Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Nowitzki Questioning Mavs

I agree it was kind of a mistake to break up that team but that was A LOT of guys to try and re-sign. It's not like they didn't all want long multi-year contracts as well. That's a ton of commitment and money to the same guys who might fall on their past success and get lazy.

Chandler - 4 year contract worth about $56 million / 14 mil a year
    Caron Butler - 3 year contract worth $24 million / 8 mil a year
    JJ Barea - 4 year contract worth $18 million / 4.5 mil a year
    Jason Terry - 3 year contract worth $15 million / 5 mil a year
    Jason Kidd - 3 year contract worth $9 million / 3 mil a year
    Deshaun Stevenson - 3 years worth $6.72 million / 2.24 mil a year

36.74 million a year in addition to Dirk's 21 mil a year/Marion's 8 mil a year
    Let's not forget most of these guys are role players, hardly the future of the franchise. Cuban put all his eggs in the basket for Deron/Dwight but I'm glad they didn't come to Dallas as they're both having disappointing seasons and have shown to be way overrated.

Now they are stuck in a bad place. CP3 doesn't seem to want to leave the Clippers with the year they are having. Howard's stock is falling and I can't believe they would be interested in him if he wants a max contract. Not many stars left even for this offseason. Iguodala if he opts out? Not many other impact players, I can see Dirk's frustration looking ahead.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Redemption
    You ever hear the very famous saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? In other words.... it's better not to gamble when you already have something good. I just think if I was an owner after winning a championship like that in such a beautiful way the LAST thing on my mind would be the future or saving money... or swinging for a free agent home run.

What's even more troubling is anybody who knows basketball could see the way the Mavs were built they were a matchup nightmare for Miami and OKC both, whom would be the most likely teams they will have to go through the couple years following their title. In other words I truly feel the Mavs could still be a threat for the finals right now if they stayed together for another year or two (so let's say 4 seasons after that title).
    I don't know if it was really a gamble. To me, if he had no clue if he could obtain Deron then it's undoubtedly a gamble. Deron teased him by saying that there is a strong possibility of him going there. That was enough to force Mark to blow everything up and turn Deron's interest into a contract. I do believe that he should have just re-signed everyone but there are zero teams in the NBA that would pass up on D-Will. Except for the teams with established point guards obviously.

And what the Mavericks did in 2011 was astonishing and very difficult to replicate. Jason Kidd was beastly on offense and brilliant on defense. Jason Terry was averaging over 20 points a game in the Finals. Now, he looks nearly retired with the Celtics. And Dirk was crap awful last year and injured for a huge portion of the season. He disappeared in the playoffs as well against the Thunder. Chandler is the only player who has sustained his effort. Asking all of these players I mentioned to get all the way to the Finals and beat the Heat for the second year in a row is very, very improbable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ispin69
    I agree it was kind of a mistake to break up that team but that was A LOT of guys to try and re-sign. It's not like they didn't all want long multi-year contracts as well. That's a ton of commitment and money to the same guys who might fall on their past success and get lazy.

Chandler - 4 year contract worth about $56 million / 14 mil a year
    Caron Butler - 3 year contract worth $24 million / 8 mil a year
    JJ Barea - 4 year contract worth $18 million / 4.5 mil a year
    Jason Terry - 3 year contract worth $15 million / 5 mil a year
    Jason Kidd - 3 year contract worth $9 million / 3 mil a year
    Deshaun Stevenson - 3 years worth $6.72 million / 2.24 mil a year

36.74 million a year in addition to Dirk's 21 mil a year/Marion's 8 mil a year
    Let's not forget most of these guys are role players, hardly the future of the franchise. Cuban put all his eggs in the basket for Deron/Dwight but I'm glad they didn't come to Dallas as they're both having disappointing seasons and have shown to be way overrated.

Now they are stuck in a bad place. CP3 doesn't seem to want to leave the Clippers with the year they are having. Howard's stock is falling and I can't believe they would be interested in him if he wants a max contract. Not many stars left even for this offseason. Iguodala if he opts out? Not many other impact players, I can see Dirk's frustration looking ahead.
    Due to Marion's success they could of easily afforded to let Butler walk. They made it without him anyways. Also Barea is a volume bench scorer which is easy to find and isn't a big loss. Stevenson did amazing in that system but otherwise is a very easily replaceable player. They could have let these lesser players walked and just kept Chandler, Kidd and Terry... in other words, the core of the team. That would have saved a ton of money but also let them contend for more titles IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    I don't know if it was really a gamble. To me, if he had no clue if he could obtain Deron then it's undoubtedly a gamble. Deron teased him by saying that there is a strong possibility of him going there. That was enough to force Mark to blow everything up and turn Deron's interest into a contract. I do believe that he should have just re-signed everyone but there are zero teams in the NBA that would pass up on D-Will. Except for the teams with established point guards obviously.

