National High School Star

Default If my computer screen is scrambled, will a new graphics card work?

I plug my computer into my TV via computer monitor cable..

the screen turns on scrambled the past couple months and idk what to do. i want to use it again because it has my music software on there..

any idea what to do?

Default Re: If my computer screen is scrambled, will a new graphics card work?

Could be your connecting cable (DVI/VGA), I plug my laptop to a screen as well and screen distortion have always been due to faulty cable.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Try your motherboard's video output

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    Try your motherboard's video output
    is something done manually with my hands? or do you mean once the computer is on, i should check settings ?

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    is something done manually with my hands? or do you mean once the computer is on, i should check settings ?
    Does it have HDMI output? Use an HDMI cable to connect and see if it's still messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Does it have HDMI output? Use an HDMI cable to connect and see if it's still messed up.
    no hdmi input...

i did buy a new monitor cable recently as you suggested but the problem is still there.. googling said it may be my graphics card but i figured id ask here too if anyone had experience with it

Quote Originally Posted by unbreakable
    I plug my computer into my TV via computer monitor cable..

the screen turns on scrambled the past couple months and idk what to do. i want to use it again because it has my music software on there..

any idea what to do?
    This sounds like the connection between your computer and your TV is not correct.

So it's probably either the cable (check for bent pins) or the seating of the video output on your computer. See if anything seems loose.

Try to connect to another monitor that is not your TV and see if you get the same issues, if you do, try another cable.

If your TV and computer both support HDMI, I would try that. HDMI cables are available for under $10 and the connection is much easier than a computer VGA connection.