Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 LastLast

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    I don't care if it's a laughing matter, and I am not saying I agree with Arenas. I don't even like the guy. But even Stern admitted that he suspended him for the little joke at the end of last game. That's the shocking part for me. That someone is suspended for a joke. Even a bad one.

Icemanfan: we have laws, and far less gun problems and more security in Western Europe. But we do not have laws against jokes, thank god.
    But it's like, there's a time and a place for these "jokes." It'd be like if OJ Simpson during the time of his trial started leaving his house with gloves on... I mean, come on, it was just stupid and inappropriate for him to draw that kind of negative attention to himself when he was already under the gun (no pun intended)

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

Default Re: NBA has suspended Gilbert Arenas indefinitely until investigation ends

we have laws, and far less gun problems and more security in Western Europe. But we do not have laws against jokes, thank god.
    Who said he was being arrested for a joke? He brought firearms into a sporting arena in Washington, D.C., which has strict gun control. That's the only thing he'll be charged for, not for a joke. He's being suspended for that, which is completely reasonable for the NBA to do.

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Comprehension is not a strong suit for a lot of people I see.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981
    (don't have time to read through this thread, so maybe this has already been addressed)

Seems to me that when major stuff like this goes down in the NBA, that league takes a MUCH harder hit than when big time controversy rocks other sports.

I hope people don't use this to judge the character of the league as a whole. This isn't the Malace in the Palace or anything like that.

It will be 3 years of limited basketball for Arenas now. Unless they can somehow void his contract, the deal he got has to go down as one of the most outrageous contracts of all time. This team will be mediocre for years as a result (that, and their other dealings)
    Won't be nearly as bad for one simple reason: It's not on tape. The Malice incident was a live NBA broadcast.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C-Webb4
    But it's like, there's a time and a place for these "jokes." It'd be like if OJ Simpson during the time of his trial started leaving his house with gloves on... I mean, come on, it was just stupid and inappropriate for him to draw that kind of negative attention to himself when he was already under the gun (no pun intended)
    You're entitled to your opinion, and I fully understand and respect it. But agree or disagree with him, he shouldn't be suspended for it.

Of course it was stupid, so what. That's not a reason to suspend him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred
    Who said he was being arrested for a joke?
    I'm talking about the suspension.

[COLOR=Gray]He brought firearms into a sporting arena in Washington, D.C., which has strict gun control.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Teal]Yeah, yet he's able to sneak by security and lock his weaponry in a safe deposit inside the arena, well done Agent Zero...talk about strict gun control.

Know what? I'm not saying something would've happened, but can you imagine the backlash at the lax security had a REAL gunfight broken out? He shouldn't have been able to smuggle in his guns in the first place.

Fans have every right to be outraged by all of this ya know. I wouldn't feel safe inside a sports arena into which an athlete can bring guns that easily.
    [/COLOR]

You're entitled to your opinion, and I fully understand and respect it. But agree or disagree with him, he shouldn't be suspended for it.

He violated a rule that the NBA has that calls for a suspension if he violates it. So, you are just wrong. You can't change the rules to fit your opinion of what you think is ok or not.

You posted this before.

But we do not have laws against jokes, thank god.
    The suspension is perfectly reasonable. He brought weapons into his place of work and then joked about it in front of 20,000 people. I wouldn't want my employees bringing weapons into a sporting arena, either(Assuming I had any).
    Last edited by Alhazred; 01-07-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Not really defending Arenas here, he's an idiot, but you're not really accounting for the fact that Williams Killed someone. I repeat: Williams killed someone.
    The point I think you're missing is that the Jayson Williams gun situation was a progression. He didn't all of a sudden one tragic evening start playing around with guns. I remember reading articles about drunken target practice sessions long before the killing. There was even a rumor that he used to kill stray dogs for fun.

In Gilbert's case, the guns were unloaded but if this "outing" hadn't happened, who knows where things would have gone from there? Would Arenas, with his warped sense of humor have regarded it as out of bounds to bring a loaded gun to the locker room one day in the future? Can anyone say with certainty that he would have? I can't.

That's why Stern had to nip this in the bud. Had the league taken action when Jayson Williams' fascination with guns started to turn bizarre and dangerous, its possible that the limo driver would still be alive today.
    Last edited by Shepseskaf; 01-07-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbw19
    Yeah, yet he's able to sneak by security and lock his weaponry in a safe deposit inside the arena, well done Agent Zero...talk about strict gun control.
    Sorry, I meant to say "strict gun control laws". My mistake.

[COLOR=Gray]Sorry, I meant to say "strict gun control laws". My mistake.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Teal]Nice of you to apologize, but it's really unnecessary. I perfectly understood what you meant, I just wanted to point out to the security angle because it seemed lost in the shuffle, and found in your comment a suitable pretext.[/COLOR]

Saw a basketball once

I am ashamed of Gil and his actions. Our Wizards will be the target of the NBA the rest of the year. I know Mr. Pollin must be turning over in his grave. He has strong vews on stuff like this.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

if you think he was suspended for the joke you are dumb. It did playa role in stern deciding to suspend him before the criminal investigation was done, but he was suspended for violating a very specific nba rule (no guns at nba events). The joke just reaffirmed how lightly gilbo was taking the situation and that didnt sit well will stern.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    if you think he was suspended for the joke you are dumb. It did playa role in stern deciding to suspend him before the criminal investigation was done, but he was suspended for violating a very specific nba rule (no guns at nba events). The joke just reaffirmed how lightly gilbo was taking the situation and that didnt sit well will stern.
    Exactly. I'm sure if he wasn't joking around about this stuff, he wouldn't be suspended right now. But he's a moron. I'm sure David Stern was pondering what exactly he was going to do about this situation, and then Gilbert's joking approach to it gave him a clear answer.

Another wasted athlete. Its pretty sad. This guy had so much promise and then injuries and a bad attitude f***** it all up.

Now watch his contract get voided and then the Lakers sign him next year to the MLE to be there starting PG.

I love how people are waiting on this guys contract to get voided. Didn't happen before, not gonna happen now...keep wishing.

I've always wondered this, though. If you are in this much trouble, why can't you just make a call to David Stern to explain the situation? I mean, a quick phone call directly to Stern couldn't hurt anything. Any time I felt that I was in trouble at work, I felt it was better to go talk to the boss myself. If anything, it would prevent a whole lot of media/idiotic fan BS AND clear up some things. Just sayin...