides helping to snatch up an easy target.