Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Ridiculous numbers I heard about the WNBA (salaries)

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I think I remember Steve Kerr saying how he would get schooled by some chick named Cynthia Cooper, she was supposed to be the MJ of WNBA. How tough was Steve Kerr exactly? It's not like he was known for his defense, he was great as a spot up shooter, that was his role. While I do believe that no woman would make it in the NBA, I wouldn't be so sexist as to say it isn't possible
    it isn't possible. it's been tried. it hasn't worked. the size, stamina, etc. just don't cut it. no, it's not impossible in the same way it's not impossible that someone might be born who is 8 feet tall, or a lobster might be born green instead of red. but its so unlikely, that i question anyone arguing it could happen. it can happen only in a "the rules of probability states all things are possible" kind of way

note: why am i sexist for stating the truth? Women are generally weaker and smaller and have different muscle structures than men, and because of this and the fact that proffesional leagues have such a small % of people who can join that the probability of a women being THAT great to the point she'd be better than 99.9% of the men (which is what a man has to be to be a proffesional) that it's almost impossible. Women are doing just fine without being in the nba.
    Last edited by niko; 02-27-2009 at 05:54 PM.

This thread reminds me of a sketch off Family Guy I saw a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXT0OCm6bA4

Brian - This place officially sucks worse than the WNBA
    Analysis 1 - And at the top of the second half its 16 to 9, Easton leads the scoring with 4
    Analysis 2 - And thats why she commands $7,000 a year these gals sure do make it difficult
    Analysis 1 - But is having this minor skill worth being so unattractive? Thats for the FAN to decide

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonicman
    who watches the WNBA?
    Your dad with his boyfriend.

Just a joke. I had to.

NBA lottery pick

If a woman could actually play at a NBA level, then I'm all for it.

The truth is that it's not going to happen. The only way I could see that happening is if a woman took massive dosages of steriods, to be able, to get the testosterone needed, to increase her speed, stamina, strength, explosiveness, etc.

So you would basically need something like this...

Candice Parker(now) + Marion Jones(her prime steriod era) = first woman to make a NBA team roster. Even then, this player would probably be a back ups back up or coming off the bench at best.

But if you allowed steriods into the NBA, then guys would be jumping out the gym, and the Candice Parker + Marion Jones player would look like a WNBA player...

In other words.. not happening

Quote Originally Posted by haterofhaters
    The overall highest amount for this current year that a WNBA player can make is 97,500/year.

The salary cap for 2008/09 is 800, 000. Yes, let that sink in. That's how much a TEAM has to spend on a full roster.

Someone did the calculation out, and since there are 13 WNBA teams and the cap is at 803,000, if every team was maxed out, the entire league's salaries combined would be a little over 10 million/year. Stephon Marbury for comparison's sake makes twice the amount of every WNBA player combined for an entire season. WOW... If I ever have a daughter, i'm gonna encourage her to stay in school.
    If you look at the numbers objectively, WNBA players are actually overpaid. The league has been subsidized for years by the NBA. And most of the NBA owners originally didn't want to do it. They knew it was a money loser. But David Stern and political correctness twisted their arms into the deal.

The WNBA is not profitable. Without the NBA they never would have even been on National TV. WNBA TV ratings are terrible. And the league has developed an infamous reputation of exaggerating attendance numbers to hide sagging trends.

If you analyze the business numbers of sports leagues, you will find that the market for women sports leagues is non-existent. WNBA players are lucky the salaries top 97,000 dollars a year. Fan interest isn't there to support that high a salary.

The premise of the OP is wrong. The WNBA and it's players are fortunate to be in business at all.
    Last edited by t-rex; 02-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    the majority. NOT ONE wnba player could make an nba roster. Not one at all. this is not a question if there are talented female basketball players. this is a question if women can play at a level people will pay to watch enough to support a viable league. the answer is NO.

i fully believe you are good, i also fully believe some 16 yr old who is 6 feet and 200 pounds probably could physically pound you in a game. I've seen much more skilled girls outmuscled. That's why the college girls come down to play with the guys,because they give them an equal game to the girls.

the question is and remains are wnba players underpaid and teh answer will always be an unequivocable NO because the service they provide doesn't make money.

Let's say you want a slice of pizza. The store down the street sells for $2. I work harder than them, so i will charge $3. You should buy from me. Will you? NO. You'll buy whatever you like and that sets the price.

To say WNBA players are underpaid makes no sense to me. They aren't providing a needed service, they are entertainers who have no one asking for them to entertain them.

Mathius point was a great point. Are the guys playing in your driveway underpaid? They probably are more so than the WNBA people because at least them playing doesn't ahve overhead.

There isn't one WNBA player that could make even a Division 1 basketball roster.

A real good boys high school basketball team would defeat even the greatest WNBA team in league history.

The athletic difference between men's basketball and women's basketball is just to great. I think that's why women's basketball has a difficult time finding an audience.
    Last edited by t-rex; 02-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Actually if you look at the numbers objectively, WNBA players are actually overpaid. The league has been subsidized for years by the NBA. And most of the NBA owners originally didn't want to do it. They knew it was a money loser. But David Stern and political correctness twisted their arms into the deal.

The WNBA is not profitable. Without the NBA they never would have even been on National TV. WNBA TV ratings are terrible. And the league has developed an infamous reputation of exaggerating attendance numbers to hide sagging trends.

If you analyze the business numbers of sports leagues, you will find that the market for women sports leagues is non-existent. WNBA players are lucky, the salaries top 97,000 dollars a year. Fan interest isn't there to support that high a salary.

The premise of the OP is wrong. The WNBA and it's players are fortunate to be in business at all.
    Let me add something to that...

You guys got to understand that the average NBA team makes 100+ million dollars a year. If their team gets into the playoffs, they will make even more money. The two key words here is... making money.

now...

The WNBA is actually losing money.... The real question here is should these WNBA players even get a salary. The NBA has to give the WNBA money, so it can survive. Without the NBA there wouldn't even be a WNBA, because the WNBA isn't capable of making a profit on its own.

So a lot of women and men on here asking why do the males get paid more... well simple...

On one side you have the NBA making money... on the other you have the WNBA losing money.. who do you think deserve more money?

Not to mention... it's all about supply vs demand. The supply of people like Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan and on and on is short, that's why they get big salaries. If there were millions of players like this, then their salaries would plummet.

On the other hand...

I could create a team right now, of people I know, that could beat any WNBA team. However, that same team would get dominated by a NBA's team, who just put in their back ups back ups, to play my team.

So.. these WNBA players should be thankful they even make a salary.

Foster 5k..... that about covers it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    you said the women are underpaid. No, they are not. They get paid thousands of dollars to play basketball for a league that loses millions of dollars a year. it's in it's 13th year, and its weaker and has a smaller fanbase that ever. and yet, they still get paid 40k and up for a 3 month gig that loses millions of dollars for its owners. its charity.
    No I never said they were underpaid...you moron. Wow, this iq on this board is so low. Is you some gimmick account, or are you this dumb. All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount. I would get a real job. Almost all of my friends were former athletes and have made the same decisions.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount.
    Well, some people actually have jobs because they enjoy them not because of pay. Also, I know a lot of people who wish they made 34k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    No I never said they were underpaid...you moron. Wow, this iq on this board is so low. Is you some gimmick account, or are you this dumb. All I said is that "34 k bad", and I would never play for that amount. I would get a real job. Almost all of my friends were former athletes and have made the same decisions.
    why are you even in the discussion then? am i supposed to assume you are answering other questions and not the topic?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    But that being said having the job of playing bball plus all that time off would be awesome. And players can also make money through sponsorships.

yea and after u play u can coach which will get u even more than that

Banned

forget basketball
    my daughter are gonna play tennis LOL

Learning to shoot layups OzGriffin's Avatar

I have not been impressed by a female basketball player, ever.

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    when that league starts to turn a profit, gets massive TV deals and sells a ton of merchandise, the women will make more money. Its as simple as that.

BTW, what moron thinks maxing out at $97,000 to play a damn kids game is unfair?

The minimum they can make is $34,000. The Ls average is $45,000.

They only play 34 games.

they are fairly compensated.

and BTW, I'd LOVE to make $34,000 to play 34 games of ball a year.
    So true especially your last statement. That gives them tons of free time. If anyone thinks the NBA or any pro men's league is making too much money, just stop giving them that many endorsements and media attention. Simple as that Tens of millions for a damn ball game...I like their athletic performance, but that's a little ridiculous...I think in the future, historians would look back at our capitalist culture that allows athletes to make so much money in bewilderment.