Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #76
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter
 
Richie2k6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,175
Default Re: Windows Vista

Just throwing this out there, but Macs CAN get viruses. They're just much, much, much less likely to get them than a PC. But Macs are not virus-proof or anything. Just saying incase anybody thought otherwise.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #77
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,748
Default Re: Windows Vista

Don't run VISTA, don't even know or care much about it, but I find this entire thread amusing on several levels.

First there's the guys who talk about the different packages that cater to different users, totally ignoring the fact that even the base package is ridiculously priced.

Then there's the idiot (Rainingthrees) whose running a pretty much top of the line system, and then bragging about how good VISTA has been to him and it isn't a resource hog. If he had half a brain he'd realize the true test of a resource hog would be trying to run it on a slower PC. Actually anybody with a top of the line PC has no place in this discussion period, because their computer will pretty much run anything without noticeable slow down.

Then there's Richie2k trying to argue that Vista may not be the best, but that doesn't mean it "sucks". For some reason I find it absolutely hilarious that he needed to make that distinction.

But most of all it's the retards in this thread that think you have two choices, Windows or Mac.

Showtime: V-unit is one of the said retards. He doesn't comprehend that you have options besides Microsoft or Apple for an OS. You're wasting your time even trying to explain to him that he's an idiot.

Been running Ubuntu for 2 years now, and loving it.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #78
YAWN
Very good NBA starter
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,522
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Just throwing this out there, but Macs CAN get viruses. They're just much, much, much less likely to get them than a PC. But Macs are not virus-proof or anything. Just saying incase anybody thought otherwise.

getting a virus on a pc vs getting a virus on a mac is like

getting a cold vs getting struck by lighting


just saying incase anybody thought otherwise.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #79
ALlArOuNDPIaya
Rational on Kobe
 
ALlArOuNDPIaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 438
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
getting a virus on a pc vs getting a virus on a mac is like

getting a cold vs getting struck by lighting


just saying incase anybody thought otherwise.
I can write a script that will erase OS X from your harddrive. I could also write one that would erase Vista. Which one is worse?

Hint: you're wrong.
ALlArOuNDPIaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #80
mongePR(kb24)
kb24 to boston
 
mongePR(kb24)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,206
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Don't run VISTA, don't even know or care much about it, but I find this entire thread amusing on several levels.

First there's the guys who talk about the different packages that cater to different users, totally ignoring the fact that even the base package is ridiculously priced.

Then there's the idiot (Rainingthrees) whose running a pretty much top of the line system, and then bragging about how good VISTA has been to him and it isn't a resource hog. If he had half a brain he'd realize the true test of a resource hog would be trying to run it on a slower PC. Actually anybody with a top of the line PC has no place in this discussion period, because their computer will pretty much run anything without noticeable slow down.

Then there's Richie2k trying to argue that Vista may not be the best, but that doesn't mean it "sucks". For some reason I find it absolutely hilarious that he needed to make that distinction.

But most of all it's the retards in this thread that think you have two choices, Windows or Mac.

Showtime: V-unit is one of the said retards. He doesn't comprehend that you have options besides Microsoft or Apple for an OS. You're wasting your time even trying to explain to him that he's an idiot.

Been running Ubuntu for 2 years now, and loving it.

Mathius

i have ubuntu too (dual boot) and i like it. Does not require a top end computer to run smooth, is pretty, very stable, the perfect choice for a computer programmer and excellent for web server use. The only thing that i dont like is the lack of compatibility of the vast majority of software and some "old" hardware. Another con is the difficulty to set things up, for me its easy because i am a computer programmer, but for an average john doe is difficult. You need to use the console A LOT more than in windows.
mongePR(kb24) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #81
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,748
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALlArOuNDPIaya
I can write a script that will erase OS X from your harddrive. I could also write one that would erase Vista. Which one is worse?

Hint: you're wrong.

He was obviously talking about an average retard, and he's right, although I suspect the reason has more to do with the # of people who use Windows vs. Mac. Windows zombies are more apt to download a virus because there are more users so it makes more sense for hackers to create mischief by writing viruses for Windows.

Linux without anti-virus is actually safer than Windows without anti-virus.

This is because there are very few viruses around for Linux, and there are so many different distributions of linux that if you DO download one, there's still an even chance it won't do what its supposed to anyways.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #82
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,748
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongePR(kb24)
i have ubuntu too (dual boot) and i like it. Does not require a top end computer to run smooth, is pretty, very stable, the perfect choice for a computer programmer and excellent for web server use. The only thing that i dont like is the lack of compatibility of the vast majority of software and some "old" hardware.

Yeah, but part of the reason for this is good 'ol Bill Gates shoving Windows down everyone's throat until it became a liability to write software for anything else. IE you can't make enough money to stay ahead writing software for Linux. The plus side is most linux software is written by people just helping out, or getting started, and its almost always free.

Quote:
Another con is the difficulty to set things up, for me its easy because i am a computer programmer, but for an average john doe is difficult. You need to use the console A LOT more than in windows.

I know what you're talking about and occasionally I find software I can't get to work. Part of the problem is so many linux distributions too. Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, Slackware, etc. etc.

But that's also getting better. Debian packages require just about no effort and are just as likely to work as any software you download for Windows.

OH, and I forgot to point out what an idiot V-Unit is for posting that link to WINE. WINE is such a piece of sh*t and totally bogs down your system. The moron's probably never even used Linux and just read about Wine somewhere. I know he's a die hard Microsoft idiot.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #83
v-unit
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,440
Default Re: Windows Vista

God you are lame Mathius. I posted WINE so linux users could use Windows, I don't give a **** if it's fast or slow
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #84
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,748
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
God you are lame Mathius. I posted WINE so linux users could use Windows, I don't give a **** if it's fast or slow

People run linux because they want to run linux, not because they want to run windows through linux. Emulators like that are made specifically for when there's a specific program that you can't use in linux. When the emulator works like sh*t, it's probably not worth the trouble.

But you did prove my point that you don't know sh*t about Linux or Wine. It's all good though, because the more stupid people like you defend Microsoft and Windows, the better it makes us non-windows users look.

Thanks for playing.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #85
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,572
Default Re: Windows Vista

lol you said you are dual boot mathias... what gives?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #86
v-unit
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,440
Default Re: Windows Vista

Nah, if you haven't noticed, everyone thinks non-windows users are retarded so it's all cool. I posted WINE as a joke because I was saying Windows is better, it would be funny to me for a linux user to still be using windows. GET IT?
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #87
Mathius
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 5,748
Default Re: Windows Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
lol you said you are dual boot mathias... what gives?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking? I have dual boot, yeah, I run Ubuntu, but I also have Win XP on here for those rare occasions when there's something worth while that I can't do in Ubuntu. which is becoming more and more rare.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #88
veilside23
alternick = loser :D
 
veilside23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: P.I.
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Windows Vista

VISTA is fine . but its like windows ME. but dont worry get windows 7 and you'll see its almost the same as vista but less issues.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy