Default Anyone a Business/Data Analyst?

Currently a Political Science Major/Public Admin Minor with one year left before I graduate and i'm worried about getting work. I know a little stats but no excel, SQL yet. I don't mind working with numbers, always wanted to learn excel just so I could make life easier for myself but never did. Would appreciate some advice on this.

Default Re: Anyone a Business/Data Analyst?

A data analyst or scientist needs to know lots/all of stats, data mining, machine learning, Excel, SQL and 1-2 of the following: R, Python, SAS, MATLAB, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    A data analyst or scientist needs to know lots/all of stats, data mining, machine learning, Excel, SQL and 1-2 of the following: R, Python, SAS, MATLAB, etc.
    Lol most of this only applies to data scientists and OP won't be able to get that kind of position without at least a master's in something quantitative anyway.

A data analyst just needs to be literate and know Excel and maybe some SQL.

I'm down with HRC

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Currently a Political Science Major/Public Admin Minor with one year left before I graduate and i'm worried about getting work. I know a little stats but no excel, SQL yet. I don't mind working with numbers, always wanted to learn excel just so I could make life easier for myself but never did. Would appreciate some advice on this.
    Business Analyst is different from a data analyst, it's more akin to a project manager. Either would be good to focus on. If you can present information including numbers clearly that is a useful in many, many positions.

But data analysis is much more math heavy. If you get into data check out
    Edward Tufte's work

https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/index

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Lol most of this only applies to data scientists and OP won't be able to get that kind of position without at least a master's in something quantitative anyway.

A data analyst just needs to be literate and know Excel and maybe some SQL.
    It applies to Data Analyst and Data Scientist. I read hundreds of those job descriptions a month. Either way the OP is ill-equipped for both. How do you go through college and not even know Excel?

Anyway, OP, the best way to know what skills you need for the job you want is to read job postings for the jobs you want. Then start learning the required and preferred skills lists.

NBA Legend

What does a plant analyst or scientist need to know?

It applies to Data Analyst and Data Scientist. I read hundreds of those job descriptions a month. Either way the OP is ill-equipped for both. How do you go through college and not even know Excel?

Anyway, OP, the best way to know what skills you need for the job you want is to read job postings for the jobs you want. Then start learning the required and preferred skills lists.
    My major only included programs like MATLAB and R, political science is more stats heavy than regular math if that makes sense.