Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 08-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Cggamer12
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Who Gets the Last Roster Spots?

Okay, so I am wondering who you guys would want or who you think should fill the Pacers final 2 roster spots. Larry has said that he would only take 14 into the season, but that could obviously change. So, based on the following roster I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts on this. Take a look at the roster.

1. T.J Ford
2. Earl Watson
3. Travis Diener
4. Mike Dunleavy
5. Brandon Rush
6. Dahntay Jones
7. Danny Granger
8. Troy Murphy
9. Tyler Hansbrough
10. Josh McRoberts
11. Solomon Jones
12. Roy Hibbert
13. Jeff Foster

So we have 2 roster spots left. Obviously we have the chance to sign 2nd Round Pick A.J Price. There has also been discussion that the Pacers have considered Allen Iverson in recent weeks (Yes I know, let the Iverson hating and bashing begin from some of you). But this thread is not about Iverson. I want to know if you think he or someone else would be a good fit.

A.J Price?
Allen Iverson?
Someone from Boston or another team in the Marquis Daniels saga?
Other?

I'd like to know your guys' thoughts on this. Who do you want to see represent the Blue and Gold with those last 2 roster spots? Also, please explain how we would get them for example a S&T and who we'd need to give up, a free agent signing, etc. It can be any of those ways.

This should be interesting.
Cggamer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

Default Re: Who Gets the Last Roster Spots?

I assume the Pacers would leave the 15th and final roster spot open (I think Bird said something about only carrying 14 players). Although, if someone gets hurt at the guard, forward, or center spots I can see the Pacers signing a player in the event of an emergency. I would like the Pacers to sign somebody at the guard/small forward position to fill out the roster and take up the 14th roster spot. Maybe, re-sign Stephen Graham who I have not heard much about this summer. I have posted before on this Pacers forum that I am a fan of his, and I like the energy/scoring spark he provides off the bench. If Graham does not re-sign with the Pacers, then a guy like James Singleton who played for Dallas last season might also be a good signing to help shore up the wing positions. He seems like a good hustle/energy/defensive player. This is just my opinion and speculation as to what the Pacers might do with their final roster spots. I may be way off on my Steve Graham & James Singleton ideas to shore up the wing positions.

I heard good things about A.J. Price during the summer league. He ran the team well, put up decent assist numbers, and displayed a nice perimeter jump shot. The Pacers seem to be all set though at the point guard position with Ford/Watson/Diener. It seems like it might be difficult for Price to latch on to the roster with so much depth at the point. Maybe the Pacers could just go ahead and carry 15 players to start the season (sign a shooting guard/small forward & sign Price). That's just an idea because I would really hate to lose a potentially productive point guard who might be able to contribute to future teams.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I have no idea what's up with the AI rumors. The only way for him to be a Pacer is a sign and trade with Detroit (long shot), or taking the vet minimum to play in Indiana (no chance). It just doesn't make sense.

They're enamored with Price, I'd be shocked if he didn't get signed. If they really are deadset on leaving the 15th spot empty, they've got to find a taker for Diener for a 2nd round pick or something. Unless we want to see stretches of Ford/Watson/Jones manning the 1-3 spots, I know I don't want that. There HAS to be another wing signing, Rush/Jones/Danny is all we've got that's healthy and who knows what Mike'll be like when he's back.

I just wish they'd fill out the roster with 15 guys, sign Price and then add a wing, maybe bring back Graham or pick up a Rodney Carney.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Cggamer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I have no idea what's up with the AI rumors. The only way for him to be a Pacer is a sign and trade with Detroit (long shot), or taking the vet minimum to play in Indiana (no chance). It just doesn't make sense.

They're enamored with Price, I'd be shocked if he didn't get signed. If they really are deadset on leaving the 15th spot empty, they've got to find a taker for Diener for a 2nd round pick or something. Unless we want to see stretches of Ford/Watson/Jones manning the 1-3 spots, I know I don't want that. There HAS to be another wing signing, Rush/Jones/Danny is all we've got that's healthy and who knows what Mike'll be like when he's back.

I just wish they'd fill out the roster with 15 guys, sign Price and then add a wing, maybe bring back Graham or pick up a Rodney Carney.
I'd love to bring Carney into the mix. He's a great player with an Indianapolis background, and someone I think the fans could get behind, in a similar way that they do with Josh McRoberts.

And we'd need to get rid of Diener to sign price in my opinion. We don't really need 4 point guards on the roster, so even though Diener may be a fan favorite, I find it hard to imagine we'd need him and Price.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cggamer12
I'd love to bring Carney into the mix. He's a great player with an Indianapolis background, and someone I think the fans could get behind, in a similar way that they do with Josh McRoberts.

