Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default The kids down the hall

watching the clippers botch another off season really makes me appreciate the lakers and Dr. Buss even more...

seriously how can a team be run so poorly?

Default Re: the kids down the hall

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    watching the clippers botch another off season really makes me appreciate the lakers and Dr. Buss even more...

definitely.

i'm of the opinion it all stems from the owner. probably not a controversial statement but if an owner wants a good team it's not that tough to be diligent.

Two Words...Donald Sterling

I just feel so bad for the clippers.

Just when they thought it would get better, they decided not to keep corey thinking Brand was committed to them. Now their plan backfired.

Clippers are still dangerous though. With brand gone, that means Kaman can now have the ball more down low and Al Thornton will continue torching teams with his athleticism while Baron davis scores, and distributes.

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

I have a funny feeling that the Clips knew Brand was going to bail and were not interested in spending 80+ mil on him.

Likewise I think Elton has wanted out for a while, but when the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with Miami about 4 years ago he was trapped.

I dont think Sterling ever had any intention of going over the cap, thus the Clips are stuck again in mediocrity!

Remember not to long ago the Clips had to spend extra money on players to get to the MINIMUM salary for a team?!?! I feel for clipper fan-->

I wish they weren't associated with the city of Los Angeles. I hope Stern gets them shipped to Seattle lol.

This is why I've never backed the Clips, Sterling is a joke of an owner and penny pincher, can't even get his own building, we gotta share greatness with lousyness.

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegod
    I have a funny feeling that the Clips knew Brand was going to bail and were not interested in spending 80+ mil on him.

Likewise I think Elton has wanted out for a while, but when the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with Miami about 4 years ago he was trapped.

I dont think Sterling ever had any intention of going over the cap, thus the Clips are stuck again in mediocrity!

Remember not to long ago the Clips had to spend extra money on players to get to the MINIMUM salary for a team?!?! I feel for clipper fan-->

lmaoo.... wow

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

I'm not so sure this is a case of the Clippers botching an off season, its more of one player (Brand) really not wanting to be there/the Clippers leery of committing huge dollars and 5-6 yrs on a 29 yr old coming off a major injury and one player asking for too much money (Maggette and his 5 yr 50 mil contract).

Knowing this they locked up Baron Davis right away.....hopefully he doesn't change his mind, and I dont think he will for two reasons, he's an LA guy who really wants to play in LA (he's always preferred the west coast) and secondly who else has cap space and is a place Baron would want to go?

The offseason is in its early stages, lets see how they finish it out....give our little brother a chance!

As is stands they have a pretty good base:
    PG Davis
    SG Gordon
    C Kaman
    SF Thorton
    PF?
    14 mil cap space

and lost a lot of malcontents
    Maggette
    Cassell
    Brand (he was a good professional, but I dont think he was happy since the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with MIA in 2003. He's an east coat guy stuck on the west coast.

Coming off that disastrous injury riddled season sure didn't help matters for the Clips.

Now having said all this I'm not saying the Clips are a well run team, but they sure didn't have much going for them going into this off season.

I'm an LA guy and west coast guy, I'd like to see the Clips competitive, so I'm hoping Davis stays committed and they continue putting that team back together.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alexthegod
    I'm not so sure this is a case of the Clippers botching an off season, its more of one player (Brand) really not wanting to be there/the Clippers leery of committing huge dollars and 5-6 yrs on a 29 yr old coming off a major injury and one player asking for too much money (Maggette and his 5 yr 50 mil contract).

Knowing this they locked up Baron Davis right away.....hopefully he doesn't change his mind, and I dont think he will for two reasons, he's an LA guy who really wants to play in LA (he's always preferred the west coast) and secondly who else has cap space and is a place Baron would want to go?

The offseason is in its early stages, lets see how they finish it out....give our little brother a chance!

As is stands they have a pretty good base:
    PG Davis
    SG Gordon
    C Kaman
    SF Thorton
    PF?
    14 mil cap space

and lost a lot of malcontents
    Maggette
    Cassell
    Brand (he was a good professional, but I dont think he was happy since the Clips matched the offer sheet he signed with MIA in 2003. He's an east coat guy stuck on the west coast.

Coming off that disastrous injury riddled season sure didn't help matters for the Clips.

Now having said all this I'm not saying the Clips are a well run team, but they sure didn't have much going for them going into this off season.

I'm an LA guy and west coast guy, I'd like to see the Clips competitive, so I'm hoping Davis stays committed and they continue putting that team back together.

I agree completely

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

I have to say, that I feel badly for the Clips fans. I really did not think Brand would leave them, but I understand business is business.

Unfortunately, this is par for the course for the Clipper organization. They went from feast to famine in a week's time.

shhhhhhh

Last week, Brand opted out of his contract with the Clippers, but Los Angeles was expected to make a strong push to re-sign him. Instead, he spurned the Clippers once agent David Falk said he was offered a "take it or leave it" contract on June 30. The deal was nearly $20 million less than what Brand signed for in Philadelphia.

"My intention was to try and work something out with the Clippers," Brand said.

Falk said the greater insult came when he was told that Clippers owner Donald Sterling said he would be happy with the 29-year-old Brand's decision either way.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3480691

I rule the local playground Devientz's Avatar

Instead, he spurned the Clippers once agent David Falk said he was offered a "take it or leave it" contract on June 30. The deal was nearly $20 million less than what Brand signed for in Philadelphia.
    Which was ~10mil less than he was offered in GS wasn't it?

Falk said the greater insult came when he was told that Clippers owner Donald Sterling said he would be happy with the 29-year-old Brand's decision either way.
    At some point you need to choose between success and money and its pretty obvious which is more important to Sterling. The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss that theyre not gonna get out of anytime soon with the current state of the western confrence. I think its about time for sterling to sell this franchise to someone who actually cares.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devientz
    Which was ~10mil less than he was offered in GS wasn't it?

At some point you need to choose between success and money and its pretty obvious which is more important to Sterling. The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss that theyre not gonna get out of anytime soon with the current state of the western confrence. I think its about time for sterling to sell this franchise to someone who actually cares.

He cares... its just he cares about the first aspect of the franchise you mentioned... the revenue $$... and hes been making plenty of it

shhhhhhh

The Clippers have just fallen back into the abyss
    the clipps never have left that abyss, they have made four trips to the playoffs since they came to LA in 1984. the lakers hav't missed the playoffs that many times... this is why the clippers have to use pictures of other teams stars to sell tickets
    "come see lebron james as he takes on your los angeles clippers"

for a team in such a large market it's deplorable how bad a team, they are.. there is no excuse for a 24 year slump...
    Last edited by gts; 07-09-2008 at 10:05 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

the clipps never have left that abyss, they have made four trips to the playoffs since they came to LA in 1984. the lakers hav't missed the playoffs that many times... this is why the clippers have to use pictures of other teams stars to sell tickets
    "come see lebron james as he takes on your los angeles clippers"

for a team in such a large market it's deplorable how bad a team, they are.. there is no excuse for a 24 year slump...
    Agreed! You spend money to make money, and obviously Buss has figured that out and Sterling has not. Yes, Sterling may make some money on the franchise, but he would make a LOT more if he produced a winning team consistently by even spending over the cap... oh well, its a shame what has happened.

Interestingly, I remember seeing a post from someone in the main forum, maybe a week or so ago that said that they met E-Brand at the gas station in LA right before the story broke, and that E-Brand was happy B-Diddy was coming to the Clipps... if that was legit, its interesting how $20M can change one's opinion.... honestly, I would have probably done the same thing. Thats a freaking lot of money.