And what the Mavericks did in 2011 was astonishing and very difficult to replicate. Jason Kidd was beastly on offense and brilliant on defense. Jason Terry was averaging over 20 points a game in the Finals. Now, he looks nearly retired with the Celtics. And Dirk was crap awful last year and injured for a huge portion of the season. He disappeared in the playoffs as well against the Thunder. Chandler is the only player who has sustained his effort. Asking all of these players I mentioned to get all the way to the Finals and beat the Heat for the second year in a row is very, very improbable.
    Okay let's say worst case scenario they have a couple more WCF appearances before Dirk retires. Is that not better than what they are looking at now? Sure in 5 years they will be better obviously due to blowing it up sooner but it was a very bad move.

Letting go of Chandler was the worst move since Top 5-10 centers are hard to come by especially one that fit so perfectly along side Dirk. JET, Barea, Stevenson, Butler are all replaceable.

Serious playground baller shortsoptional's Avatar

Due to Marion's success they could of easily afforded to let Butler walk. They made it without him anyways. Also Barea is a volume bench scorer which is easy to find and isn't a big loss. Stevenson did amazing in that system but otherwise is a very easily replaceable player. They could have let these lesser players walked and just kept Chandler, Kidd and Terry... in other words, the core of the team. That would have saved a ton of money but also let them contend for more titles IMO.
    Every one of those guys, including Dirk, played as well as they will ever play. It took Dirk going bonkers in several games to get them where they were. Those guys and that team of the same makeup had been bounced in the first round 3 of the 4 prior years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shortsoptional
    Every one of those guys, including Dirk, played as well as they will ever play. It took Dirk going bonkers in several games to get them where they were. Those guys and that team of the same makeup had been bounced in the first round 3 of the 4 prior years.
    Wrong about it being the same team... Chandler's only year in Dallas. Dirk said all year long that Chandler was THE biggest change and difference on that team from previous years. Not to mention Marion only arrived 1 season earlier. So it was a different animal than the previous Mavs teams. They actually had great defense. I agree they all kinda played over their heads but that's just an opinion, it deserved a chance to prove us wrong.

No way you bring that team. As a Mavs fan that spends quite a bit of money every year on the Mavs product...I'd be pissed as hell right now if we were stuck with Chandlers albatross contract.

I understand Dirks frustration but he is the only loser in this deal, they weren't beating Miami last year with that same team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    No way you bring that team. As a Mavs fan that spends quite a bit of money every year on the Mavs product...I'd be pissed as hell right now if we were stuck with Chandlers albatross contract.

I understand Dirks frustration but he is the only loser in this deal, they weren't beating Miami last year with that same team.
    Lakers, Spurs etc have been 20 mill over the cap for this entire decade. It's the price you pay to win rings. Chandler got a hell of a lot but you don't break up a championship team over money, especially when your owner is a BILLIONAIRE.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Mark is one of the most intelligent men in the world.
    I don't really think so, but he's clearly a shrewd businessman. He outsmarted himself, though, with the decisions after the championship.

If Cuban had to do it again, I'd bet he would opt to keep the core of that team together.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    I don't really think so, but he's clearly a shrewd businessman. He outsmarted himself, though, with the decisions after the championship.

If Cuban had to do it again, I'd bet he would opt to keep the core of that team together.
    Yes he would!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Yes he would!
    It didn't matter either way.. The thunder got better.. The heat got way better.. The west in general got stronger since 2011. The mavs needed historic performances from Dirk and huge step up games from guys like barea. There's a such a tiny chance they ever would've repeated or won again with that team. Mark did the right thing if he wanted more banners.. Take the risk at getting true superstars on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    It didn't matter either way.. The thunder got better.. The heat got way better.. The west in general got stronger since 2011. The mavs needed historic performances from Dirk and huge step up games from guys like barea. There's a such a tiny chance they ever would've repeated or won again with that team. Mark did the right thing if he wanted more banners.. Take the risk at getting true superstars on the team.
    Are Dwight and DWill superstars?

So, the West got stronger. What matters is that if the Mavs had kept the championship team they would have been in the top tier of competitors.

Cuban outsmarted himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Borat
    This thread will be redundant next season, when Terry and Kidd are useless and Chandler's contract is 14m for 8/8 in 25 mins.
    Chandler had one good season and the Knicks threw 50m at him, it is completely plausible to not sign him given his injury history.

Meanwhile the Mavs have a possible lottery pick (not sure if owned or traded away), some good core guys and positioned for Dwight, CP3, Smoove, Jennings, Ellis, Pekovic, Bynum, Evans, Al Jeff, Millsap and a slew of good role players.

Positioned for 3-5 years of success instead of getting bounced by Thunder then 5 years of mediocrity.
    Use YOUR head son.

You don't even realize Borat is laughing at your stupid ass.

Every one of your posts in this thread is stupid. Yes, Tyson will just randomly fall apart next year and blah blah. Success leads to success. The team should have kept Chandler and gone from there. When Kidd expired, moved for Williams. Cuban didn't move for Deron last year. He gave up once Howard wasn't on his way. He's waiting for a splash.

CF86, you have to get off Mayo. He's very good and that's just it so leave it be. He's stuck in the middle of Cuban's boredom. He's still having a great year. That was a great move but the team has no direction. And they won't.

So maybe people understand what I say when I say "May as well trade Dirk"...it's not that they should trade Dirk, it's that Cuban has sabotaged his team.