And we'd need to get rid of Diener to sign price in my opinion. We don't really need 4 point guards on the roster, so even though Diener may be a fan favorite, I find it hard to imagine we'd need him and Price.

One thing that has me curious if we don't bring in another wing is if they plan on using McBob at the 3. I think he has some potential there, he's got the tools for it (at least offensively). I don't think they HAVE to get rid of Diener to keep Price, but it certainly makes sense and would make things easier. I anticipate Price taking every one of Diener's minutes and Travis to be sitting in a suit.

I don't want it to sound like I want Travis gone, I think he does wonders in the locker room keeping things loose, but he's just not an NBA player, especially not at almost $2 million.

I mean if Danny's knee flares up, or Rush isn't as consistent as he'll need to be, we're in a WORLD of hurt at the 2/3. I can't decide if I like putting so much weight on Rush's shoulders in his 2nd year or not.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
catzhernandez
Underrated

Quote:
they've got to find a taker for Diener for a 2nd round pick or something.

You're dead to me.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
You're dead to me.

eh, I would be very happy with a deal like that, Diener might be a great guy off the court, but we need help on the court. His contract is pretty big if you look at what he produces on the court.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
You're dead to me.

Says the guy who just found his way out of my basement. What up with that, no online access while off campus?

Anyway, if you really want Travis, great a guy as he seems to be, occupying a roster spot and getting any sort of playing time, you're content with sub 40 win seasons.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
catzhernandez
Underrated

Quote:
Says the guy who just found his way out of my basement. What up with that, no online access while off campus?

Anyway, if you really want Travis, great a guy as he seems to be, occupying a roster spot and getting any sort of playing time, you're content with sub 40 win seasons.
Yeah, no online access at all. Totally sucked.

It's just hard for me to see some of my favorite players go.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

I don't see what is so bad about Travis Diener. Diener is a productive player off the bench. He's good at pushing the ball up court and putting pressure on the defense. The guy also helps open things up on the offensive end with his accurate three point shooting.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
catzhernandez
Underrated

I love TD, and what's wrong with his contract? 1.7 mil aint ****.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Look, I enjoy Travis, but the kid is not an NBA player. I've never witnessed his "pressure on the ball" defense. He does have a quality 3 point shot but that's because his defender can readily leave him to help defend any sort of dribble penetration since he lacks the speed and strength to have any of his own. Is being able to pass to an open man in a freewheeling motion offense some sort of highly sought after skill? If we had a true 1, his deficiencies would be much more glaring in contrast, something I expect to become obvious with Watson.

I have no qualms with him being a 14th/15th roster filler sitting on the end of the bench waving a towel and keeping guys loose in the locker room, but he is not a player that helps you win, he's a player that helps you lose thanks to his inability to defend anyone. As for his salary, at BEST he's an 11th man, you like paying an 11th man ~250% of his allowable salary?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

My bad on misrepresenting the part I quoted, I misinterpreted, my mistake. I don't think his $1.7mm cripples the franchise or anything, it's just more than what he should make (the minimum). I certainly realize he does some positives on the floor, but he's just another guy whose man D we have to mask when he's on the floor. If we still only had 3 PGs on the roster (and I guess he is until Price is signed), I'd be fine with it. But carrying 4 obviously takes away a roster spot for better depth elsewhere. That's why I'd welcome a trade for a 2nd rounder or something.

Respectfully agree to disagree I suppose.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 08-23-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
catzhernandez
Underrated

Boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Cggamer12

Quote:
My bad on misrepresenting the part I quoted, I misinterpreted, my mistake. I don't think his $1.7mm cripples the franchise or anything, it's just more than what he should make (the minimum). I certainly realize he does some positives on the floor, but he's just another guy whose man D we have to mask when he's on the floor. If we still only had 3 PGs on the roster (and I guess he is until Price is signed), I'd be fine with it. But carrying 4 obviously takes away a roster spot for better depth elsewhere. That's why I'd welcome a trade for a 2nd rounder or something.

Respectfully agree to disagree I suppose.
I'd have to agree with this. For a minute, I will assume we do decide to sign Price. Carrying 4 point guards, with Diener probably as the worst of the 4, creates a problem with depth elsewhere. If we get rid of Diener either for a pick or whatever else may come with, I just feel that we could be a much better team overall as opposed to carrying a guy who really doesn't do much for us on the floor. Again, I agree his contract doesn't really hurt the Pacers, and yes he is a good locker room presence. I wouldn't oppose to keeping him if we don't sign Price, but if we do, I see no reason why we would waste a roster spot with him.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: