Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
PainDog
I airball my layups

PainDog has an OK reputation so far
Default The loss of the mid-range jumper...

You know, I am noticing a tendency for “old school” players to get less credit than they deserve and the new guys to get more credit than they deserve.

You watch and NBA game now, and you would for the most part think guys were only allowed to shoot in the paint or beyond the arc. Everything, in between seems to be off limit.

“What’s he going to do?” well 9/10 times any more he is either going to drive it, or jack a three. The whole mid-range game seems to be near extinct.

Back in the day even not that long ago with Michael Jordan, the mid-range jumper was the primary offensive tool. Larry Bird is known so much for his outside game, but most of his shots came from mid-range, just like West, Gervin, Magic, etc. I mean, like Mike being known for Dunks, these guys were known for different shots other than the mid-range jumper, like Gervins finger rolls…however, the jumper was a primary tool in their offensive repertoire it was standard.

Also, these guys shot high percentages Gervin, Magic, Jordan, Bird etc all shot around 50%. That is 50% off of jump shots, not off of driving to the paint, where you collect fouls so miss shots aren’t counted against field goal percentage.

The NBA players of now, are of course more athletic on average than they have ever been. They are not in my opinion the best b-ball players that have ever been. Too often players hold the ball for too long. Plays are often predictable, and like I said the whole mid-range game is under utilized. There is too much tendency to rely on foul calls.

Some of those reasons, are why they haven’t done as well on the international level. Players are always expecting calls etc….

Don’t underestimate or under appreciate the old school players because they weren’t all as physically amazing as the guys now.
PainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board
Default Re: The loss of the mid-range jumper...

this topic has been talked like 1000 times on here.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
PainDog
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
this topic has been talked like 1000 times on here.

Sorry dude...I've only been on here for a few days....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
pethuel03
finger lickin' good!

pethuel03 has an OK reputation so far

yeah..melo pierce kobe and some others are the only ones who take midrange shots
pethuel03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

This topic comes up alot an its usually wrong, many of the role players don't have that shot, but almost all the current stars have a good midrange shot. They're not Songaila mid-range shots from a step inside the arc, which are just stupid because there is a 3 point line, but every star except Dwight uses some kind of shot from 15-17 feet regularly.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobore
This topic comes up alot an its usually wrong, many of the role players don't have that shot, but almost all the current stars have a good midrange shot. They're not Songaila mid-range shots from a step inside the arc, which are just stupid because there is a 3 point line, but every star except Dwight uses some kind of shot from 15-17 feet regularly.
Replace 'regularly' with 'occasionally' and you're right. Otherwise, I don't agree with your statement. There are little to no players in today's league that can turn to the mid-range as a first option of attack. Most players use it as a last resort and very few players have good execution of the mid-range shot.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Mr. V
I brick open layups

Mr. V has an OK reputation so far

Relying on your mid-range game usually means you are settling for jumppers. Random role players popping up from mid-range would get benched because 1) they are not spacing the floor and 2) they´re taking shots that are not for them to take. The game has changed.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #8
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Kyle Korver, Mo Williams, Rip Hamilton, Steve Nash = elite mid range shooters.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
PainDog
I airball my layups

Yeah, Kobe the leagues best player uses the mid-range jumper as effectively as anyone in the league. Rip Hamilton does a great job of getting jumpers behind screens.

Really, few guys use jumpers well.

To say a midrange game is a bench players game is insane. Even on defense everyone guard the perimeter or crowds the paint, the mid-range is open to be used especially if teams use screens the right way, like how the Pistons do for Rip.

MJ greatest player ever…was a mid-range jump shooter primarily, Kobe best player right now uses the mid-range jump shooter more effectively than anyone in the league….

It seems to me, that the people with a great mid-range game are rather elite. If players are just choosing not to use it, or consider it a bench player option then, that is their ignorance.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Mr. V
I brick open layups

Mr. V has an OK reputation so far

I think players should pop up from mid-range on transition offense more, though. It´s a pretty good shot to take and most of the time not contested at all.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Replace 'regularly' with 'occasionally' and you're right. Otherwise, I don't agree with your statement. There are little to no players in today's league that can turn to the mid-range as a first option of attack. Most players use it as a last resort and very few players have good execution of the mid-range shot.
Lebron has one but doesn't use it much, proportionately to 3's and drives, but he seems to get on fine anyways. All the other star players use it constantly. CP, Duncan, Kobe, Melo, Pierce... etc. Which player is it that you don't think uses it regularly?
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Relying on your mid-range game usually means you are settling for jumppers. Random role players popping up from mid-range would get benched because 1) they are not spacing the floor and 2) they´re taking shots that are not for them to take. The game has changed.

Exceptional point

Alot of franchise player can shoot from mid range but when they miss the first thing out of everyone's mouth is their settling for Jumpers. But we then contradict ourselves and call them athlete's with no all around game. Who can only dunk or shoot the long ball and say all they want to do is have highlights on sports center. But when their shooting jumpers or shots the defense is giving them everyone gets ticked off and says their settling.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
gpfanz
National High School Star

gpfanz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainDog
The whole mid-range game seems to be near extinct.

thats impossible. Even the guys who play on the court in my neighbourhood can shoot the lights out. They r not even NBA players

No?

Last edited by gpfanz : 08-02-2008 at 08:04 AM.
gpfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: