Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

Default Shot selection with leads irritating.

Raps tried hard again, last night, to give the game away with really poor shot selection when playing with a lead. It seems to be a recurring theme everytime they have a sizeable lead late , to hoist up a bunch of threes or really long shots instead of really working it in close for high percentage shots that might also result in a foul. Problem with all those late game jumpers, is it's easy to miss 6 or 7 in a row, which they invariably do, and let the other team get back into the game.

It has happened all to often this way all year. When your up by 6 to 10 points, all you really need is a two every other trip up the floor to keep the other team at bay and the momentum on your side. It's important to try to run sets that get the ball inside and maybe get some help from the ref and get to the foul line. This is one spot where they will miss T.J because he would drive through the lane sometimes get fouled, and if not go up for the layup or stop and put up a high percentage shot from in close.

I guess it all comes back to finding a wing player who can expose the opposition in the paint. The only other way, is to create better offensive sets that result in getting it inside to one of your big men. Use screens, picks and players other than the point to get it there if you have to, by making more than one pass, it shouldn't allways be the point making one pass as teams are geared to defend from the point.

Playing smart with the lead is important if your going to finish off teams with a win and something the Raps need a whole ton of improvement in.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 11-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
b4ball
Local High School Star

Default Re: Shot selection with leads irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
Raps tried hard again, last night, to give the game away with really poor shot selection when playing with a lead. It seems to be a recurring theme everytime they have a sizeable lead late , to hoist up a bunch of threes or really long shots instead of really working it in close for high percentage shots that might also result in a foul. Problem with all those late game jumpers, is it's easy to miss 6 or 7 in a row, which they invariably do, and let the other team get back into the game. It has happened all to often this way all year. When your up by 6 to 10 points, all you really need is a two every other trip up the floor to keep the other team at bay and the momentum on your side. It's important to try to run sets that get the ball inside and maybe get some help from the ref and get to the foul line. This is one spot where they will miss T.J because he would drive through the lane sometimes get fouled, and if not go up for the layup or stop and put up a high percentage shot from in close. I guess it all comes back to finding a wing player who can expose the opposition in the paint. The only other way, is to create better offensive sets that result in getting it inside to one of your big men. Use screens, picks and players other than the point to get it there if you have to, by making more than one pass, it shouldn't allways be the point making one pass as teams are geared to defend from the point. Playing smart with the lead is important if your going to finish off teams with a win and something the Raps need a whole ton of improvement in.

That is if TJ didn't already shoot us out of the game at the beginning of the fourth quarter by forgetting he had team mates.

These are very easy coment to make. The game is out all about runs and a team that is down by 12 or 15 will inevitaby make a run and the defense will intensify. Easy buckets during that point of the game are not so easy when you have Sam for a coach whose only strategy is "come on guys we need a bucket / or a stop". But the point is valid in that we lack that killer instinct, and that won't change with Mr. Nice Guy Parker, and I'm allergic to contact Jamairo.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

It's when the lead is high, the bench comes on, and the lead sodomizes slowly until the starters get back again..

Luckily the bench stepped up last night.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
It's when the lead is high, the bench comes on, and the lead sodomizes slowly until the starters get back again..

Luckily the bench stepped up last night.

LOL, sodomy =
1. **** or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex.
2. copulation with a member of the same sex.

never thought I'd see that word used in this manner...lol

Last edited by b4ball : 11-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
brwnman

Excellent point by the OP. When they get leads, they start feeling like they are invincible and stop doing the stuff that gets them the lead. It frustrating. Bosh shooting 3s with 20 seconds on the shot clock? I don't care how open you are, run your offense and see where that gets you. That 3 that Bosh shot, he could've gotten that with 3 seconds on the shot clock. If anything, we minimize Atlanta's possession 'til the end of the game instead of letting them have time to get easy buckets...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
LOL, sodomy =
2. copulation with a member of the same sex.

never thought I'd see that word used in this manner...lol

LOL, did*** i say sodomize?

I ment vaporize I feel like an idiot.

Last edited by danumber88 : 11-29-2008 at 02:30 PM.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
LOL, sodomy =

hm... i want some
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Quote:

lol what were you thinking?!
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:

Nice Freudian slip ...
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: