Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Giving "beggars" money

Theres this tramp that I occasionally see on the train. He is pretty shaggy looking and always starts off with a speech about how he would really appreciate it if someone could see it in their heart yada yada. He then walks up and down the carriage but as far as I know NO ONE has ever given him anything. Everyone just acts like he isnt there and looks anywhere but at him. He hasnt given up though.

When I was in college (Im in Uni now) there was this basketball court right near my college which was near Kings Cross Station. It was kinda in like a small park and it was a haven for tramps. They literally lived there. It was kinda cool in a way cause sometimes when you would have matches on the court there would be a crowd of homeless people cheering lol. I saw numerous fights amongst them during my two years at college, fights about everything from cheating, area code beef to bets and misunderstandings. There was also this homeless tranny that was drunk one evening when we were playing and he pissed himself and someone called the police. One time my friend was trying to make fun of a drunk couple and he invited them to play a game to 7 with us. He recorded their drunken way of dribbling the ball and was laughing hard until the guy bum decided to lick his brand new basketball The lady bum then kicked my friend and scratched him and drew blood. Everyone convinced him he had aids, that was pretty funny.

But despite the comedy they provide I hate most homeless people, but I feel bad for those who are legit homeless and didnt put themselves into that situation through drugs or alcohol or whatever.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

It depends. If I have some loose change I'll usually give them some money. I don't really care what they spend it on. If they want to put it towards drugs or alcohol, go for it. Enjoy yourself.

Beggars get bonus points as well if they have a pet with them, do something entertaining or have a funny sign.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I won't give an able-bodied man a dime.

I also ignore (and feel like cussing out, but normally don't) beggars that approach me in traffic. In fact I hate that, I am often driving huge trucks around and I have to stop an entire lane or run them over. In the absence of law and insurance deductibles I wonder what I would do sometimes...sitting at home I know hitting them would be wrong but heat of the moment reactions are different. If it's not obvious, this is a pet peeve.

I do give money when I see kids.

I sometimes give to the elderly.

I do give to the maimed.

give enough so that it will hurt me. kobe taught me this

I don't give none of them money. I work for my money, so why should I give my money to them? When I was in college they use to be around this gas station where I use to go and buy candy and they always use to hound me, until it got to a point where I got tired and stopped giving them my money. I don't give money to nobody, but if they ask for a drink or food I give it to them though...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    I chose the term "beggars" instead of homeless, because the truth is that not all the people you see sitting on the side of the street asking for money arent necessarily homeless, many are drug addicts looking for a buck or two to get a fix.

today, he went inside this fast food chinese restaraunt that only takes cash, and proceeded to ask customers in line for money. this old lady was in front of me and when he asked her, the look on her face screamed panic and confusion, so i told the guy, "hey, you cant be doing that in here. etc etc" the guy glared at me and said, "mind your own business" and then took off.
    To the first quoted part, it looks like you are looking for accuracy or maybe the PC term. They are not all homeless, but they are not all begging either. Other available terms that can be used are "people in need" or people who are "down on their luck." Also, the way you wrote it makes it sound like they are either homeless or drug addicts, which leaves out a very common demographic of people who have homes but still rely on extra money received for other necessities such as food and proper clothing.

I too find that there are places where it is inappropriate to ask for money. Going inside a private business without intent or means to buy is one of them. I do get the idea of waiting at cash only places and food places, but not inside. A very appropriate way of going about this IMO is for them to ask people going in for spare change or request that any left overs are brought outside when the patrons finish their meals. I am very likely to give away food once I am full.

As for people on the street, I will be more generous when I have a steady income. If it is a time I don't give money (most of the time), I will say something like "Sorry, not today" or "I don't have any cash on me, sorry," but I try to be pleasant and say "hello" or give a smile rather than be just another person who tries to pretend they are not their or that I am repulsed by their existence. Their situations suck enough as it is, they don't need the added element of people giving them one of those shitty responses.

v As for people on the street, I will be more generous when I have a steady income. If it is a time I don't give money (most of the time), I will say something like "Sorry, not today" or "I don't have any cash on me, sorry," but I try to be pleasant and say "hello" or give a smile rather than be just another person who tries to pretend they are not their or that I am repulsed by their existence. Their situations suck enough as it is, they don't need the added element of people giving them one of those shitty responses.
    Funny thing is, if I knew they would use it for food or other stuff I could live with that. But most of them use it to buy booze and/or drugs. I am not going to pay for someone addiction...

kings fan

I give homeless people the best charity of all--death.

I don't hand out money anymore, but there have been several instances in 2013 where someone genuinely asked for food, so I bought them something.
    One time just this past July, a man was sitting near an In & Out Burgers, and he had a sign saying he was hungry. I bought him a meal through the drive-thru, and when I went out to give it to him, at the exact same time an old woman was giving him food, too. We both ended up giving him the meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I don't hand out money anymore, but there have been several instances in 2013 where someone genuinely asked for food, so I bought them something.
    One time just this past July, a man was sitting near an In & Out Burgers, and he had a sign saying he was hungry. I bought him a meal through the drive-thru, and when I went out to give it to him, at the exact same time an old woman was giving him food, too. We both ended up giving him the meals.
    And then you ****ed the granny, right?

My n*gga.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Funny thing is, if I knew they would use it for food or other stuff I could live with that. But most of them use it to buy booze and/or drugs. I am not going to pay for someone addiction...
    Dude, you're generalizing..
    And even if the person is buying just alcohol and/or drugs, they're trying to forget about their shitty situation for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    And then you ****ed the granny, right?

My n*gga.
    I didn't just f*ck that old bitch. I raped her.

i give food but never money

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I didn't just f*ck that old bitch. I raped her.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder

One dude in Montreal freaked me the f*ck out. Came up to me in a restaurant, poked me in the chest, spoke French, and totally looked like a zombie.